View Full Version : Darkroom sink drainage

09-02-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a darkroom sink in my laundry room and need to get it to drain to the sewer system. I was hoping to avoid a costly plummer to come in and run a line so I am researching a free standing self enclosed pump system.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on which one would be best for me? The sink is about 7 feet away from the laundry drain and the drain hole is about 3.5 feet from the floor.

Will I be able to find one that can handle my developing chemicals? My water output won't be too heavy duty.

My other option is to cut a hole in the floor and run a line into the drainage system for the house.

Any other options?


09-03-2004, 04:42 AM

Although using a correctly designed & approved pumping system is the last resort over a gravity drain line connection, either way will require a licensed plumber to properly do the install and file the work and perform all work according to your local code.
Call a couple of local plumbers and get estimates.

09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
I'd worry about the chemicals sitting in the ejector pump if you didn't flush things out really well all of the time. Probably better to hook it into the normal drain line directly. Personal opinion, not necessarily well grounded!

09-05-2004, 08:44 AM
You have a number of problems here. First, most places do not allow you to use a pump system unless it is impossible to gravity drain (this does not mean inconvenient, it means impossible). Second, the sink (and the pump if you install one) will need to be vented through the roof or join with another vent above the flood rim level of the highest fixture. The sink also needs a trap. All this must be installed correctly. The pump has pretty specific installation instructions that MUST be followed if it is to operate properly. You would also need to see if the pump would handle the chemicals that you use. Next, you need to check with your local plumbing inspector to see if there are special drainage requirements for photo developing chemicals. Don't skirt this one. If you damage municipal sewer lines, you can be held responsible. Lastly, plummer is spelled plumber :) . At the very least give serious consideration to hiring a plumber for consultation and doing the work yourself if you still feel able after finding out what is actually involved.
The Pipewench