PDA

View Full Version : Tub Spout Seal

drb
03-27-2005, 07:01 AM
I recently installed a new tub/shower surround and faucet where I had to make up a copper spout nipple to make things fit properly. The problem I'm having thought is that I have a small (~ 1/8") gap between the spout and the surround wall. Does anyone know if there are seals that a person can purchase to place between the wall and the spout? I was hoping that I could find something that would look a bit better than just a ring of caulk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Plumber2000
03-27-2005, 12:48 PM
I always use caulk, it looks good to me.

RioHyde
03-27-2005, 08:08 PM
If your copper "nipple" is 1/2" copper and a male adapter, you could unsweat the adapter, cut 1/8" off the copper then resweat a male adapter on. Or you could cut the adapter off and get a slip on spout. However, with only an 1/8" gap, I'd just caulk it and call it a day.

Good luck

drb
03-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and caulked it up and it looks fine. More importantly, my wife is happy with the way it looks. Thanks again!

jimbo
03-28-2005, 06:59 AM
A plumbing store or even the 'depot' has a trim plate about 1/8" thick for use behind a tub spout.

If you caulked it and got a nice neat job, I would not change it at this point.