Drilling a ceramic pipe for waste

Users who are viewing this thread

steevojb

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We are currently fitting a new kitchen and would like to put a sink in a center island. We have identified where the waste is going to go in that we have channeled the floor to meet the soil pipe for the upstairs toilet. We were looking at how to join the waste pipe to the soil pipe and noted the soil pipe is ceramic at the base. I am a little nervous about how and whether we should be drilling a hole into this pipe for fear of cracking it and causing all sorts of problems. What would be the best way to cut/drill this pipe so that we can get the waste into it ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Steve

TMB9862

Reaction score
You're going to need to do more than just drill a hole and stick your pipe in it. You need to remove a section of it and install a fitting.
If you can get your hands on a ratchet cutter than should work. A sawzall might work, I've never tried it. A cutoff wheel will also do it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Unlikely you have ceramic pipe. Never heard of it. Very old homes has clay pipe outside underground, but not inside. No matter WHAT the pipe is, you cannot simply cut a hole in it to join a new branch. You must cut out a section of the pipe, and insert a proper tee or wye, depending.

The pipe in your house is most likely cast iron, could be black or white plastic, or could be copper. The type of pipe will determine how you can join that new fitting to the old pipe.

This is a big job for a first DIY project, but could be doable. If you post some pictures, we could offer some more comments;

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Why couldn't you drill a hole and use a saddle tee or saddle wye? :D

Because it is not legal, that is why. And some very old houses do have clay pipe inside under the floor. You need a lot more than just a pipe from the sink to the drain line with a hole in it. You have to make a proper connection, then figure out how to run the drain PROPERLY, with a PROPER vent configuration.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Vitrified clay pipe can be cut with a chain snapper or a diamond cut off saw blade. The appropriate fitting can then be joined into the line with a banded coupling.

Lakee911, If you can show me a code that permits a saddle tee to be used for anything other than tying into a city sewer main I would be amazed. Sounds like you have a hack connection to me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
saddle

Not legal? :( Why not?

Not legal? Let me count the ways.
1. It probably does not have a sanitary sweep to it.
2. Unless the cut opening was chamfered at the bottom, there is a ridge inside the saddle.
3. It depends on a mechanical device and probably a rubber gasket to seal it to the pipe.
4. ALL codes prohibit saddles for drain connections. City utilities can use them for a main sewer connection, but they are under different regulations.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You need to call a qualified, certified, plumbing professional.

That probably won't happen to change a saddle tee clean out. Sorry.

Not legal? Let me count the ways.
1. It probably does not have a sanitary sweep to it.
2. Unless the cut opening was chamfered at the bottom, there is a ridge inside the saddle.
3. It depends on a mechanical device and probably a rubber gasket to seal it to the pipe.
4. ALL codes prohibit saddles for drain connections. City utilities can use them for a main sewer connection, but they are under different regulations.

1. Nope. It doesn't.
2. It was chamfered because I cut it with a saw (not a hole saw).
3. It is solvent welded to the face of the pipe and does depend on a u-bolt around the back.
4. It's a clean out only. Sewer, water and gas use them I believe. I actually saw one on my neighbors gas line in her basement! I won't use one again though. :)

It was a hack, I'll admit. Because my drains clog often (I've actually got a hole in the pipe, each cast iron section was laid backwards, and a pretty bad offset joint) I needed to be able to clean them out. I used the existing cleanout to tie in a laundry room sink and washer drain. It has worked well for a long time, but it's either technically not vented or wet vented.

Jason

steevojb

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, I will take a pic in the morning and post. A good friend mentioned the best way would be to cut then obtain a piece to allow me to connect the waste. He is an experienced plumber and coming over to have a look on sunday.

Thanks again

Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks