Need help installing a drain in my basement

Users who are viewing this thread

billandjen

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my basement and am trying to put a sink in our bar area.
We need to cut the concrete to the existing sewer line that is about ten feet away.I would appreciate any help anyone could offer on how to go about doing this project. Thank You

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are two ways to cut the concrete. The cheap way is to use a rotary hammer which is like a small jack hammer and break it out out. This is a very messy job, you'll have concrete dust all over the basement. The best way of course costs money. You can hire a concrete cutting company to cut a nice, neat trench. The will raise no dust and will haul away the debris.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are two ways to cut the concrete. The cheap way is to use a rotary hammer which is like a small jack hammer and break it out out. This is a very messy job, you'll have concrete dust all over the basement. The best way of course costs money. You can hire a concrete cutting company to cut a nice, neat trench. The will raise no dust and will haul away the debris.

I usually put a diamond blade in the skill saw then wet cut the outline a good ways through the cement and then its hammertime! As in sledge hammer. no dust and fast too. Have you located thr drain you are going to or, are you just digging for it?

Last edited:

billandjen

Reaction score
Need help installinga drain in my basement question #2

I forgot to also ask once I cut out the concrete how do i tap into the existing sewer line.Thanks for the help on the concrete cutting because dust was a big worry of mine.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You would use a wye, a wye and 45, or, a combo.

How are you venting this sink line?

mthurman

Reaction score
Gary's is definitely the easiest and smartest, but I do it the way redwood does and I do it that way often.

The main things I do is

1) buy a new diamond blade to fit your skil saw

2) pop chalk lines using the red irwin chalk (has more staying power than blue) on short runs or a red grease pencil on long wet cuts

3) score the lines first somewhat quickly so you don't lose your mark and then come back for deeper cuts. The deeper the cut, the easier the hammering.

4) I have someone hold a shop vac (with a clean or new filter) when I can't make a mess

If you aren't sure about the venting requirements, you might want to talk to a real plumber someone in your area can recommend. That is pretty basic stuff and you might be getting in over your head.

If your municipality allows for automatic vents and getting your vent up to the attic and out the roof is really difficult, automatic vents are an option.

good luck

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a partner use a spray bottle with water to keep the dust in mud form,,, We're not talking puddle but enough spray so there is no dust.

Last edited:

ragedigital

Reaction score
I have a partner use a spray bottle with water to keep the dust in mud form,,, We're not talking puddle but enough spray so there is no dusk.

+1

I used a regular 7 1/4 circular saw with a wet/dry blade ($35) and cut a trench. My son keep the blade wet and so the dust was minimal.

Crack the concrete with a sledgehammer and it will crumble after a good hit or 2.

I tried using the vacuum method with my contractor wet/dry vac - dust everywhere!

Use the vacuum to suck out the rocks to lay the pipe. Be sure to empty the vacuum before you do this, so you don't mix the rocks with garbage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks