Leaking Garbage Disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYgirl

Reaction score
Hello everyone...Hope someone can help before I declare defeat.
I'm on the last leg of my kitchen remodel and having trouble reinstalling the garbage disposer. It's leaking from the top of the unit around the black rubber mounting gasket so I bought a new one but it's still leaking!!
It's an acrylic sink so I used a silicone instant gasket to attach the stainless steel flange and that appears to be fine. It only leaks when I remove the stopper.
Any help would be appreciated....Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

Disposers are not re-install friendly. Quite often the sealing portion of the disposer is corroded and once it is disturbed the black gasket will not reseal to the disposer body.

kevin23

Reaction score
Possible solution

I sent you a very long email explanation which mainly boils down to making sure you completely tighten the collar on the disposal when reconnecting it to the sink drain and possibly replacing the rubber gasket. If that doesn't fix it, let me know.

DIYgirl

Reaction score
No more leaks! (Disposer reinstall)

My leak turned out to be coming from the sink flange after all. After three tries I ended up using good old plumbers putty! I didn't think I could use it as it states...not to use on plastic and it's an acrylic sink. Anyway, thanks to Kevin23 (who just installed an acrylic sink) and who's instructions said to use putty...It's fixed and the disposer runs better and quieter than it did before! I guess the acrylic absorbs the sound better than stainless steel.

So happy.. and out from under the sink at last!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks