external drain stoppers for sinks w/o overflows?

Users who are viewing this thread

gbtower

Reaction score
We just got a sink without an overflow for the bathroom. Before I complete the plumbing for the thing, I was wondering if there exists a product where the stopper is actually located external to the basin - somewhere in the drain line before the trap. I think they make a similar product for bathtubs. If so, an "overflow" could also be placed external to the basin. Just wondering, since my googlebilities are not able to locate such a device.

Of course, I'm probably making a big deal over relatively little, but the image of our children flooding the upstairs is making me reconsider the sink.

OOh, like this:
plunge1.jpg

Except there'd be a tee before the plunger (or above the plunger, if the plunger allows flow into the tube above) to act as the overflow. I guess you'd have to be able to bring the branch high enough to give you a usable level in the basin.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I would take it back and find one with a proper overflow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
If you haven't noticed, the newest (past 20 years or better) trends are to have the stopper within the vessel it serves. This serves to keep the vessel more sanitary.

A vessel without an integral overflow is not meant to be used in conjunction with a stopper, at least in bathrooms.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

It could be done, but the operator for the stopper would have to be a tube through the counter top with a lift knob on it. It would be unwieldy, hard to plumb given the normally tight space between the sink and the wall, unsightly because it could not fit where it should go due to the faucet's spout being there, and expensive.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
It could be done, using one of those drain assemblies for tubs - not the one you pictured, but the ones for a tub w/o an overflow (very common in NY) (I couldn't find a pic, quick schematic included)

Not sure how you'd trim it out, though.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,154

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
good to know about. Seems a bit less complicated than putting in a floor drain.

In this thread, i'd say either live with a sink that has no overflow, or get one that has an overflow.

Kitchen sinks have no overflow.

David

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Putting a stopping mechanism on a horizontal drain's not a good idea.
Stops on trip wastes & lavs are done at a drop or above a tailpiece for good reason, even they get backed with hair, soap scum & debris.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks