no hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

rbs62

Reaction score
i have a 28 gal w/h 120volt single element water stopped getting hot 1 night and changed the element no hot water changed a second element still no hot water changed the theramt 2 times still no hot water.. i have 117 volt at them and element. it is a side inlet at bottom so no down tube. HELP

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Unlikely that 2 replacement elements would be bad, but try measuring the element resistance to make sure it isn't open. Turn off power, disconnect one line from the element, measure resistance across both element connectors). Should be around 10-12 ohms, I'm guessing, to dissipate 1200 watts or so.

I assume you're getting good water flow, it's just not hot, right?

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not really up on 120v single element heaters, but I would look for the wiring grounding out on the tank, or some wiring or breaker problem.

maybe you have a leak on the hot side somewhere.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The water heater is grounded so if you are using the tank to check for voltage you may not be getting the right reading. Be sure the neutral is working and then trace the hot side using the neutral and you should find the problem.

BTW you are not turning on the elements B 4 the tank is filled with water are you?

rbs62

Reaction score
it was the bad therm second one put in finlly the thrid therm worked thanks for help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks