Two Way Cleanout - Ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

MG

Reaction score
Are two way cleanouts acceptable with the cleanout / side inlet on the horizontal instead of the vertical? I'm replacing a horizontal run and the current cleanout is almost inaccessible; If I can put it in a more accessible spot and use the two way that would work a lot better.

I've attached a rough image of what it would look like; note that all fixtures are on the floor above this horizontal run and would be down the run from the cleanout.

Attachments

• CleanoutIssue.jpg
    CleanoutIssue.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 3,266

MG

Reaction score
Maybe I can angle it up to 45 degrees or so. I don't think I'll be able to have it on the vertical - this horizontal run is just below floor joists.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
We don't have this in context. Is this new work? addition? 18" crawl space
or walk out basement? Warm CLIMATE or cold? warm drain may be buried 18"
cold 60" I would like the 2 way clean out just outside the foundation with a contra costa cap. Back up ,sewerage goes in yard! Put a tag on cap to let drain guys know it's a 2 way! Don't want an auger to blow a toilet apart when they think there headed to the street!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
co

Put a tag on cap to let drain guys know it's a 2 way!

That is why we install two cleanouts to make it 2 way, so there is no doubt about which way it is going.

MG

Reaction score
This is replacing about 7' of rotting CI that is not buried. It will be under floor joists and about 6' up from the garage floor as the sewer main is 4' up from the foundation floor.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
2 way cleanout is a drain cleaner's nightmare.

Unless you can see which side the cable is riding against is the only way you're going to know which way it's going.

People think it's great when you install one of those; have 2-7' of column waste matter in that pipe and you see nothing....just a guess you hope you don't accidentally head towards the house.

MG

Reaction score
Maybe I should have done my diagram better. Other than a bathroom and kitchen sink, all the remaining fixtures (including two toilets) currently connect in and drain downstream of where I would put that fitting. It would be easy to see where the snake is going. I just needed to know if its a legal thing or not. Could I go w/a 4" SanTee there since it would not be a fitting for a fixture? Its mainly the cleanout for the horizontal. That would eliminate guesswork - and if any clogs happen from the two sinks above those would be snaked from upstairs.

The horizontal is a whopping 7' or so...and I bet I spent $100 or more on fittings last night and might need just a few feet of actual 4" pipe. Ouch.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The horizontal is a whopping 7' or so...and I bet I spent $100 or more on fittings last night and might need just a few feet of actual 4" pipe. Ouch.

I do believe the box stores sell 5' sticks of drain line. That could save you from needing to get a full 10'.

I would keep the dandy clean out. It is what you need for the location you have. It will let a drain cleaner snake up and down stream. I find them very handy at times and it is not always practical to install tee wye's. Thats why they make dandies.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
H J

Let Me splain this . Blockage at street. Drain guy runs His cutter down 2 way clean out [full of water at this point]. Thinks It's a single headed to the street.
Auger on His 3/4 h.p. general Max Rooter [ I have one ] ends up in toilet trap
KE-RASH BLAM ,busted Toto. Momma ain't amused. That's Why ,2 WAY TAG is a good idea
DING DING - :D Off to next class

MG

Reaction score
patrick88 said:

I do believe the box stores sell 5' sticks of drain line. That could save you from needing to get a full 10'.

I would keep the dandy clean out. It is what you need for the location you have. It will let a drain cleaner snake up and down stream. I find them very handy at times and it is not always practical to install tee wye's. Thats why they make dandies.

Yep - I can get a 5' section at one of them. I don't need a 10' section!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would like the 2 way clean out just outside the foundation with a contra costa cap. Back up ,sewerage goes in yard! Put a tag on cap to let drain guys know it's a 2 way! Don't want an auger to blow a toilet apart when they think there headed to the street!

Yup that would need a tag or dont use one in this type of set up.

Tee wye's or wye's go in at change of direstions. Dandies are installed in streight runs, or when any other clean out wont work or can't be accessed. I can't count how many times i went to a house and somebody install a clean out next to a joist and it can't be opened with out hacking out the joist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks