Flange on a Tile-in sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Patt

Reaction score
Can a tile-in sink can be installed the same way a top mount sink would be installed onto a laminate counter top without tiles?

I am looking for a way to have a somewhat flat surface so counter crumbs etc. can be swept into the sink without jumping a hurdle. I do NOT want to tile the new Formica counter top. I am unable to find out the thickness of the flange on a tile-in sink is.

Thanks,

Patt

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it is risky to do this. It will be very hard to keep moisture from intruding into the edges of the substrate holding the laminate. There's at least a couple of companies that make a system to install an undermount sink on a laminate counter...use the search function in the blue bar to see what was said.

You'd have to look at the spec sheet of the sink in question...I don't think that there is a standard for the tickness of the flange on that type of sink. Normally, you'd set it almost like a tile (and anchor it from below if I remember), so you could get the height where you want it.

Patt

Reaction score
I don't doubt your knowledge, certainly.

If I may, please help me to understand a little more clearly.

When we installed our stainless steel sink, we ran a large bead of caulking/glue around the under side of the sink's flange edge and also countertop, which is suppose to keep the sink in place and stop any wet from creeping under the rim into the particle board, and of course there are clamps to pull the sink down. Wouldn't this be the same for any sink with a top mount?

Understand, please, I've never actually seen a tile-in sink other than in a picture which means my visual image may be skewed.

I actually got some great help on a previous post on this same topic, but unfortunately, II learned that one of the products, Counter-seal, must be installed at the time of countertop construction, and the 2nd product, Karran sinks, must be constructed on site by the Karran manufactures. So, alas, I am still searching for an answer to the non-flat top mount sink. I've even found a local franchise for Permaglaze, which will refinish an old cast iron sink assuming I can find an older sink. Really, I'm doing my research, honest, and I appreciate your help very much.

Patt

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks