How should I lay this stack out?

Users who are viewing this thread

nh3

Reaction score
Doing a kithcen and bath remodel and have removed all the cast but have left the 4" cast vent line up to the roof, it's in the bathroom wall directly above the 4" pvc shown. This is a small 2 story with all plumbing on the first floor. The vents for the lav, kitchen sink and shower are already roughed in the walls. Down here in the basement I have run most of the hot and cold type L copper but have yet to tie in. Still using the old hanging stuff for the next couple of days. Anyway I need some advise as to what fittings I should use on the 4" stack. It's a tight space of about 4.5' In this space I need to tie in the toilet which will be about 12" to the right, 2" line from the lav and tub which will run above that sink on the right, 2" from kitchen sink to the left and would like to plumb in the washer and pump outlet from the basement sink. The legnth of 4" pvc is not glued and just their for the washer. Need to do this asap cuz bathing it up in the motorhome is getting old and it's getting cold!

Attachments

• dwv 001.jpg
    dwv 001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 256
  • dwv 002.jpg
    dwv 002.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 240
  • dwv 003.jpg
    dwv 003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 251

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would connect the toilet with a 4"X4" tee wye. then install a 4"X2" double wye for the Sinks and tub.

If your installing the laundry tray then make sure you vent it. I would use a 4"X2" wye off the stack install a 2"X1.5" wye with eighth bend for the 1.5" vent. Then a 2" "P" trap I would say you have enough room for all that and they do make street fittings for tight spaces.

nh3

Reaction score
Where on the stack should I tie the 4x4 tee wye in? It was originaly up at the top and sinks and shower tieing in below, but was under the impression that was not code. It would sure look better up top rather than at the bottom with another 4" dropping down from the closet flange and running paralell with the stack into the tee wye at the bottom.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would check your local code to make sure. If you tell us were your from I'm sure somebody from your state will be along.

nh3

Reaction score
Not asking how to re do it just for a lay out suggestion. I'm more than capable of soldering, welding, glueing and threading pipe. I work in the ammonia refrigeration trade. Just want to lay this out right the first time and close up my walls and finish this project.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
layout

If we were there, and doing the work, we would lay it out according to the physical conditions. But since everyone could have a different "best" layout, and I get a headache trying to keep track of where the fixtures will go compared to where the drain is, there is no way to TELL you how to lay it out.

nh3

Reaction score
Well should I have the 4x4 tee wye downstream of the sinks & bath, towards the bottom of the stack, and tie my sinks in above this. Also is it ok to use tee wye's on a vertical drain line? Was told you could only use them on the horizontal lines.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
nh3 said:
Well should I have the 4x4 tee wye downstream of the sinks & bath, towards the bottom of the stack, and tie my sinks in above this. Also is it ok to use tee wye's on a vertical drain line? Was told you could only use them on the horizontal lines.

the person that gave you this info is full of (Beep). They are messing with you.

I told you how and I'm right. You can't put a tee wye on it's back on the horizontal.
I will say go knock on your neighbors door and ask if you can check his plumbing if you don't believe me.

nh3

Reaction score
Never said I didn't believe you bro. Was at Webb today picking up supplies for work and while there priced out a pump for the cellar sink and got to talking with the counter guy, yes I know the counter guy, but anyway that's where I heard that from. I apprecitate your help and info and will follow your advise but still unclear as where to legally place the 4x4.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Webb air
I prefer Ferguson, they're the biggest in the country, better prices.
They also bought out Daddario.
I know guys all over the state from Portland, Snow & Jones, Thompson Durkee, Granite, Murray, Republic and PV Sullivan down in Quincy.
I am getting ready to replace my 3 ton AC comp....off to pick one up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks