flooring under vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

muzz

Reaction score
My bathroom project is coming along well, and soon will be getting to the point of deciding what kind of flooring to put in. Wife doesn't want ceramic tile in the whole bath; I plan on tiling the toilet area though. We have thought about the 12" vinyl tile, but worried about all the seams. Is hardwood laminate something that is acceptable in the bath? There are no kids at home anymore, just the two of us, so splashing will be kept to a minimum.

Another question--what is the accepted method of flooring for under the vanity? Put finish floor underneath, or just set cabinet on the subfloor?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think it's practical to put a wood laminate floor in the bathroom. Even without kids, a toilet can overflow or a shower curtain can let water past, both of which can ruin your floor.

As far as tiling under cabinets. If they have been moved, then go ahead and tile under them. If they have not been moved, tile up to them.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would go with seamless flooring. It is not really that difficult to install. If you don't want to do it yourself you can shop around for someone who will do it in an hour for about $150 in a modest size bathroom.

Nate R

Reaction score
I agree with Bob. The individual vinyl tiles NEVER work well in the long run. Time and time again I see them with dirt lines around every seam after some use.

Just get sheet vinyl. Really not difficult to install at all. Also, M*nards sells small (Like 6X9) pieces for applications like this. But not much selection in those chunks.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Bob. The individual vinyl tiles NEVER work well in the long run. Time and time again I see them with dirt lines around every seam after some use.

Just get sheet vinyl. Really not difficult to install at all. Also, M*nards sells small (Like 6X9) pieces for applications like this. But not much selection in those chunks.

There's pros and cons to everything. You get a cut or stain in a tile. You just replace the one tile. You get a cut or stain in the lino or sheet vinyl, you replace the whole thing. A lot of the sheet goods stain extremely easily when they come in contact with water. Some turn black Some turn multi-colored. Once that happens, you need to do a complete tear-out.

Jeff1

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how good the vinyl tiles can look with some caulk in the seams.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sheet

A lot of the sheet goods stain extremely easily when they come in contact with water. Some turn black Some turn multi-colored.

If that were true, they would have EXTREMELY limited applications anywhere in a house.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sheet-vinyl discoloration is very common. However, the quality of the product is of major importance. My experience in the apartment industry is that they tend to buy the cheapest crap, which has jaded my opinion of the stuff.

muzz

Reaction score
Spoke with one of the local lumberyards about laminate flooring in the bathroom, and was told that in order to use it in the bathroom, it would have to be glued on the top side of the tongue on each piece to keep water from penetrating the flooring. I also talked to a friend who installed laminate in his bath, who had done it exactly that way with no problems. He said it was a pain applying the glue and cleaning up the excess with solvent, but that it turned out great; that was 2 years ago. Still trying to make the decision, thanks for all the comments so far.

Mort

Reaction score
Going on five years with wood laminate flooring in the downstairs bathroom. No problems (yet anyway). I was advised against it for the above stated reasons but took the chance anyway. Same flooring is in the kitchen adjoining the bath (and family room) and I figure the worst that can happen (with a water leak or such) is that I'll just have to replace it.

Mort

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the laminates were originally released, they were not approved for damp locations. Some of them now allow it. You need to read their installation and application notes carefully to determine applicability.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Retrain the wife or trade her in. Ceramic tile is the only way to go for a practical bath floor. Toss in a couple of attactive washable area rugs and it looks pretty good and is comfy on the feet. Rugs can also be easily changed out to allow catering to whims of someone prone to redecorating.

muzz

Reaction score
Its been 28 years of retraining, I don't think I am going to get any further than I am now; doing a trade is out of the question, she is the devil I know.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're In Trouble Now

I hope you both have heated garages--just in case your wives happen to view this thread. :D

Chel_in_IL

Reaction score
When I remodeled my bathroom, I went with ceramic. It's a small bath (9x5), and it cost me about $350 material/labor to have a tile floor put in. (I put in the underlayment, and I paid a guy to lay the tile.) For $125 for labor I figured it was worth having someone who knew what they were doing lay the tile.

I also put in an electric floor warming system that I got off of e*ay. It's not the mat-type - you manually lay the lines, but it was very easy to do. It cost $80 shipped for enough wire to do the floor, and included a line-voltage thermostat (electronic programmable is $125 more). Well worth the investment - warm tootsies are awesome!!

Oh, and we tiled under the vanity too.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
warm tootsies are awesome!!
Cool! ... er... Warm! I'm putting a mat-type heater in the shower, but I have to unwind the mat to run the heater wires around the drain, etc. Big problem now is how best to insulate under the heater wires.

I tiled under the vanity also. Didn't tile under the cabinets in the kitchen (moving them was a big deal) and I regret not doing it now.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks