1/2 bath sink and toilet question

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMerk

Reaction score
Can I run my supply lines for the sink up through the floor? Its for a corner sink and the 2 walls are only 2" deep. We thought running the hot and cold from the basement up to the sink and adding some custom coverings for the copper may be the way to go.

Also, can I put a T on that line in the basement and use that same run for a toilet supply? Thanks.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Running exposed supply lines up through the floor directly underneath the fixture is traditionally done with clawfoot tubs. You could do it, but the lines would be at risk of physical damage from being exposed at foot level, not to mention that someone accidentally kicking the line has the potential to break weak solder joints down the line from the vibration. Other than that, I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it if you really wanted to; you would just have to be sure to brace it as best as you can below the floor to minimize the possibilities of the two situations which I described.

DanMerk

Reaction score
I was thinking the same. So As a suggestion, I could invest in a floor mount tub supply for both and retro fit the flex lines I would normally use to the sink.

Alternate install would be to run copper up my wall, but again, both walls are 2" deep. Is this not allowed? Otherwise I would do that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm assuming that that wall is not an exterior wall subject to freezing. If so, you could run the pipes up inside the wall. You'd want to install steel nailing plates to protect it where you go through the plate (the stud on the floor) so that you wouldn't nail through it. You could also run it on the outside of the wall and build a chase to hide it, or come up through the floor. You could probably find chromed supply lines. One of the pros may have some better ideas and direction.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
plumbers did this in my house when they replumbed from galvanized to copper.

it is that way in my two bathrooms.. they ran the copper from the basement to the floor...put in the shutoff valve. I attached braided stainless from the shutoff valve to the pedestal sink. The toilets are this way, too...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks