New Gas Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

ddmoit

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new gas water heater. From what I gathered from a search on this forum, I should be fine going with any of these brands:

Rheem
Ruud
Richmond
Bradford White

Additionally, I should avoid Whirlpool.

The good model is about the same as the best model.

I've seen Richmonds sold locally, so that is likely what I would get.

Please correct me if I have the above information wrong.:eek:

Is there any advantage to a 50 gallon tank if a 40 gallon tank has seemed adequate in the past?

Thank you for your time and expertise!

ddmoit

Reaction score
It's gas.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a power vent? I'm assuming that since I don't know, I probably don't have one.

The vent at the top of the water heater is routed through a 4" galvanized pipe into the same chimney flue as my boiler. It looks about the same as any I have seen.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Power vent uses PVC to for its exsaust through the sidewall.Go with the
recamendations for a normal vent W/H.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

If you buy Rheem, Ruud, Richmond, GE, Vanguard, or a couple of other brands you will get the same heater, just different labels. Same with some other brands, i.e., State/AO Smith/ Kenmore/ Reliance, etc. There is almost no difference in heaters. The difference is where you buy them, because some sources seem to get more "defective" heaters than others.

ddmoit

Reaction score
OK, I get the picture.

I'm going with the Lochinvar which is what my local plumber supplies and installs. He may even be out today to get it done - pretty decent for a non-emergency.

For a while, I was considering an indirect heat model that I could hook up to my boiler, but I was persuaded otherwise by the prospect of my boiler running all summer.

Thanks for all your informed opinions!:)

ddmoit

Reaction score
Update: The Lochinvar was online by lunch time yesterday. There was plenty of hot water for evening showers. Thanks again to all who contribute to this forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks