Choice of Toilet questions

Users who are viewing this thread

tobysinger

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I am a home owner in the beginning stage of planning to convert a bedroom into a bathroom. Due to the configuration of the room, I have very limited space for where the toilet will go, so I started off looking for a space-saver/compact type of toilet with a high flush performance but not too expensive. Based on what I've seen at Lowe's and Home Depot, the "space-saver" toilets (like American Standard's) don't save all that much space. It seems like going for a round toilet over an elongated one is a better way to save space. To me a round toilet sounds ok - but might I regret getting one? I also want to get an all-in-one toilet rather than buying all the pieces separately, it seems so much easier. At Lowe's I found the "Jacuzzi Perfecta." It was less than 27" from the wall, round bowl, 3" flush valve, decent price. I am inclined to get it, but I haven't been able to find any reviews about it anywhere, good or bad. It did get a good flush rating at cwwa.ca (800 grams). Does anyone on this forum know anything about this toilet? Would you recommend it? Any other advice you can give me about making this choice would be very helpful. Thank you!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you had spent much time here, you know that the Big Box Store toilets are not held in high regard. The brand most of us recommend is the Toto. There are many styles and a wide range of prices although none of them are "cheap". I would suggest you look through Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets linked from the home page of this forum. I think you will see that there is just a little difference in the space used by a round unit and an elongated one. The main benefit of an elongated bowl is it works better for men. If your users are mostly average to above average in height, you would be well advised to go with an ADA unit. I recently replaced a standard height round bowl with an ADA elongated one and it is night and day difference! You should remember that a toilet is usually a purchase that will not only be used several times everyday, but will normally not be replaced for many years. The difference in cost between a builder model at a Big Box store and a quality unit such as a Toto will soon be forgotten, but the problems of a cheap-o will live with you constantly as long as you have it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks