Shower shock

Users who are viewing this thread

John B. Ginader

Reaction score
We recently bought a new (to us) home and have noticed that when I take a shower the temperature will sometimes get cold for 5-15 seconds. My wife showers in a different bathroom and complains of sudden high temperatures lasting 5-15 seconds. We do not shower at the same time. There are two water hammer attenuators in the system. Would a pressure regulating valve solve this problem? Thanks for any advise you can give.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the age of the house, the valves could be pressure balance valves. These are supposed to adjust the output to keep the hot and cold in balance if the pressure drops (like if someone flushes the toilet). Any clue if the dishwasher, washing machine, or some other device is turning on when this happens?

The pressure balance valves sometimes get sticky and can't adjust. If the house is old, then you may not have this type of valve so you may want to replace those with the newer, required (upon new construction or remodel) valve type. I consider a thermostaically controlled valve an upgrade. I like mine. I leave the temperature adjuster the same, winter or summer, as the WH is full, or nearing empty, it keeps the temperature the same until there just isn't enough hot left in the tank.

If you have pressure balanced valves, you might be able to remove, clean, and lubricate the spool valve that is the heart of the pressure balance mechanism.

Could be something I haven't thought of...see what others have to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks