Help tapping waterline for icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

narbertb

Reaction score
Hi all,

Its time for a new fridge and we want to get an ice maker. Unfortunately i'm in a town home on a slab and the only want to get water to the back of the fridge is to run copper from the pipes in the attached pictures.

I don't have a floor plan i can provide but real quick the pipes are under the staircase and i'll need to run about 15' of copper to make it from them to the fridge (across the floor, thru the bottom of a pantry, up the fridge.

About the pictures. You will notice 2 meters. The top one appears to be turned off. The knobs don't turn. The meter doesn't change.
The bottom one is definitely working.

Now for the questions... How do i know which lever is street side and which in internal house? Yellow or Red?
Then on which pipe do i tap to run the copper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,501
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,131

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't explain why the two meters. It looks like a hack job was done sometime. Have you examined both meters to see if there are arrows that would indicate direction of flow? Perhaps a real plumber can give more insight on which side is which. I can tell you that you should NOT use the saddle valve that comes with the copper tubing to tap into the water line. You need to solder a tee into the line, then use a ball valve and adapt the size to the tubing. Saddle valves are prone to fail. It might be time to have a plumber come in and clean up that mess. Might be enough copper in the meter to pay for the service call.:D

narbertb

Reaction score
I was hoping to go cheap and easy. I'm not planning on staying more than a year or so and was hoping not to incur an unnecessary expenses. Might just have to forgot the ice maker until the new house.

Thanks for the advice!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
That is a weird & ugly mess, but it might be pretty irrelevant, too. Is the fridge going anywhere near your kitchen sink? Easyest place to T off is right after the sink shutoff.

narbertb

Reaction score
Kitchen layout

There is the layout of the kitchen. Very small. Sink is kind of an island that connects to the garage wall.

The wall behind the fridge is a dead wall (dining room is behind it).

The water pipes come in under the stair case.

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,469

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
MG, what you think are ground wires are cables from the meter to a remote read indicator.

I'm pretty sure (not absolute) that the flow is from left to right. Look on the meter connections for an arrow.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installing a tee, valve, reducing adapters is not a major task. The tee can be virtually anywhere you can access a cold water pipe, but the closer to the fridge the better. You want to have enough copper tubing so you can loop the excess behind the fridge so it can be moved in and out. Since you are not planning to stay in the place for a long time, I would just leave what ain't broke alone. When you move, just leave the copper tubing behind for the next guy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you go from the sink, it could be as simple as replacing the cold shutoff valve for the sink connection with a two-port valve. There are valves for compression fittings or threaded, quick and simple. Then, run the line (suggest maybe flexible copper) to the frige. Leave a big loop behind the frige to allow it to be pulled out without kinking or stressing it.

Brasscraft makes a bunch that are in chrome, too. http://www.brasscraft.com/Default.aspx?Page=Products.aspx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks