Very odd toilet identification question

Users who are viewing this thread

John in herndon

Reaction score
I was recently in a museum in Toronto Canada (a mansion, actually) and ran across the toilet shown in the picture. My question is, can anyone ID it? Look at the various odd fittings, what are the functions?

Thanks,
John Freitag

Attachments

• toilet3.jpg
    toilet3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 720

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks like it has a built in-water cooled Beer Can holder.

Well Duh!
That's exactly what that is. There were many water cooled beer can holders on toilets made by Fredrickson.
I'm sure Homer would have have been proud to have a water cooled beer can holder like that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

If Al Bundy could have gotten that one, he might have given up on the Ferguson. In any case, since there is apparently no pipe leaving the bowl to go to a tank, the toilet must have a submerged inlet, and would not pass any plumbing codes, regardless of the secondary function.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like an air vent out of the back of the bowl.
by the way, I have no idea who makes that toilet.
Like hj says, the water supply would never fly nowadays.

John in herndon

Reaction score
Antoher look

Thanks to all who weighed in. Looking at the thing again, (it dates to ca 1903) it looks like the oval in back is indeed an air vent (could be useful for some visitors to my house!). That supply pipe looks pretty hefty, what if that "beer can holder" housed some type of early Flushometer like those used on commercial toilets today?

JF

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks