Filter for hot water? (dip tube problem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxx

Reaction score
Just replaced a dip tube in my water heater, but the old crumbling dip tube broke off & fell to the tank bottom.

As a stop-gap measure (a few months or so, until I can replace the water heater) is it possible/prudent to install a filter AFTER the hot water, thus filtering out the large plastic chunks? (a sediment filter)

The particles are clogging up the faucet aerators, and I fear they may damage/clog my shower mixing valves. I think a hi-flow filter tat only catches large particles my work.

Will this work?

Maxx

Reaction score
After checking, it seems there are high temp filters, but pricey (100.00 for the casing, around 30.00 per filter)

So it would be a fairly high priced band-aid.

But would/will it work?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Maxx said:
After checking, it seems there are high temp filters, but pricey (100.00 for the casing, around 30.00 per filter)

So it would be a fairly high priced band-aid.

But would/will it work?
If it is what you think it is. Yes it would work.

Turn the tank off and try to drain and flush it out. I would use a water heater pump that can be used to drain the tank and the turn it around and back flush it with a laundry valve, sillcock, or laundry sink faucet.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
change the heater

you cant get that out...

its nearly imossible to do that in a
efficient manner

its not worth the trouble to fool with...

you might be able to blow out a bunch
through the drain port with the faucet on
and under full pressure...

bite the bullet and put in a new water heater

before that old dip tube bites you back....

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Easier and cheaper - cut a "y strainer" into the hot line just after the heater - it will trap the particles and is made to be cleaned periodically....

Maxx

Reaction score
markts30 said:
Easier and cheaper - cut a "y strainer" into the hot line just after the heater - it will trap the particles and is made to be cleaned periodically....

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I am not familiar with that, could you explain?

Thanks!

Maxx

Reaction score
After a little Googling, is this what a y-strainer is/looks like? ( or is it wye strainer? )

Attachments

• y6_pic.gif
    y6_pic.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
After the big dip tube failures,and a class action suit: Plumbing conts. were
vacuuming out WTS .use a shop vac duct tape and pvc pipe. Myself ,I'd just replace wh

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks