air compressor question

Users who are viewing this thread

ctkulig

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been lurking here for quite a while and have a question and purchasing an air compressor.
I plan on finishing my basement and would like to buy an air compressor for the framing and finish work.

I have found 2 at HD, Porter cable cffn251n and cfnbns.
Could these handle a framing nailer?
Or does anyone have any recommendations on a decent compressor.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
For a framing nailer I would ensure you have at least 4 or 5 cfm @ 90 psi (i think)...
The actual nailer should tell you in the manual what it requires as far as compressor capacity in any case...

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the porter cable you're talking about is the 4 gallon pancake compressor, then yes it will but it will likely be broken after your done. Mine broke. Then I purchased a nicer unit.

The issue is that the smaller compressors will take a long time to recover. That means you'll be listening to the motor run a lot.

Tom

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The compressor can do a lot of other things if you are into DIY. Mine is also used for a blow-gun for cleaning up; keeping tires inflated on two vehicles, trailer, bicycles, and wheelbarrow; impact wrench which is great for pulling wheels if you are doing brake jobs on your vehicles; small sand blaster; and my vehicle jacks are adapted so I can use the impact wrench to operate them.

ctkulig

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone who answered, I went with the Porter Cable, cfnbns from HD. I read alot of posts on a different forum about this same compressor and everyone said it will handle a framing gun, you just can't nail 100 nails per min. And I'm OK with that.

So Thanks Again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks