Help tieing into 4'' drainage line

Users who are viewing this thread

nembery

Reaction score
Well, as a novice DIYer I think I may have officially bitten off more than I can chew. However, I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel. My current problem is this: I was attempted to tie in a shower drain into an existing drain line under a nearby utility sink. I realize this probably isn't ideal, but this is the way is was set up before and worked well. The reason I'm having to redo it, is that my new shower pan is about 3 inches lower than the previous one, so the existing tee is now too high. So, I cut into the drainage pipe leading into the floor to insert a new tee before redoing all the PVC stuff just above it. In order to do that, I had to dig up a bit of concrete around the metal pipe to get low enough to properly attach the fitting. I was planning on using a flexible rubber T for this. However, once the concrete was removed I discovered the existing metal pipe was LOOSE! Digging a bit deaper, to my horror, I discovered the previous homeowner had simply tore up some concrete, dropped a metal 1 1/2 pipe over a hole he cut into the main 4'' drainage line and morted around it. Now I want to do this properly, but I'm at wits end about how to property tie into the cast iron drainage line. I initially thought a saddle T would to the trick, but a newer floor drain installed a few inches away was attached with a flexible T and causing me to now not have enough room to the right of the hole for the saddle. This would have also caused the 1 1/2 new pipe to be offcenter, but I guess that isn't too much of a concern at this point.

A million thanks in advance for any advise on what the correct way to do this would be.

-Nate

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Um ya don't do any of the stuff you are thinking of doing. Those fernco wyes or saddle fittings are not good. You are better off doing things the right way or not at all. Digging up the cast irong pipe and cutting into it and repiping what you need to repipe. Trying to do things the wrong way tends to be harder or more complicated than doing it the right way the first time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Flexible or rubber tees are never allowed. The fact that they just broke a hole in the pipe, (what kind of pipe is it anyway), shows that they were not concerned about doing it correctly. I would say you are out of your league and need a plumber, if for no other reason than to find out what else is wrong, besides installing the proper connections in the main.

nembery

Reaction score
CI pipe

The pipe is cast iron. There is literally just a 1 1/2 hole in the top of it where they just butted up another 1 1/2 metal pipe and mortered around it... What would be the correct fitting? Dig the whole thing up, cut it and use a CI T?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

What would be the correct fitting? Dig the whole thing up, cut it and use a CI T?

Cut it and use the correct fitting, not a tee, and if there is a rubber something nearby replace it also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks