PDA

View Full Version : Basement Toilet installation

Sernion
10-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi All,
I have a 3 in drain in the floor, basement is above the septic tank. I'm getting ready to build a platform to install the toilet unless someone can tell me there's a flange that can go inside a 3 in drain? I haven't been able to find one so far.

Thanks!

Gary Swart
10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
A flange inside of a 3" pipe would restrict the size of the drain too much, and I don't think there is one anyway. A toilet on a platform is the mark of a hack job and I would advise avoiding that. Chip concrete around the pipe to expose enough to accommodate a 3" flange, clean it off so the flange will fit over it. You probably will want to rent a rotary hammer/drill to do this and work carefully so as not to break the pipe. It will take some time and effort, but it will be the best way.

geniescience
10-07-2007, 01:39 PM
3" drain, with or without a P trap? Has this drain already been used as a floor drain?

You have to know whether the pipe is made for a toilet with or a P trap in it.

you are best off chipping out the floor around the pipe.

david

Gary Swart
10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
As I re-read your original post, I understand what Geniescience is concerned with. If the drain you want to use was a floor drain or a shower, then it has a P trap under the concrete and will have to be removed. A toilet has it's own trap built in and you can't have 2 traps.