Stack Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

orbea1

Reaction score
My husband and I are remodeling our bathroom and we would love to move a wall about 2 feet to open up the space. Problem is the 3" DWV Stack Vent is in that wall. Everything i have looked at has the Stack Vent as a straight pipe that goes from the basement up through the roof. My question is can you have a small horizontal section in the Stack Vent or does it absolutely have to be straight. We would be tapping into the pipe above the last place where any drain pipes are stack vented so there would not be any waste water that would have to go thru the horizontal section, just air flow. If that is OK we would then put a 2 foot horizontal between the floor joists to where the new wall will be and then go vertical. Once in the attic we would then do another horizontal or even a 45 degree section to get back to the pipe that exits the roof. We know just enough to get us in trouble so we will hire this out to the pros. Just wanted to know if it can be done before we have people come out for a bid. Thanks for any help!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes you can, but it must have an upward pitch to it so any rain water gets in it will drain down to your main drain. You don't want a flat run because it could build up moisture and clog causing your fixtures to gurgle or not flow.

Construct30

Reaction score
Yes you can, but it must have an upward pitch to it so any rain water gets in it will drain down to your main drain. You don't want a flat run because it could build up moisture and clog causing your fixtures to gurgle or not flow.

Actually it all depends on what code you are using. If it is a vent for a fixture then you must have a 45 degree or more slope until you are 6" above the flood rim of the fixture or fixtures being vented, If it is a vent. IRC/IPC

You really need to know if it is a vent or a drain.

You need to find out what code you are using.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks