Eco Drake installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

BDPlikaytis

Reaction score
Hi,
Based on my research and reviews I've seen here, I purchased three Eco Drakes to replace my older 3.5 gallon toilets. While I was skeptical, the salesman talked me into them as a real necessity (I live in the drought- stricken Atlanta area). They work beyond my expectations. Anyway, one of the bathrooms has the scent of sewer gas and I can't figure out where it's coming from. I get down on the floor right up to where the bowl meets the floor and I can't smell anything. I also moved in real close to the junction where the tank meets the bowl and I still can't smell anything. If I can't smell anything coming directly from the toilet does that mean my problem lies somewhere else? Also, when I was bolting the toilet to the floor, I heard a faint cracking noise - it lasted but a brief second. Nothing looks cracked on the outside. Did I screw up the installation and break the bowl causing a potential gas leak? Still, I can't smell anything coming from the toilet.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice and recommendations.

thanks,
Brian

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Hi,
when I was bolting the toilet to the floor, I heard a faint cracking noise
Uh-oh. If you look at the toilet from the side, you can easily see the path from the bowl to the sewer. There's sewer gas contained in the path coming up from the bottom, to the back, over the top, and down to the level of the water in the trap. If there's a crack anywhere in that area, there's the potential for a leak, but I don't know enough about the internals to say how the gas might get to the outside, if there's no sign of a crack on the outside of the bowl.

It might be possible for a crack to allow water to drain out of the bowl, destroying the trap seal, but that should be obvious, both visually and nosily.

I assume you've ruled out the possibility of leakage from another fixture?

BDPlikaytis

Reaction score
To the best of my ability, I've ruled out the other toilets. There is one that is just above it on the second floor, but I would think I'd smell gas in that bathroom if it were leaking.

I'll check the floor below of the toilet giving me trouble and see if I can detect a leak.

It's just funny that I can't smell it coming out of the toilet directly. I was hoping there was a simple answer as I'm not a pro at this.

thanks,
Brian

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
When I said "other fixtures", I meant other fixtures in the same bathroom -- i.e., basin, tub, etc.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would make sure the wax seal is good first.

In the Seattle area, the flange goes on the 3/4" plywood, and then the 5/8" subfloor around the flange.
It takes two wax rings to seal.
If you only have one wax seal, It may be that you need to double up.

BDPlikaytis

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,
I did use a double wax ring. My flange is level with the floor in part part but dips down a bit below the floor surface. I guess this means the flange isn't perfectly level. By the way, if I use too much wax, is there a danger when you push down the toilet that some of the wax would be pressed into the sewer opening?

thanks,
Brian

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can't smell it from the toilet, then I would rule the toilet out.

Smell can come from floors, inside walls, from the ceiling, from lav p-trap, tub p-trap, heating sources.

If you double wax, can it block?
Sure, but not likely if you set the wax on the floor and set the bowl down on it.

BDPlikaytis

Reaction score
Thanks Terry,
I'll do some more investigating. Many thanks for the advice and recommendations that led me to purchase thesed toilets. They are really great.

Brian

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks