Commercial toilet help

Users who are viewing this thread

kathyk

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this website, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

We own a retail sub shop, and it appears as if our original contractors installed residential toilets instead of commercial grade ones. The inner workings of both toilets break two to three times a month. We want to purchase commercial grade toilets, but don't know where to begin. From what I can tell, there are two different types of commercial toilets: the ones that look like "standard" residential toilets and the ones that you see in public restrooms. However, I can't find anything that will tell me if the residential-style toilet would stand up to heavy daily use. I don't want to go to the expense of retrofitting for a public restroom style toilet if the other will work just fine.

If you have any tips for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What breaks? Sometimes the flush handle is plastic, but still should last a long time. From what I've seen (note I'm not a pro) the differences are in the handle and the seat. Both can probably be replaced with the commercial equivalent. WIth the seat, it is often heavier duty and may come with tamper resistant mounting screws. Some commercial toilets also make a provision to lock the tank cover down.

kathyk

Reaction score
The chain between the flush handle and the flapper valve is what usually breaks. Typically, the chain can be reattached and it will work again. The problem is that our employees don't take the initiative to look at it to find out if it can be fixed or to call to see if there is anything that they could do--so they put an "out of order" sign on the restroom(s) and leave it until my husband comes in the next day/Monday. We need something that will stand up to heavy use; maybe it will break at some point--but not any time soon. The seat has never broken.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does it actually break? or does it come apart at a clip? A replacement flapper may be all that is required. Some fishing line, if you can tie a knot that will hold would likely work as well.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Usually with any standard toilet the handle or flapper will break because of the force being used by people, we have that problem with residential use as well.
If you want something that is really commercial you would have to go with a bowl and a flush valve.
If you compare a Toto Drake and a Toto Reliance commerical bowl and manual flush valve it works out to about the same price, but you will need to change the water inlet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

The application determines whether it is residential or commercial. The toilets are the same. usually your problem is caused by poor adjustment, not a toilet fault.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The flapper/chain is either cheap junk that continually breaks or not installed right.

The chain should not keep breaking.

What brand and model is the toilet and how old is it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks