Roots in Sewer lines-pl. help

Users who are viewing this thread

Submohan

Reaction score
I had stoppages twice in the last three months. The technician cleared it the ran a camera. He found two breaks below concrete walk way. He suggested replacing the whole pipe form the house to the main sewer line for $3600/-.
I took a second opinion and these guys offered to repair the bad spots for $1800/-. When I look through the camera I saw the pipe was good enough till the part of damage. I am confused whether to replace the whole pipe and get it over with or just the trouble spots.

The question is is it really worth spending the money to replace the whole pipe?? What is the life of thse pipes thy said it is schedule 35.

The house is only 9 year old and think pipe is PVC

Pl. help resolve confusion

Last edited:

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
If your drain pipe is that old and is sectional (cast iron, etc.) and having root problems, cleaning out the roots will lastabout a year or two.
For the $1800 difference, I highly recommend going ahead and replacing it all.
It should last a lifetime.
Mike

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Submohan

Reaction score
Thanks. The house is only 9 years old. I think the pipe is PVC

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Mike. You've had failure in one place, I would be concerned that other problems may follow. Do the whole thing and sleep better.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

They could not tell the class of pipe from the inside, so would have to use their experience with other systems in the neighborhood to determine that. Can they tell why the pipe broke? It would be unusual for a PVC pipe to just "break" without some outside factor. If the pipe is not being squeezed into an oval shape, then repairing would be adequate in most cases.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks