How to winterize sprinkler pump

Users who are viewing this thread

lsc87

Reaction score
I use a 1hp jet pump in my basement to supply water to a sprinkler system. I live in the northeast, so winter's coming. The sprinkler guy is coming to blow out the lines.

What do I do with the Wayne jet pump over the winter? Right now there's still water in it. I will disconnect the supply line from the lake and blow it out. Do I need to get all the water out of the pump even though it wont' freeze?

Also, will it hurt the pump if I don't use the sprinklers for a week or more in summer? The supply line retains prime, so there is always water sitting in the pump.

thanks
Doug

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
This is the best response I've ever given to this question:

Pay a contractor who deals with these systems specific.

Do it by contract whereby they winterize it, bring the system back up the following season. That way if anything done is improper and breaks something, it's going to be covered by the ones who did the work.

You'd be surprised how cheap those companies will do this for.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rugged is 100% right....

have it done by a professional

they will come out with a huge air comperessor
hitched to the back of their truck...

When they blow air through the system all your sprinkler
heads will jump out of the ground at one time and look like
old faithful going off....

it usually only costs about $100 bucks...around here..

and they warranty the work...

you wont have to make any reapirs this spring

theelviscerator

Reaction score
I made a rig out of a scott air pack bottle with a union to blow down a complex fountain system.

Make sure you have one or two valves open when you start cracking open the bottle.

(not recommended for the faint of heart).

Dry as a bone though after completion...

lsc87

Reaction score
Let me clarify, all the lines underground will be professionally blown out. I'm only asking about the pump. I guess it's pretty obvious I need to get all the water out of it. Next question is, if that's true, does the pump just sit there dry all winter?

And what about going 2-3 weeks between uses (if it's rainy) when the water just sits in the pump? Any issue with that? Does it need to run every few days, or it can sit with water in it?

thanks
Doug

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks