backing up the sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

adil.hoxha

Reaction score
Quick history: We built a new home here in southwestern Ontairo (higher up elevation, away from all water sources) last year. Duing the winter months we got a constant flow of water into our sump pit (it went off every 10 minutes or so - I measured it and we were getting about 50+ gallons per hour). I installed a battery back-up as we started the process of finishing the basement. It didn't change through the winter, or the snow melting or early rains in the spring, but later in spring (May/June) it went away; it stopped all summer long (sump pump never went off, even during rainstorms) and my stress was gone too. :)
Until this winter - once the ground froze up in early December the flow of water came back...same as before. I'd love to know what it is (I'm guessing some sort of groundwater source?) but what I really need it to make sure my basement never floods. We just finished off half of it and I'm not planning on clearning up after a flood...ever... ;)

So, the question is: what is my best preventative medicine?
As I said - I already have a decent 1/3 horse submersible pump in place, working fine (every 10 minutes...) and a simple battery backup pump. But when the original pump goes I've got limited time to get a new one in place (the pit fills up in 20 minutes...)

So here are my thoughts - I welcome input:

1) have the next submersible pump all ready to go - I've seen some with "lifetime" warranties - should I go bigger horsepower? What is the most reliable/long-lasting pump out there?

2) If there is room, I could add another pump (probably the pedastal style) in the pit to double up my protection

3) Or...as I looked into before...add a municipal water powered/no electricity pump - but some plumbers discouraged me from doing this originally (wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't cause a flood - said it was discouraged now(?).

4) Would it be overboard/expensive to cut another pit near the first (I have the room) and set it up with another pump - so if #1 floods the water goes into #2 which is set up with either another submersible pump or the municipal water pump?

I'm open to all ideas...what is the best way to deal with this constant flow of water into the home?
[and sorry about the lengthy post...can you tell I'm stressed about it?]

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would put another pump in the same pit, plumbed to the same pipe.

Your choices might be:
1. Add another line-powered pump, hooked up as an alternating duplex system where the pumps alternate automatically, and both come on if one is overwhelmed. The second one also comes on if one fails. You can build your own duplexing control if you like to do those things, or buy one (much more expensive). Alternating the pumps to keep them working is usually better than letting one stand idle for months or years and then counting on it to work when called upon. You can set them up for manual alternating, perhaps weekly or monthly, but then you don't have automatic backup if one fails when it is on-line.

With this version you leave the battery pump in the system for backup during power outage.

NOTE: Rancher on this forum, in a post a few weeks ago, had a batch of alternating relays that he was offering at a good price if you want to make it a DIY project.

2. Connect your battery powered backup system to operate off an AC-to-DC converter (a battery charger will do it) if you have power, or to operate off batteries if there is no power. It will serve as the backup for primary pump failure, and for power failure conditions. That is a bit non-conventional and may be a do-it-yourself project. You can usually add batteries to extend the back-up life during an extended power outage.

Construct30

Reaction score
I like having the backup ready to go and using the battery backup which should be higher then you also need a high water alarm if you don't have one.

adil.hoxha

Reaction score
I do have the water alarm - and the battery back up has an alarm of its own too...I'm just worried we will be out when the first pump dies and no one will hear the alarm until after the battery pump has died.

I'll look more into the duplex/alternating idea - thanks.

Construct30

Reaction score
That is an example I found on the internet, not one I've used. There are many different brands so do some research. They are not cheap, but then neither is a flooded basement. They are just for backup, but no battery.

Last edited:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Wow, never heard of those before, but EXCELLENT idea! No upkeep to worry about, etc.

Check with local code enforcement officials before wasting money on the water driven models...
In a lot of areas they specifically prohibit them...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
See the note which is copied from the site at the link below. The backflow preventer would cost more than the pump and most municipal systems require annual testing for which the charge a substantial fee.

http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/watersumppump.html

NOTE: Some districts may require a reduced pressure principal backflow preventer per ASSE Standard 1013. Check with your local codes.

adil.hoxha

Reaction score
When I did some calling around last year a few of the plumbers I spoke to were hesitant (or wouldn't) install the water-powered pumps. I'm thinking if I have a two-pump system with a battery back-up (or even some sort of generator to run the two pumps in the event of a longer outtage). Any suggestions for a simple generator that would just run two sump pumps?

Question Bob NH
"You can set them up for manual alternating, perhaps weekly or monthly, but then you don't have automatic backup if one fails when it is on-line."

I have both pumps in the pit, with one float higher than the other, both would come on if the water go to high, correct?
And then I could just change the float height every week so one pump is the primary and the other becomes secondary? Someone told me I could be looking at upward of $1000 for the switch and installation, don't have the budget for that and all the other sump stuff I'm doing. (I know...don't have the budget for a flooded basement either...)

I do have the battery back up hooked up to the charger and I test it once a month to make sure it pumps. (Still thinking about the generator to feel safer...)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your existing setup will do a good job as long as they are reliable pumps.

The line-powered pump should be the primary pump and the battery the backup. You can test the backup pump from time to time by unplugging the primary for a couple of cycles and letting the battery unit take over.

If you have one of the "smart chargers" with high enough amperage you can run it off the line or generator and run the battery pump as a backup even if the primary pump fails.

You can run a couple of small pumps with a 3000 Watt generator. The generator could operate both pumps even if the battery has been depleted.

I heat with fuel oil so I got a 5500 Watt Kipor diesel generator. If we have a long outage I don't need to try to get gasoline from a station that has no power itself.

It wouldn't be efficient but you could keep a battery charged off an automobile from time to time. I expect that you would spend less on gasoline, even in Canada, than on a generator.

All of that depends on someone being around to connect the generator before the battery is depleted. With less than 100 gallons per hour you could get two days of pumping with a good deep-cycle battery. If you are going to be away for a long time you could arrange with a neighbor to hook it up.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I personally favor the idea of a standby generator to keep the pump going. Run it on whatever you burn for heating fuel to have a large fresh supply. Its got fringe benefits too! In a power outage in addition to keeping the basement dry it will keep your house warm, lights on, well pump pumping, and the fridge will keep your beer at the proper temperature.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Another thought. You said you were high up. If there is some way to get a pipe from the foundation/sump to daylight, you can eliminate pumps and worrying. If the drain the sump is servicing is a foundation drain that circles the house you should be able to get to it from the outside. If the sump is near the edge you could probably get to it.

Not cheap unless you know a guy with a backhoe, but simple. Screen the pipe to avoid critter blocking. If you do this watch out for freezing outflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks