Replace tub drain/strainer

Users who are viewing this thread

rascal2

Reaction score
I am renovating a bathroom and want to replace the chrome fixtures with brass. I am concerned with how to replace the chrome tub drain/strainer with a brass replacement set. In particular, I want to be sure that removing the tub strainer will not result in the waste pipe slipping away from the tub because I can not get to it from below or the side (no access panel). Can I just screw the chrome one out and screw the brass one in as a replacement? Does the drain pipe have to be supported from below while this is being done?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually, the tub drain can be screwed out, but it depends on a number of factors. In some cases, the old drain is all but welded in place and has to be cut loose. Access to the area beneath the tub would be very helpful in a case like that.

Sometimes, the cross in the strainer breaks out, leaving you with little choice.

Is the tubing brass or plastic? Does it have rubber washers, lead washers, or plastic washers in the slip joints? All these things can be a factor in whether it's an easy job or a nightmare.

I can understand why you'd like brass, but is the brass of high quality? New major brand brass faucets use a titanium technology that is actually tougher than chrome, but the cheap stuff is still likely to deteriorate in a relatively short time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks