PDA

View Full Version : Do all metal boxes need screw-in clamps?

Verdeboy
09-20-2007, 12:25 AM
I spent about $8.00 on a metal ceiling fan box, but it didn't come with any screw-in clamps. Does that mean it is not required, or do I have to supply my own? The Romex cable is stapled up to a few inches of the opening in the box.

Is a screw-in clamp required whenever a cable enters or leaves any kind of metal box--be it for a light switch, outlet, light fixture, or junction box?

Speedy Petey
09-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Is a screw-in clamp required whenever a cable enters or leaves any kind of metal box--be it for a light switch, outlet, light fixture, or junction box?
SOME sort of clamp IS required. Whether it be integral to the box or separate.

With a metal box something needs to secure and protect it.

frenchie
09-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Far as I know... yes.

At less than a dollar apiece, why's it matter?

Must be even less, where you are, since you got the fan box for 8 - fan box costs almost 20 up here.

edit: dang, I just answered an electrical question from Eric, didn't I?

:)

Verdeboy
09-20-2007, 07:53 PM
edit: dang, I just answered an electrical question from Eric, didn't I?:)
See, that wasn't so bad. :)

More to come. I like doing electrical stuff. It's nice, clean work (unlike other trades I can think of) and you get to use your brain a lot.

snafflekid
09-20-2007, 11:35 PM
did you buy a handybox or something similar that has knockouts for those threaded nipples?

ked
09-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Most jurisdictions allow the use of plastic grommets, bushings, if you staple within 8 inches of the box.