Aquastat setting

Users who are viewing this thread

JJLJr

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1200 sq ft. ranch style house with an old Crane 70 Series oil fired boiler. I'm probably going to replace it down the road. In the meantime, I want to get it running as efficiently as possible. I did have an oil company clean the boiler and the tech said that it was running well for an older boiler.

My question concerns the aquastat setting. The aquastat is a Honeywell 8124. The settings are hi 180, lo 160, and differential 20. The boiler originally had a tankless coil for heating hot water; however, now there is a separately gas fired hot water tank.

The system seems to occasionally (every 15-30 minutes) come on for a minute or two and then shut off. It also seems to take a long time for the system to come to temp. I know the aquastats can vary over time. I can't confirm the hi temp as the boiler temp guage doesn't seem to working.

I have a few questions:
1) Since the boiler no longer is supplying hot water, can the low setting be reduced;
2) Should I raise the hi setting so that the system can run a little higher which should reduce cycling and heat up time.
3) Since the temp guage doesn't seem to be working, should I attempt to take the water temp from the water in the pipes. I know it it gets colder as it goes through the system but at least I can get tell if it is any where near the hi temp.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks