View Full Version : Best shower/tub valve ?

Greg Mueller
12-17-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm plumbing my new house and need a recommendation on the valves for the tub and shower. One that will last forever and be easy to repair should it break.

I know I won't make a mistake and plumb it backwards as I have already made a mistake this year. :)
But should some one sneak in and change the pipes on me, it would be nice if it had a cartridge that is reversible.

I'd prefer the type you pull out and then rotate either left or right for temp.
(rather than the stick shift looking kind)

12-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Pull outs are passe. The old style Moen Chateau may still be available, but is not allowed by code in new construction or remodel situations. Almost all jurisdictions now require an upgrade to an anti-scald type. Most of those are not pull out. Actually, the one exception is stil the Moentrol. It uses the pull-out cartridge, and a separate spool valve. That is the only one I can think of .

12-17-2007, 08:35 AM
If you want a volume control AND a temperature control, then you'll probably have to go with a thermostatically controlled valve. Depending on the trim, some have two knobs, or a knob and a lever, or two levers. All of the pressure balanced valves I've seen have no volume control. They may exist...

12-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Moen Moentrol is a great pressure balance tub/shower valve that is failsafe as far as reversability goes. All you do is rotate the brass stem to reverse. You don't even need to turn the water off to the house. To turn the faucet on you pull out the handle and rotate left or right to adjust temperature. It also has a bunch of trim options available.

12-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I'll say Moentrol also!

12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Moentrol Or Delta.

12-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Delta 1700 series with a separate volume and temperature control is the only way to go.

master plumber mark
12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree with HJ.....

the absolute best is the Delta 1700

the posi temp is junk and the parts are
very expensive and it can be hell ot get that
faucet apart when it breaks down.

Greg Mueller
12-24-2007, 07:40 AM
I wonder if they make an after market knob to replace the plastic ones? I like the pull to turn on valves, but my wife announced that she thinks the plastic knobs are cheesey.

12-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Delta& moen both have a wide varity of styles to choose from.
Check there web site.

12-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Delta and moen are tops, but I like the Delta for being simple and availabilty of parts in my area. Because Moen has the replacement part service no one in my area stocks their parts, a lot like American Standard toilet parts. If you can't find the parts list you can't get the parts.

Check in your area, in more than one supply house and hardware store and get the faucet you can buy parts for servicing. No faucet will last forever and most need servicing every couple of years or less depending on the water in your area.

Keep the literature in ten years you won't have a clue what faucet you have and you will be posting pics here so you can order parts. They will not have parts to service your obsolete faucet and you will have to special order them.