Sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing a vanity/sink in my 1/2 bath. I have the old stuff out and am about to use a hole saw to cut holes in the back of the vanity for the water supply lines and the pvc waste line. The waste line has a bend in it that will have to come off. It is full of junk inside, and I want to minimize the size of the hole in the vanity back. My question is: how do I remove the bend? How close to the wall do I cut?

In my first picture below, you can see that there is a PVC fitting sticking out of the wall. Then it looks like a very small piece of pipe, then a "straight" fitting, another short piece of pipe, then the bend. I'm wondering if I should cut at point A or point B? If I cut at point A, will I be able to get all of the pipe out of the fitting coming out of the wall? Note that I'm replacing the supply valves, which gives me a little bit more room to work with the waste line.

Please advise--thanks!

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 352
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

Cut at point "B". If you cut a point "A", there is no guarantee that you will be able to get the rest out of the fitting, and there will not be enough pipe available to make a new connection without doing so.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Agreed. Cut a "B" and cut at the point farthest away from the wall, leaving a stub to connect the new parts to.

This is a situation which probably was cut once before, possiblhy for a cleanout job, then coupled back together. Since the T is apparently right at the wall, if you cut at A you would either have to get a special bit to ream the stub out, or get into the wall to replace the T.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the quick responses, HJ and Jimbo! That is a good idea--I definitely want to play it safe and not risk having to open up the wall.

As for cutting it--I guess a hack saw is the best bet, right? I don't have room to use my cutting tool with the cutting wheel because of the supply lines. Is there any advantage to using the PVC saws that I've seen? They just look like hack saws to me. I've also seen ratcheting cutters, but I'm not sure they are for 1.5" PVC pipes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks