AS Cadet3 flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

rontarbert

Reaction score
Based largely on comments posted on this forum, I installed two Cadet 3"s in April '07. I'm happy with the flush -- old AS toilets unreliable. After a few months I noticed that the toilet refills at night. I tested it for leakage by marking the water line and it was very slowly leaking. After examining the flapper I noticed that it had several little blisters on the rubber seat. I do not use cleaners and the tank is hooked to city potable water. I checked the other toilet and it has the same problem. Home Depot (where I purchased them) does not have replacement flappers for this model. I don't see any other such problem posted. Could I be under a black cloud ?:confused: Does anyone know if Korky makes a replacement?

I think that others are having the same problem but unless you suffer from insomnia (like me) or happen to be seated on the throne when it refills you may not realize that the toilet is refilling. The refill is quiet and short in duration. As a temporary fix, I removed the flappers and burst the blisters with a safety pin. AS is sending new flappers. I would not let this problem stop me from recommending the toilet. AS will stop buying the rubber from China and all will be well.

Update 11/9/07
I rec'd the two replacement flappers from AS today -- there is no indication of any change to the material. My comment about AS using rubber from China was an attempt at humor since there was no indication of origin on the flappers but the boxes that the replacements came in are clearly marked "Made in China". It will take some time to determine if the original flappers were from a bad batch or that I should avoid my potable water.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would think that since these are less than a year old, AS would probably supply new ones. Give them a call and explain your problem.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I've had no success whatsoever switching to any brand other than the exact OEM flappers for Cadet 3's which you will not find on the store shelf.

You will find them if you break open the box the toilet to sell sits in.

That should be a force rule that if you sell product on the shelf as a unit, you better have the repair parts on the shelf to match. No exception.

I'm still waiting on my 100 AS Cadet 3 flappers. I call weekly. :p

Cmas

Reaction score
Website
www.tigermountaingear.com
Is Locke plumbing the only place I can get this new valve? Where are they sourcing these valves and is there anyone local (Seattle area) who might have these in stock......perhaps Love's in Bellevue? I am SOL right now with 2 toilets out of commission. Is there anywhere I can simply walk in and fine the newly designed flusher valve?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you need a conversion for the "Champion" Flushtower that changes it to the new flapper system?

Or a replacement for the "Cadet 3" Flapper?
I would suggest calling American Standard and have them send out the right setup for your toilets.

Cmas

Reaction score
Website
Do you need a conversion for the "Champion" Flushtower that changes it to the new flapper system?
Or a replacement for the "Cadet 3" Flapper?
I would suggest calling American Standard and have them send out the right setup for your toilets.

From what I understand, I don't need a conversion kit. The old style tall, white tower is simply replaced with the wide, black tower style. The only place I have seen them advertised is at Locke Plumbing in TN. This is what they say about it: American Standard New Style Champion Flush Valve 3174002-0070A Replaces 3175002-0070A
From everything I read last night across the Internet regarding AS, getting them to send me the "right" parts for these toilets is about as effective as their valve. AS does not respond very quickly - if ever - and it is a struggle to get them to even acknowledge there is a problem with their flusher valve. Meanwhile, I don't have any working toilets in my house. It turns out Home Depot does not stock ANY valves for ANY of these or any other toilets they sell except for the old style replacement made by Fluid Master. It is incredibly irresponsible.
Is there any place that sells AS parts in town so my wife and child can come home from my parent's house to a house that actually has the luxury of indoor plumbing?:eek:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
OK, you are looking for a Champion replacement.
This is a Cadet 3 thread.

American Standard has a 10 year no worry replacement program.
They also have a class action lawsuit against the Champion Flushing system. American Standard is still the best place for parts though.

It's too bad you didn't go with Toto.
Parts wouldn't have been a problem.

Cmas

Reaction score
Website
Got it.
I just got back from Home Depot where I made such an ass of myself they agreed to simply swap out my tanks for new ones with the new valve and let AS deal with it.
If there is so much as one teeny tiny leak in these or they don't work right it will be worth my time in $ to get the Toto rather than continue battling this.
I have your contact info should this solution not work and you will be the first place I go for the Toto. (I might look up some other items you offer too....)
Thanks for the info - this is an excellent forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks