View Full Version : Old shower (30+ years?) valve replacement w/ pictures

03-12-2005, 05:45 AM
I need help identifing a replacement stem assy. See pictures at

pictures (http://home.rochester.rr.com/hosie/shower)

Please help my family is starting to smell.

03-12-2005, 07:45 AM
It is a Price Pfister. I forget the model name. This part is available, but is no so common, because this model was in production for relatively few years.

There are several parts outlets on the internet. Any good local plumbing supplier will have it. In Home Depot, the sku # is 550-070, but not all the stores have it, but they can order it.

Where are you? If you are in San Diego, I can tell you several places that stock this part. Expect to pay between $50 and $60.

03-12-2005, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info. The round wall flange did say Price Fpister. I called PF, early this week, and they sent me the worng parts. They thought it needed 971-150 and 974-491. I just stopped in my local plumber store, and they thought it was an American Standard. I showed then the pictures. They did not have the part.

I live in upstate New York. I will try Home Depot.

03-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I had the Price Pfister guy look at the pictures. He showed them to someone else, who identified the part, 900-022, FlowMatic cartridge. $71.95 with shipping. Thanks.

03-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Check the handle. Often by the time the cartridge gives out the 'pot metal' handle around the stem is badly deteriorated.

03-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for reminding me of the "Flowmatic" name. Good point about the handle; they are pot metal and often a cartridge will outlast a few handles! Well, that used to be true, but PP is having these made in Mexico now, and I have had some dead-out-of-box issues with these. By the way, dropping the new cartridge is also usually fatal, so handle with care!

Danco, for one, makes a replacement handle. I don't even know if PP still offers an OEM handle. Danco actually gets their cartridge from PP. Just comes in a bag, instead of the PP blister pack, but the part is marked PP.

03-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks again for the help. When I was talking to the PP guy, I asked if the croak gasket comes with it, and he said "No, only the cartridge". Which, I should get it by Thursday, CA to NY. PP sent the last parts in a FedEx envelope. When I got it the envelope it had a few holes in it where the stem had poked though and was prety beat up.

I searched the www for the part now that I had its name and number and found it at Ace H/W (http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/) Part number 45493. Ace also sold the handle (4002390). We want the part ASAP so I ordered the cartridge and handle from ACE and paid $25 for the fastest shipping. Total $101.49.

Now, I did not take the cartridge off until the first set of parts arrived from PP. The holes lined up and it looked like everything should fit, so I turned off the water to the whole house and took the shower apart, which is a story in itself. Once off and I saw the inside I knew I was in trouble and that the parts would not fit. The gasket was destroyed when I took the cartridge off. So, now I can not turn the water on. The pipes are in the wall w/o an access panel.

I cleaned off both sides and use some auto silicon gasket maker and put the cartridge back on. It leaks of course. So I cut up a 2 liter bottle to catch the water and make it drip in the shower not between the walls. I also turn the water to the whole hole on only when needed.

Well that is most of my story with the plumping adventure.
Thanks for listening and helping.

03-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I am surprised you got one without the cork gasket. Every one of these I have ever purchased from any source came with a gasket.

The silicone form-a-gasket will be too thick and not able to be evenly tighted up by the small brass screws.

Another source for this part is The Home Depot Supply ( not the Home Depot Store.) They carry the PP OEM part 900-022 for under $50. I assume it comes with a gasket, but call to check. You can see it on their website item number 485750. You can't purchase on the web unless you have an account, but you can purchase by phone at 800-431-3000.

03-13-2005, 06:37 AM
If you buy the unit it comes with a gasket, getting it from PP, the person probably only sent the part you asked for since he knows nothing about gaskets and that the old one is always destroyed in the process of taking it apart.