Box for Lantern style lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

sandyman720

Reaction score
What is the best type of box to use for installing outdoor lantern style lights? How do you secure this box?

My siding block does not have an integrated box in it.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
sandyman720 said:
What is the best type of box to use for installing outdoor lantern style lights? How do you secure this box?

My siding block does not have an integrated box in it.

Go to your local electrical supply house and tell them what you have and what you need. There are several different ways to handle your problem and they will be glad to help you choose which method will suit your needs best.
Be sure to take your check book along with you.

sandyman720

Reaction score
Well what do you all normally do? Do you normally install a plastic box in the wall? How do you brace?

JWelectric

Reaction score
sandyman720 said:
Well what do you all normally do? Do you normally install a plastic box in the wall? How do you brace?

As I have already said, I go to the electrical supply house and get the box that I need for the job I am doing.

They make a box that is the trim itself. It can either be used on new or old work.

What you can do at the supply house that you can't do here is get what you need for the job you are doing.

8100LP.gif

Last edited:

sandyman720

Reaction score
I can get a jumbo mounting block that is the same color as my siding (Green) but it does not come with an integrated box like the one you show. But I just way to know what kind of box to put behind the siding. By code there has to be a box.

JWelectric

Reaction score
sandyman720 said:
I can get a jumbo mounting block that is the same color as my siding (Green) but it does not come with an integrated box like the one you show. But I just way to know what kind of box to put behind the siding. By code there has to be a box.

One more time. Go to the electrical supply house with your problem and they can help.

What we don't know is how the installation is being made nor what it is being made on.

Scenario one
There is a wood finish that has been covered by siding

Two
There is brick behind the siding

Three
There is nothing behind the siding but there is no stud where the fixture is going

Four
There is nothing behind the siding and there is a stud where the light is going

Five
Any of the above four scenarios above but the siding is a board and batten

And this can go on all day long.

To get a box as pictured above all these problems are solved and the installation is easy.
To try and install a box behind the junk the siding people furnishes and the installation can end up costing a lot more than the price of a vinyl box and the labor to install it.

One last time go to the electrical supply house and have them help you with this problem.

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
The other thing with the siding block what Jwelectric provide the photo to you that the siding junction box that itself it is paintable to match to the colour to your exsting siding colour.

Merci, Marc

a side note some junction box just cant take big lumniaire at all some are restricted to 6 or 10 lbs but if you mounted properly it will hold more weight just follow the instructions ditto with the lumniaire's instruction as well

electrical

Reaction score
Wholesale Electrical Supply

Electrical Industries is a wholesale electrical supply company with a comprehensive list of electrical supplies for every need including, residential, and commercial. Browse our online electrical supply store.
http://www.electricalindustries.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks