existing jacuzzi brand tub...jets are horrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

CompletelyHis

Reaction score
I have a jacuzzi brand tub that is about 13 years old. It has 4 jets, 2 on each side. The ports for the jets seem to be level, at best, perhaps even angled up in such a way as to cause water to remain at the bottom of the port, just under the jet. this creates a funk, which is not desirable at all! Ideally I'd like to replace the ports with some that will actually drain water out of them when we drain the water. the other option would be to build up the bottom, so that it would drain, using some sort of epoxy compound or something.

any ideas?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know much about jacuzzi style tubs, but I do know you need to flush them often. If you don't you will get bacteria building up in the. If you mess around with the jets you could end up breaking things.

CompletelyHis

Reaction score
my problem is with the port that the jacuzzi jet comes out of. with water staying in it after the tub is drained (it slopes away from the tub), i get bacteria build up quite quickly. it's a real pain, and significant design flaw, if you ask me.

CompletelyHis

Reaction score
that's a fancy word....what is a volute? My tub was manufactured 13ish years ago, don't know if that matters.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The fine print in the maintenance instructions for most jetted tubs calls for using a disinfection solution procedure around once a month. Normally, it'll stay reasonably clean inbetween. If this has not been done, you could have a really significant buildup that might take several cleaning cycles. That's one reason why I prefer an air-jetted tub...it blow dries itself after you're done.

CompletelyHis

Reaction score
I don't think i'm communicating myself clearly. there are 4 puddles of bath water left (one for each jet) stagnating at the bottom of each jet port, after every use. we clean it regularly, but we'd have to get way up in the port with a rag/towl and dry each of them specifically each time. if that is the way it is designed, it is stupid. that's all i'm saying. I'm looking for a way to fix this flaw, that's all. if there isn't one, and this is just the way of jacuzzi tubs, they suck. just my personal opinion.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not familiar with this model. But, by cleaning, I'm talking about adding special cleaning solutions to the tub, running it for the prescribed time, draining, and then using the second sanitizer. The exact procedure depends on the preference of the tub manufacturer. This is not a surface cleaning, it is for the internal piping and the pump.

It is always a good idea to rinse the tub out after using the tub when you have jets to get off any surface crud. A hand-held shower works really well for this. If you can get the leftover water at least flushed out with clean water, when it evaporates, it should not grow much of anything if the passages have been sanitized on a periodic basis.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The soap scum build up is not uncommon in a jetted tub. Regular flushing is needed. Do you really want to see soap scum disappear? Try liquid fabric softener!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks