Leak from toilet base

Users who are viewing this thread

mac66

Reaction score
Noticed that my toilet is leaking just a bit on the back end of the base. Cheked the hose for the water and thats not it. also checked the bottom of the tank to make sure it wasnt cracked and that was ok. Could this be the wax ring?

TIA
Mike

MG

Reaction score
Put some food coloring in the tank and flush the toilet to see if it shows up there. You want to see it coming from a loose tank bolt or the tank to bowl connection - those are fixable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On top of the floor, it would not be the drain pipe, but it could be the seal. I suppose it could be a rusted out flange.

Does the toilet rock at all? If so, take it off, replace the seal, shim it first so it doesn't rock.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Turn off the stop valve and see if either the tank or the bowl drains overnight. That will tell you if you've got a tank or bowl leak and you can go from there. If neither drains, it's leaking only during the flush, which is either a bowl leak, or a wax seal leak. In either bowl leak scenario, you're almost certainly going to have to replace the bowl.

Replacing the wax seal is no big deal, but has to be done right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks