Smells when the heat comes on.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Disgustingsmell

Reaction score
Is there anyway I can get rid of the sewer smell when I turn my heat on without having to pay someone else to do it. There used to be a bathroom in the basement but the city made us take it out. I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. We also have had people out to look at the furnace but they can not find anything wrong. Please someone help me. I am afraid that my kids are going to get sick if they keep breathing this disgusting smell.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Look around for an open drain or line of some kind related to the removed bathroom and either plug its opening or cap it off. Your furnace needs combustion air to pass through its burner and on out the chimney, and it sounds it is presently getting that intake through your drain plumbing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
leej is on the right track, but if the furnace was ingesting combustion air from the sewer, this would not necessarily cause a smell in the house.

But, if this is a forced air furnace, then we have a return air inlet. If a basement bathroom was removed, and the pipes not plugged, especially maybe an open floor flange from a toilet, now we really have a path for the odor!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet drain was not plugged properly, there is no trap to isolate it from the sewer, and no amount of priming will help. It definately could help with any other sewer drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks