Sink Overflow Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

twilitemoon

Reaction score
Soap suds are coming out of the overflow area of my bathroom sink. I exclusively wash my hands in this sink. I do wash my hands frequently and perhaps this has caused some residual soap scum to remain in there. Is this a problem? Will the soap get into the pipes for other sinks, like the kitchen sink?
When I run the water for a bit, the soap stops coming. However, if I use a tiny bit of soap, then the suds start coming out of the overflow area again. I am concerned, being that I am pregnant, that the vent is clogged and sewer gases are being released. Is this a valid concern? And if so, how bad is that? Is it bad that I've been using this sink to wash my hands if this is the case? Have I essentially contaminated everything in my home? I have also read that there is a lot of bacteria in the sink overflow. I just want to make sure that nothing detrimental has been caused by this. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
OK, no problem. Your drain is just getting partially clogged with the usual bathroom soap scum, hair, oils, makeup, etc.
Easy fix.
Get a good non-caustic enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare. Run or pour warm water into the sink overflow hole and the sink drain (see instructions on jug), pour in a liberal amount of DrainCare, let it eat overnight, and then flush it all down with very hot water the next morning. I always start that off with a kettle of boiling water, and then just let the hot water run a while.
Enzyme-based drain cleaner is non-toxic, and won't harm you or your sink or fixtures, but it WILL eat out and dissolve the organic gunk build-up around the inside of your pipe and sink. Sometimes the gunk, if it has built up badly, dissolves into a gel-like blob, and you may have to stop up the overflow hole with your thumb, and plunge the sink drain a bit to get it going, but it will go. You also can sanitize your overflow with a bit of regular bleach poured into the hole.
I coincidentally did one of our bathroom sinks just like this with DrainCare a week or so ago for the same reason. Works like a charm.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks