Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

SheilaC

Reaction score
I have a plumber that just installed the rough ins for four body sprays. I wanted to have the valves for the shower, body sprays and rain shower to to the right of the body sprays at the same level. He said he couldn't do that because any elbow in the pipe reduces the pressure and with all the things we have in the shower that is the last thing I want to do. I changed the set-up at his request but am now having doubts as after he finished today there are two holes in the adjoing wall ( which I discovered on my own) and the valves are not even close to being in a straight horizontal line so I am beginning to feel that he is just not as qualified as I would like. My other question is that he is installing a steam shower and wants to either put a hose attachement to it so that we can drain it or put a hole in the wall of the shower ( with some kind of casing) to drain the steam unit. I have never read of doing it either way. Everything I read says to connect to the drain pipe which he says he cannot do. Please help as we are spending a small fortune in the bathroom and I don't want to go any further with this plumber if he is doing things incorrectly.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Can you do pics Ihave done a few in the past more info will be helpfull.
Brand name ect.

Last edited:

SheilaC

Reaction score
photos

Everything is Grohe and 3/4" piping. One thermostat, four body sprays, a shower on a shower bar , four on/off valves and a rain shower. The first photo shows all the installs and the second close up shows how much off center the valves were installed. We wanted to have the pressure valves lined up with the top three body sprays but were told we would lose pressure if we put in elbows.

Last edited:

SheilaC

Reaction score
Photos

:confused:
I have a plumber that just installed the rough ins for four body sprays. I wanted to have the valves for the shower, body sprays and rain shower to to the right of the body sprays at the same level. He said he couldn't do that because any elbow in the pipe reduces the pressure and with all the things we have in the shower that is the last thing I want to do. I changed the set-up at his request but am now having doubts as after he finished today there are two holes in the adjoing wall ( which I discovered on my own) and the valves are not even close to being in a straight horizontal line so I am beginning to feel that he is just not as qualified as I would like. My other question is that he is installing a steam shower and wants to either put a hose attachement to it so that we can drain it or put a hole in the wall of the shower ( with some kind of casing) to drain the steam unit. I have never read of doing it either way. Everything I read says to connect to the drain pipe which he says he cannot do. Please help as we are spending a small fortune in the bathroom and I don't want to go any further with this plumber if he is doing things incorrectly.

Everything is Grohe and 3/4" piping. One thermastat, four body sprays, a shower on a shower bar , four on/off valves and a rain shower. The first photo shows all the installs and the second close up shows how much off center the valves were installed. We wanted to have the pressure valves lined up with the top three boy sprays but were told we would lose pressure from putting in elbows.

Attachments

• Dec04_11.JPG
    Dec04_11.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Dec04_05.JPG
    Dec04_05.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 328

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I can see it is out alingment.Iwill check different computer.Moneter going out.
Works but does not show clear pics.Will try later.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
With all 90s how could say one more would reduce presure.It is volume not
presure that make this for you to enjoy.That being said,Icannot give you a
good answer to your problem.I have looked at your pics on my lap top.
Better pics.Iwill think about this more and if I come up with something,
Iwill post.Also will resreach more.Model #might help.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Did you happen to tell your plumber what location you wanted before he installed what he thought was right?

Did he ask the location before he started?

I ask my customers before I start, I mark on the studs before I start, when the customer approves, then Install.

If the customer is unhappy, then they pay me to move it.

Your request should have been brough up before install, other then crooked and not level:mad: the setup is ok.

You have 3/4 lines piped in, additional 90's to move the valves where you would like them, will not hurt, it is just the additional work that he is unhappy about.

As far as the Mr Steam unit, UPC say's we are unable to install the t&p line into and waste drain and vent, it must be piped outside, is it the condensate drain you are speaking of? it cannot be tied into the plumbing waste and vent, per UPC.

Your code may permit it with the use of a trap.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
How high off the floor are the thermostatic and volume control valves, and how high are the body sprays. Unless the thermostatic valve is really low the everything else is really high. I would have put the thermostativ valves and the volume controls all together. lined up vertically. That would not only look better on the finish but will use a lot less piping. There needs to be good communication as to your preference as it is you that will be living with it. If it isn't practical for you what good is it? I agree that the plumber should have gone over layout with you before he installed it.

SheilaC

Reaction score
Plans were made ahead of time and clearly marked out on the wall, floor and ceiling. It was not my idea to place the valves so high, they were to be inline with the top three body sprays. I wanted all valves above waist level as I have a bad back and when it goes out it is difficult to bend over even slightly. The problem wasn't communication or planning it was a plumber not following what we wanted, changing the plans and then not even doing that correctly.

I had another plumber come over last night and there are more problems that I was not aware of such as bent piping, crooked valve installation, questionalbe joints and rough ins not placed at the correct depth to take into account the cement board and tiles.

Old plumber is now out and new plumber is now in. My question is how do I deal with this? I want to be fair but at the same time I am having to pay a plumber to take out most of his work and re-do it. My thoughts are to pay him for work that does not have to be re-done & materials. Keep in mind I also have to repair a wall that is damaged for no reason other than sloppy workmanship. Help from the pros on what is fair would be appreciated

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks