13 1/2" rough, Toto Carlyle

Users who are viewing this thread

lexilooooo

Reaction score
unifit_1.jpg

I just started a small DIY bath remodel and I was surprised to find that my toilet has a 13 1/2" rough. The two other toilets in the house are exactly the same, but the rough is at 12". It looks like a 12" toilet was install because I have a 2 inch gap between the toilet and the wall, that was hidden by the counter bango.

Now I need to replace the toilet, the bango is no longer going to be on the wall so the 2" gap will be seen. How do I fix this?

-Will the Toto Carlyle with concealed trapway that is field adjustable work? Is the Carlyle as good as the UltraMax.

-Do I need to get a plumber out her and move the rough (bathroom is on second floor).

-Do I learn to live with the 2" gap?

-Expo mentioned they could order something to adjust, but that just scares me. I'm already concerned about going to low flow toilets.

What are my options?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kris :eek: :confused:

Kris,
With the 14" Unifit, you would have 1/4" behind the toilet.
With the 12" that coms with the Carlyle, you would have 2 1/4" of space.
On the Carlyle, the water supply needs to be 7" to the left of center.
If it is closer it will hit the back.
Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
13 1/2" Rough

One option would be to install a 14" toilet, it should fit.
You would need to get the cut sheet for the exact toilet that you're interested in and confirm that it will fit.
Toto's website and most all fixture manufacturers have this info available.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Toto has something called a "unifit" adapter. I am not familiar with how it works, but Terry Love hopefully will weigh in or if ot you could e-mail him. He is the Toto Guru!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really need to get the manufacturer's spec sheet for the specific toilet you want. The Toto (not all of them use this) unifit adapter comes in 10, 12, and 14" versions. Basically, this adapter has the trap (at least it appears to), the toilet mates with the adapter. You mount the adapter over the toilet flange, bolt it to the floor (it takes not only the flange's bolts, but I think 4 more in the floor), then set the toilet on the neck that fits up from the adapter. The toilet has a rubber gasket that seals it to the unifit adapter. Then the toilet is bolted to the adapter. They use different length traps in the adapters to move the body of the toilet away from the wall the desired offset.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I just looked at the Toto spec sheet for the toilet - it appears that there is 3/4" clearance between the back of the toilet and the wall on a standard install. If you went with the 14" Unifit adapter, you'd have 1/4". This would leave no room for the baseboard, and if the wall wasn't plumb, you may have other problems. BUT, it looks like it would work. Double-check your model and how plumb your walls are - you may be able to live with 1/4" verses the design 3/4". This may be better than the 1-3/4" you'd have if you went with the 12" rough unifit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks