Toilet Identification Help

Users who are viewing this thread

BlueTorrent

Reaction score
Hi, I Just Purchased A Used Vintage Toilet At A Thrift Store. The Toilet Brand Is Richmond. The Brand On The Toilet Is Stamped In Blue Capital Letters Richmond. It Also Has A Sticker On The Tank With A Diamond (I think) With 2 R's. I want to know what year and where it was made. The mouth of the bowl is like a upside down kind. Plz Help Me Identify "Richie"! I think Richmond is a rare brand.

Thanks,
Tina
Proud Owner Of A Richmond

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've sent a few of them on the high arcing trajectory from the back of my van into the dumpster!:confused:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No but I can tell you that in 07 it was smashed in a dimpster,,,

Why don't you post a picture of this future dumpster filler!

BlueTorrent

Reaction score
Now Y Do U Not Like Richmond Toilets? That's A Very Rare Find

Now u hurt Richie's feelings and I paid 5 dollars 4 it

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rr

Richmond Radiator fixtures were popular in the late 50's and early 60's. One unique thing about them was that if you looked at a green fixture you could not be sure whether it was blue or green unless you placed blue one next to it.

Achutch

Reaction score
Look for a date stamp

You might look for a date stamped inside the tank, underneath the lid, or underneath the bowl.

Yes, these were made in the 1940's too. I have used one that was made in 1949. It's bowl trap faced the front and it would swallow all the paper one could give it.

We even have a few of the Richmond bowls here at the "factory". They are in the original building that was built in 1957. They are commercial wall-hung bowls with flushometers.

My friend's house was built in the 1960's and featured Rheem fixtures. I believe that Richmond later became Rheem-Richmond. Both bathrooms were in color: pink in the half bath and lilac purple in the full bath. I had never seen lilac colored fixtures in my life until then.

Have fun with your antique.

And now I have to get back to work, else I'll end up in the toilet!!!!

achutch

BlueTorrent

Reaction score
Thanx I Think It Was Made In 1941, I Bought It For 5 Dollars, And I Hope Dad Can Restore It Back With New Guts And Stuff

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rr

I believe RR fixtures were originally Rheem, but it could be the other way, that Rheem purchased RR. That happened in the 50's and It has been 50 years since I worked with them, or even thought about them.

BlueTorrent

Reaction score
I believe RR fixtures were originally Rheem, but it could be the other way, that Rheem purchased RR. That happened in the 50's and It has been 50 years since I worked with them, or even thought about them.

Did Rheem and RR quit makin toilets?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Rr

They discontinued the line, or sold it, and went back to concentrating on their line of boilers and radiators. The current Richmond water heaters are made by Rheem/Ruud.

BlueTorrent

Reaction score
They discontinued the line, or sold it, and went back to concentrating on their line of boilers and radiators. The current Richmond water heaters are made by Rheem/Ruud.

That Sux. I think even Celite is still running their line.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Blue Torrent,
Last night I went by the shop to drop off a load of old fixtures from a job. Right beside the dumpster is a Richmond toilet! Evidently one of the wimpy plumbers replaced it because it didn't make that high arcing final trip that I send them on! The tank lid is missing though I supect the sink i was throwing may have landed on it. If you want to pay for shipping I'll send it to you... I'm not sure when the trash collector is coming he's got a weird schedule with the holidays! Answer fast enough and its all yours!

BlueTorrent

Reaction score
Blue Torrent,
Last night I went by the shop to drop off a load of old fixtures from a job. Right beside the dumpster is a Richmond toilet! Evidently one of the wimpy plumbers replaced it because it didn't make that high arcing final trip that I send them on! The tank lid is missing though I supect the sink i was throwing may have landed on it. If you want to pay for shipping I'll send it to you... I'm not sure when the trash collector is coming he's got a weird schedule with the holidays! Answer fast enough and its all yours!

I already have one but thanks anyway

bruce wayne

Reaction score
Richmond Toilet

I've read that some of you have the Richmond toilet. We grew up with a one piece Richmond toilet in our house. My parents built our house in 1952 and that is the time they bought the toilet and bathtub along with the sink. The color is peach or.......... something like that anyway. My parents sold their house about 20 years ago. My uncle got rid of his Richmond toilet because it would run. He didn't want to bother with it so he purchased a new toilet. My father happened to be there when he was placing the toilet out in the garage so, my father asked for it because he knew I needed one for my camp. I wasn't thrilled at all about having a used toilet, yada, yada, yada. In the past week I got such an ear beating about using the toilet instead of buying new I finally caved.

I cleaned the toilet inside and out to where, you could eat from it. I wouldn't suggest it but, I'm just painting a picture of the circumstance. Yes, within the trap there was dried up poop that came out during the clean out. I did surface scratch the interior of the bowl and tried every cleaner along with rubbing compound with no luck in removing the scratches. I took some 220 sandpaper with water and got rid of the scratches.
After I truly spent eight (8) hours on cleaning this toilet up I couldn't find Richmond tank fittings and what have you. Also, for some reason my uncle found the need to remove the original tank system or at least I guess he did.
I bought the generic float and an American Standard trap rubber that fit perfectly. My Richmond has the casted overflow tube by the way and it also has three (3) holes at the bottom of the tank that, had rubber plugs. I couldn't find the rubber plugs so, I purchased new rubber corks and they work fine. I am curious why the three (3) holes and if there was some other type of flush valve and float system in there originally.
Today I showed my dad the toilet and that I will be taking it to my camp this weekend for the install. I told him I couldn't find any information on this toilet and here is what he had told me.

Richmond toilets/tubs were originally called Richmond Radiators as someone mentioned on this site. Also, the factory was the next town over from us in Monaca Pa, 15061. He believes they went out of business in 1955.
Here's the rub. Just two months ago one of the original Richmond dealers or plumbing store that used to carry the toilet went out of buisness. Go figure.

There are two other old time places near by that I will check out and one is called National Plumbing supplies in Beaver Falls Pa 15010, ( Joe Namaths hometown ) Kellys Hardware in Beaver Falls and they are in the process of going out of business and last but not least, Craigs hardware in New Brighton Pa 15066.

I hope this information is helpful for anyone that might need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks