central heat/air install--product selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Homey6660

Reaction score
I have an older house (1921 -- approx 1600 sq. ft. of living space) in which I'm having central heat/air installed. I have a good quote from a contractor who had installed a system in my neighbor's house w/o incident. He initially offers to install Goodman condensers/furnaces, etc. I am leaning toward that b/c I am probably selling the house within 3 years or so. However, I'm open to being convinced that there is a significant difference in the functioning and reliability of the goodman versus higher-end models.

Any thoughts?

Sincraft

Reaction score
I've been told my a few contractors that something in the lines of a 80+ efficient furnace and the goodman are a good choice for someone that wants something good and cheap, not major retrofitting of exhaust ducts etc and plan on selling soon.

The next person down the line will be happy with at least 80 and shouldn't decide not to buy because of it whereas a really old system they might move on. However, they will want to hear that magically 90+ in their ears and 'new furnace' before the sign on the dotted line too.

If you were SURE you were moving in 3 years I would do just that. Because the extra cost you will have to pay for something better will never be justified.

However if you were going to do it right, I would say 90+.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Goodman is a decent brand with good warranties. The most important part of the warranty process is the contractor....so make sure he has been around for a while and has good referenced.

Like any consumer product, different brands and models have good/better/best repair records. Is Trane higher up the food chain than Goodman....probably.

You pay a very steep premium for the ultra high efficiency units, which by their nature are more complicated and more difficult to repair. The payback in energy savings is significant, but the payback period is probably longer than 3 years. Your utility company could give you some feedback on that issue./

Given your circumstances, I see nothing wrong with the Goodman system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks