Toto Ultimate vs Ultramax (help me choose)

Users who are viewing this thread

Justthinking

Reaction score
My local plumbing supply company has excellent price on these toto toilets.
(same price as terry's, actually)

Ultramax RF $380
Ultramax EL $400

Ultimate RF $340
Ultimate EL $360

Is it worth the extra $40 to upgrade from power gravity to g-max?
Has anyone here actually compared ultramax and ultimate side by side?
If the choice is between G-Max RF and Power Gravity EL, which one would make more sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For many, the Ultimate (Blue flapper PowerGravity) is fine. The $40 for the Ultramax depends on who is using the fixtures. I find that some customers with young kids, the paper users, tend to opt up to the G-Max.

I sell more of the elongated bowls for many reasons.
It doesn't make any sense for men to use round bowls.
And there's a little more area to catch those misses.

The only reason that "round" bowls are installed with the new home?
They cost the plumber and the builder less.

One of my big sellers is the MS854114SG with the CEFIONTECT
I would say the most deluxe, are the Soiree and the Gunivere

Last edited:

SamC

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the Ultimate and Ultramax are the same pottery with different parts inside. The water level in the Ultramax is higher for a higher head pressure. This makes the water leave the tank more quickly, and for that reason the flapper is designed to close sooner. According to the latest MaP report, those features make a fair amount of difference in the performance. The Ultimate elongated flushes 325 grams, while the Ultramax elongated flushes 700 grams.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't trust the MaP 325 testing on the Ultimate.
I had one in my home for a year without plugging.
I installed a few at my church without plugging.

I've also installed toilets that were MaP rated at 550 grams that plugged fairly consistently.
I remove toilets rated at 275 all the time, Now that makes sense,

But if the testing was done right for all of the models, why do 500 to 600 gram toilets plug more than the one rated at 325?

And how do you drop from 700 to 325 by losing an inch or so from the tank?

I guess what I'm saying is, about eight years ago,
MaP testing one toilet,
one time,
and for their sake, maybe the spreedsheet didn't get messed up and they put the right number down.

All I know, is it performs a lot better for me, my church, and all the other homeowners that use them, than the one tested by MaP.
Can the rest of us all be wrong?

MaP hasn't tested another Toto in six years, and that was with their old testing method.
Their new testing method gives bigger numbers.

Last edited:

Justthinking

Reaction score
Terry,

Thanks for the reply, I just found out that my brother has two ultimate at his new house and he said the exact same thing you did.
They generally work great, the only time he needs the plunger is when kids flushed too much toilet paper.

BTW, how is the new eco-ultramax compare to the original ultramax?
If the new eco-ultramax can flush just as good as the original one, I think I will go with the greener product.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry mentioned the Soiree and Guinivere. I installed the Soiree with CEFIONTECT a month ago and really like it.

Might want to search this site for reviews of the Soiree - it has a new "double cyclone" system which provides better bowl wash than some other models, which was a very important point when I was choosing. The thought of having to use a brush every day did not appeal to me.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Just installed a Ultramax recently and love it. Two kids put it through it's paces and it doesn't phase it and the whole mess is gone in a couple seconds, man that thing is fast :)

Plumbstar

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only difference is the flush valve. The Ultramax overflow is higher. It used to be cheaper to buy a Ultimate & install a Ultramax flush valve. The china & fill valve are the same

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks