PDA

View Full Version : Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush Toilet Review & pictures

Bobbyboy
09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
As of February 20th 2009, the Water Ridge Dual Flush from Costco is no longer on their web site.
If you bought one, it's now an orphan.

Costco is introducing a new Dual Flush Toilet that is rated as 1.6gpf and 1.1gpf respectively and it has a “Fluidmaster” 2” valve system. The name of the unit is “Waterridge” Item No. 386082 and it is made in China, seemingly for Costco. Waterridge appears to be the manufacturer. September 14 2007

I cannot find any information on the Web (including TerryLove) regarding this toilet or its manufacturer. Is this a quality toilet? Would I be flushing my money down the toilet if I purchased, actually two. My local water authority has no information about this product. I would appreciate any information or opinion you might have.
Thanks.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/wr_dual_flush.jpg

Terry
09-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I threw away a Costco faucet that was in my kitchen, too many complaints from everyone that used it.
I hated it too.

My son installed a Costco disposer (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?23136-Costco-Titan-Premium-Food-Waste-Disposer-review-and-comments) for a customer that was pretty cheaply made. I won't install those anymore. I say that because the last one I worked on had such a small inlet for the dishwasher that the air gap would leak over the kitchen counter. I would say that the drain hole was a little too small.

I looked at the WaterRidge when I was doing my regular shopping.
It looks like the standard builder grade stuff that I normally replace.
You won't see me selling something like that. One of the things I look at is the trapway. The WaterRidge has some pretty tight bends. The trapway may work for a while for "some" people. But eventually those bends will collect things. And those "things" tend to hang up paper.
There are no hardware stores that carry parts. If you need parts, keep the 1-800 number and the original paperwork. You will need to get parts from whoever supplied the container shipment. There is no manufacture called WaterRidge. That's a name that Costco slaps on generic product that the buyer picks up. Keep the paper work. If you wind up with an orphan, at least you weren't out much. As a installing contractor, that type of thing would drive me nuts; not having parts handy. I am afterall, a guy that loves fixing things. You need parts to do that.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/costco_waterridge_one_piece.jpg
I'm not liking this trapway. If you don't need much, then maybe. It's looking pretty small to me though.

Gary Swart
09-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Big Box stores just don't stock/sell quality plumbing fixtures. The aim at the mass market who is just looking for cheap merchandise. Toilets are an excellent example of this. The toilets they sell are cheap for a reason. They are poorly designed and made with limited quality controls. You would be better off to pay more to get more from a quality plumbing shop.

patrick88
09-14-2007, 01:44 PM
If a customer tells me they want to get stuff from the box stores i tell the to goto a supply house that has a show room. If they have this crazy need to shop at a box store i tell them not to get the cheapest look at the middle prices or better.

micp879
09-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I dont know a whole lot about Waterridge, but I have heard they are made by Danze, specifically for Costco. I did read a comment by someone who said that they had a Waterridge product, and what they liked about it was that the products had a lifetime warranty and that the customer service department was very responsive to any problems. Personally, I dont have any Waterridge products, so I cant speak from experience.

Terry
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
It can have a good warranty, for product defect, but constant plugging wouln't be considered a defect.
It wouldn' t be consider defective unless you have something like a crack in the porcelain.

It is what it is.
If you buy cheap, and it performs like what you paid, then keep the plunger handy. Plungers are cheap too.

Updated 8/21/08
Phone call from someone with a Costco dual flush, he says that he is returning it to Costco.
He's looking for something that works better.

patrick88
09-14-2007, 02:47 PM
I do believe that most faucets come with a limited life time warranty. Thats not the bad thing but is it worth wasting time fixing something that breaks often, or waiting for a part to come in because you wanted to get a cheaper product.
What is your time worth fixing it when you have a problem.
Somebody posted something about a toilet company that said you can only flush single ply toilet paper. To test it you had to take a piece place it in a cup of water and shake for 10 sec's and make sure it broke down properly.

That is not for me.

jumpyg
02-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi, I recently saw a "Water Ridge" dual flush toilet from Costco selling for $200. Everything comes in one box, including wax ring and seat. Does anybody know who manufactures this toilet? Is it any good? Seems like a great price for a dual-flush, but I'm not going to buy if it doesn't flush well.

Redwood
02-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I have not seen anything yet from Costco that was a good plumbing fixture!
Every Faucet or, Sink from them I have seen was junk. Why would their Toilets be different?

Gary Swart
02-02-2008, 06:25 PM
For that price, you should buy two. One to use, one waiting to be unclogged. Sorry, that probably wasn't too kind, but my friend, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you can get a break on the price of quality, but there's a limit. Hey, Costco is great...for somethings. Other Big Box stores are great...for somethings. But sometimes you just have to pay the price for quality. A toilet with chronic clogging problems would be no bargain even if free. Pay a tad more, get a Toto and it will probably outlive you and likely never need a plunge unless a child drops a toy into it. Things like that, even Totos sometimes can't handle.;)

Terry
02-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Costco obviously doesn't manufacture anything.

That's right. The Waterridge is made in China.

I had a Costco faucet that came with the home I bought.
It was horrible. It's gone now.
I haven't seen any good plumbing products at Costco.
Of course, I'm a plumber, so I expect more.
But even the non plumbers in my household hated the Costco faucet.

hj
02-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Have you ever noticed that the only things Costco ever has for any length of time are their own Kirkland brands. ANYTHING else you buy from them could be extinct by next week when their current stock is sold, and then where will you be for service on your toilet, assuming they even know where it came from in the first place.

Cass
02-03-2008, 06:54 AM
It may flush ok but it may not...you can take a shot at it maybe working well enough to not want to remove it after installing it because it doesn't flush well enough for you, or after placing it on the wax ring only to find it needs to be returned because of a mold casting problem, or a few other things.

Quality control,as well as engineering, is going down the "toilet" these days due to out sourcing and it is the customer who pays the price because of their trust in a large company who's name once stood for something.

Yvon
02-04-2008, 07:03 AM
For your information, I have bought the WaterRidge toilet several months ago from Costco. I have installed it myself (I'm not a plumber) and since then it works perfectly. I am using it every day but this is not the only toilet I have at home and this is not the one we use most.

I have another dual flush installed at my cottage that cost me twice the price and this one generates some minor problems on occasion. This one seems to have a problem when you use the 3 liter flush for I would say a significant "load" but if you use the 6 liter flush, everything works perfectly.

The difference between the 2 toilets is the flush itself. I will try to explain the best I can. With the more expensive toilet, the flush is similar to any other toilet except that the quantity of water varies depending on the fact that you use the 3 liter button or the 6 liter button.

The WaterRidge flush is somehow unusual to a point that I thought that there was something wrong with it. So I have checked everything even though the installation papers say that everything is preset and there is no need for adjustments. I gave it a try for several days before deciding whether I should return it or not but I have realized that was the way this unit works and it works perfectly to a point that I am planning to buy another unit in the near future.

Hope my experience will help you make your mind. Maybe I am lucky but one way or another, I believe that I have made a very good deal.

Have a nice day

moeronn
02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I bought two of a different model Water Ridge toilet from Costco - that was $100 for everything included in the box. After installing the first one, the second one is going back to Costco. Of course, I didn't expect the greatest toilet in the world for $100 and part of the frustration I had may not even be the toilets fault, but I won't be installing the second one. Actually, the toilet flushes fairly well. While I don't think it is a true dual flush, the tank holds more water than comes out in standard flush. Holding the handle releases more water, clearing everything I've given it so far.

Still, the bolts it came with were not brass and broke on me. The seat is crap, the tank does not sit well on the bowl (I think this has been discussed in other threads with other toilets) and the quality control is definitely lacking. Making things tougher, the flange is high after replacing time and I haven't found the rubber shims suggested in another thread. Since we're only planning on being in this place another year or so, I won't be removing this one, but wouldn't buy one again for my use. Maybe for a rental property.

jonjonbear
08-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello,
I too just bought one and tried it. I thought for the price, and Costo's return policy, why not. I just installed a Toto Aquia III in my master bath last week so had a high quality dual flush pot to compare to.

The costco unit was every bit as nicely fired and finished as the Toto. I stuck my fingers in the outlet and it appears to be fully glazed. As mentioned, it has everything in the box, including a new faucet and SS braided hose, brass floor bolts and neat chrome caps. The flush tower looks almost the same as the one in the Toto, slightly different but of the same quality and it has a fluidmaster fill valve. Hooked it up and turned on the water and it filled quickly and I was amazed how large the water spot was. Given the Toto has almost none, this one is huge. I first tried the half flush and it quietly and quickly flushed as it should. Later got to try the full flush and it worked perfect on the first try. Not to say this pot is better than or as good as the Toto but I can buy two for what the Toto cost and I had two more pots to change. Only thing it is low, like a regular toilet not high like the Toto which is ADA height. Oh and the included seat is only "so-so". It works okay, but isn't very sturdy. It sells for $169.99 in Austin TX, which is amazing for what you get. Plus I like the sorta "period style" it has..I am going to call them and order an extra flush tower just to have a spare (same with the Toto as nobody carries parts for these like HD or lowes). This pot uses a siphon jet flush with a pretty good wash down. I did turn the flush valve 180 degrees and turned the chrome button around so the buttons are the same config as the Toto. The costco unit has the full flush on the left but the valve will go in either way if that matters. The button looks the same as the ones on the Toto otherwise.

Just my 2 cents, and I am a homeowner, not a plumber..Still glad I put the Toto in the master as the "king's throne" but the costco unit will make dandy guest bathroom upgrades..
John

GaryGary
09-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi,
I've had one of these for about a year now -- in fact the picture in the first post is of my toilet!

Works very well -- no problems. Ours cost $200, but I noticed last time I went to Costco the price was $169 -- we may get another one or two for the other bathrooms.

We find that the low setting of the 2 flush settings works fine for all situation -- we never use the high flush at all. It flushes better on the 1.1 gallon flush than our old toilet did on the 1.6 gallon flush.

It was easy even for a non-pro like me to install.

Full story here: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Water/OurDualFlus.htm

My only concern is getting replacement parts as WaterRidge does not seem to have any web presence?

Gary

As of February 2009, the WaterRidge dual flush (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15411)is no longer listed on the Costco web site.

arlavadenz
02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
I bought two of them they are good, only problem is seat very flimsy, called the CO 866-789-2273, told problem they are sending me new seats...have to wait and see if problem is solved, other than that all is good, arl.

Raidawg
02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I didn't know anyone carried these til I saw them at Costco. Got two. One has been trouble free. On the other when you use the large flush, the stopper valve doesn't seal half the time. So I go back and jiggle it and it drops down. These are not visible since they are inside this plastic column. Can't see what's sticking. I tried a little silicon spray without luck.
Any ideas

Terry
02-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I would contact Costco for the new part.
I've never heard of dual flush flush valves sticking with other brands,
And you can't just swap from some other manufacturer.

If they are selling it, they should have parts too.

I've sold over 200 of the Toto Aquia dual flush (http://terrylove.biz/toilets/14-toto-aquia-dual-flush-toilet-cst416m.html), and they don't have that issue.
The Aquia has been pretty much bullet proof.

I just checked the Costco web site
They no longer carry the WaterRidge dual flush, so I hope you kept your paper work.

I see a pressure assist dual flush on their web site now, that must use the Ecoflush (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30226) from WDI Technology. I've been selling Gerber with those dual flush tanks, half of those have been coming back with lever problems. They quit being dual flush and only one side of the flush works. I don't have a fix for those yet.

http://www.terrylove.com/wc/gerber/wdi_ecoflush_1.jpg

dmcg2440
03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I Purchased two of these and installed them myself. it was very easy everything was furnished. They flush extreamly well reguardless what flush cycle you use. They are very quite. One nice feather they have ,that you may not know, is the anti slam seats, very nice. I would recomend them to all.

Weber2
03-07-2009, 07:41 PM
At this point I would NOT recommend these toilets. We (two families) bought eight, four per house; mine have been in for less than a year and two of them are already leaking. Second home only completed a couple of months ago. Can't really return to Costco as we took them to new homes in Mexico; where we really need to conserve water.

If anyone can help with this; as you look in the tank it iappears to be the rubben seal at the bottom.

Help........

Hi, I recently saw a "Water Ridge" dual flush toilet from Costco selling for $200. Everything comes in one box, including wax ring and seat. Does anybody know who manufactures this toilet? Is it any good? Seems like a great price for a dual-flush, but I'm not going to buy if it doesn't flush well.

Oldcrow1
05-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I wish that I had done a search on this brand before I installed one but I did not know that there was so much new technology in toilets.

The one piece toilet Water ridge pictured in this thread is very stylish but looks aren't everything. Performance matters!

I'm not a plumber but have installed a few toilets in my day and while this one comes with all the parts, the first problem was the flat head on the mounting bolts that were provided. The bolts must be made out of some cheaper metal because without undue pressure one of the heads broke free. You can imagine the first words out of my mouth.

Undaunted I continued with the installation, turned the water supply on and the tank went into a deep sweat and remained wet & lightly dripping for the three days that I had it installed. This is unacceptable in Ottawa where summer humidity levels a quite high. My mistake for not checking if the toilet had a lined tank.

The final straw was the flushing action in either mode, solid or liquids. I don't know what the solid removal rate is but I found it very weak and I was already replacing an older model high efficiency toilet with weak performance. IT'S NOT A HIGH EFFICIENCY TOILET IF YOU HAVE TO CONTINUALLY FLUSH TWICE!! Note there always seemed to be a bit of residue at the very bottom of the bowl. I checked all the recommended adjustments for low flow and there was no way to improve performance.

Okay now I'm tweaked!! :mad: I decided to finally do some research online. Water Ridge is not included in my municipal toilet replacement rebate program because the solids removal rate has not been tested and probably falls below the minimum 500 gram rate.

After much research, I finally decided on the American Standard FlowWise Dual Flush (w/tank liner) from Home Depot with a solids removal rate tested at 800 grams. http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/productDetail.aspx?id=2037 The toilet was on sale and the bonus is the city will give me a $75 rebate!

I had no questions asked when I returned the Water Ridge to Costco but I wish that I didn't go through the hassle in the first place! All I can say is BUYER BEWARE!

Check out the rated solids removal rate and if its not listed anywhere, just walk away.:cool:

jwlemke
05-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I didn't know anyone carried these til I saw them at Costco. Got two. One has been trouble free. On the other when you use the large flush, the stopper valve doesn't seal half the time. So I go back and jiggle it and it drops down. These are not visible since they are inside this plastic column. Can't see what's sticking. I tried a little silicon spray without luck.
Any ideas

I've had one of these toilets (3L / 6L) for at least 6 months and it has worked very well. Good flushing action. It very rarely needs more than one flush.

In the past couple of weeks I've had a similar problem. For full-flush only, the stopper valve doesn't always fall down to close the tank exit and it runs and runs...

Fiddling with the mechanism, I came up with this fix. Try it out.
Shut off the water. Flush. Remove the stopper-valve tower - an eighth-turn CCW as I recall. On one side of the tower there is a vertical yellow bar with a turquoise inverted cup attached. There are notches on the yellow bar so that the cup can be adjusted up or down. Move the cup up two notches. Re-install the tower, turn the water on and try it out.

The cup traps air as the tank fills and then lifts up. This holds the stopper up. As the water level drops, the cup drops and the stopper can close. This adjustment appears to have fixed the problem for me.

There is also a red sliding door on the tower. Does anyone know what that adjustment is for? I set mine to the middle position.

Cheers,
Jim.

jwlemke
06-19-2009, 06:20 AM
After some more experimenting, it seems the final answer is:
-turquoise inverted cup - move it down it's ratcheting bar to make the 3L flush stronger
-red sliding door - move it down to make the 6L flush stronger

Jim.

jma9075
07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
We bought three of these toilets in April 2008 in Vancouver, BC as were were renovating three bathrooms in our house. Two have been installed. And we have been using them for at least a year now. These are the problems we have encountered. I hate these toilets and we are taking the third one back and buying a Toto.

1. The flush button on one keeps sticking down causing the water to run.
2. The seal went on the one toilet after about 8 months had to be replaced.
3. I find the bowl very shallow... man pee sprays everywhere. Not my idea of easy clean up.
4. It usually takes 2 flushes to clear solids. Sometimes three.
5. The seat is difficult to clean around and has already shifted it sits crooked on the toilet bowl.

I wish we could take the other two back too but I doubt even Costco would take those back.

These toilets were both installed by a licensed plumber.

Dray
10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I purchased a Water Ridge dual flush toilet from Costco in January 2009. It is a single piece toilet that is well constructed with a very nice finish. I had four toilets in the house, three American Standard and one Kohler. They were installed in the 70s and are about five gallon flush toilets. At an age where a prostate condition causes frequent urination, I decided to look for some new toilets or install some urinals. I saw the Water Ridge dual flush at Costco and decided to try one. I own apartment building and have done building and remodeling of apartments and houses. I have personally installed many toilets over the years and the Water Ridge is one of the best toilet that I have ever installed. A single piece toilet is a real plus. The kit was very complete and the hardware is of good quality. I was concerned about replacement parts, but found that the water control valve is a Fluid Master available at most hardware and building supply stores. I checked with Water Ridge and found that the flush valves are warranted for ten years and are available. The toilet I installed in January worked so well that I installed a second one in August. It is in a bath that has a bidet. I looked for a bidet that is similar and found that the Toto Carrollton is a very close match. I purchased one and am in the process of installing it. The slow fall seat that comes with it is another plus even though it is a bit flimsier than the Westport slow fall seat that I have on another toilet. The bottom line is that the dual flush Water Ridge toilet WORKS WELL, IS OF HIGH QUALITY, AND IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Terry
10-18-2009, 09:57 AM
The Water Ridege dual flush single piece has tight bends at the trapway.
This type of trapway tends to collect things that fall in over time, reducing the ability of the flush.

I get my share of calls from people that own them, either looking for parts, or complaining about the flush.

leisure suit larry
10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I purchased two of these toilets for 200 each. My city Albuquerque,nm gave me 150 towards each toilet, so I got them for pretty cheap. They are one piece so less chance of any leaks. Duel flush to save water. They occasionally clogg but no more than any other low flow I have used. When I take a dump I flush then do the paperwork then flush again. Most of my work is #1 so I am saving a lot of water.... One toilet is flawless, the other my wife uses most sticks on a lot and you have to hit the buttons a couple of time to unstick it or it will run for ever. I think with her long nails she is not giving the button a positive push. She of course doesn't think that. I am looking for where to purchase another duel valve for here toilet. That is how I came upon this website. I am happy with my purchase and costco will take it back for ever for any reason so you can't really go wrong.

larry

ChuckS
10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I've sold over 200 of the Toto Aquia dual flush (http://terrylove.biz/toilets/14-toto-aquia-dual-flush-toilet-cst416m.html), and they don't have that issue.
http://www.terrylove.com/wc/toto/aquia_angle.jpg
Toto Aquia dual flush toilet

Wow, $319 for a toilet. Now that is a throne. When you guys were saying buy expensive, I was thinking of the one I saw for $108 at Home Depot. It was more than the $69 model.

Cass
10-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Many of The lower priced toilets are hand assist type toilets...

Terry
10-22-2009, 08:51 AM
They occasionally clogg but no more than any other low flow I have used.

When I take a dump I flush then do the paperwork then flush again.

The other my wife uses most sticks on a lot and you have to hit the buttons a couple of time to unstick it or it will run for ever.
Leisure Suit Larry

So you are saying that the Costco dual flush needs to be flushed twice, or it will plug.
That makes it a pre 90's 3.2 gallon toilet that plugs.
That's a common problem that others have reported also.

And the cartridge will stick and run forever.
That's a common problem that others have reported also.

Scottola
11-03-2009, 08:05 AM
My wife and I put a waterridge toilet in our bathroom, flushes great and is really quiet.
My question is this: if I use the smaller right hand portion of the flush button to flush it pushes both plungers, if I use the larger button on the left the right hand one does not go down.
The larger left button is for larger deposits?
The smaller button is for the yellow stuff?
I'm wondering if the flush button is backward.

Good toilet though

guozh
01-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I moved into this house with Water Ridge toilets. They worked great for a few months now. What is the correct way to activate the high or low flush mode? Thank you. --Charlie

dripdripdrip
02-18-2010, 05:23 AM
WEIRD - THIS POST USED TO BE IN A THREAD CALLED "Mysterious dripping sound after flush and tank refill". Not sure how it got here but it's not about the Costco Wateridge one-piece toilet.

Hi all,

I recently replaced one of our toilets with a low-flow. The bathroom is located above a storeroom from which I can see the drain/cutout and the supply line coming down through the plywood subfloor. After flushing I can hear a dripping/small but somewhat steady stream of water onto the subfloor for about 10 secs while/after the tank is refilling. There is no leak from the toilet drain/flange (we had one initially due to a super skinny wax seal that didn't mate well and water actually leaked through the cutout into the storeroom below but that was addressed) as I was able to confirm when I shutoff the valve and had my wife pour several pitchers of water into the bowl while I observed from below (no dripping sound).

The subfloor does not appear to be wet and no water is dripping through. Again this sound only occurs if I flush and the tank is refilled via the water supply line. Logically, that line is always under pressure, so it should leak all the time if it were the source, should it not? I can't say if this was the case before replacing the toilet but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Before cutting a hole in the wall to take a peek, any advice/insight?

Thanks for any help.

Costco Waterridge dual flush

chrisexv6
02-18-2010, 06:31 AM
What kind of toilet is the new one?

I know some people say a Toto with Unifit makes a dripping noise while its refilling/shortly after. Oddly enough I cant hear any such drip on my new Soiree.

Peanut9199
02-18-2010, 06:40 AM
I have three Soiree's and two made that noise when i first got them and i don't hear it anymore, i think also it may have to do with the toilet being properly levelled.
My master made that noise for two minutes after flushing and i shimmed it and it seem to go away, but i do still hear it when you add waste to it, but i'm not really conscious of it anymore. It's like a ticking clock when you first get it, it sounds so loud but over time you don't hear it anymore.

dripdripdrip
02-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Again: WEIRD - THIS POST USED TO BE IN A THREAD CALLED "Mysterious dripping sound after flush and tank refill". Not sure how it got here but it's not about the Costco Wateridge one-piece toilet.

Unfortunately, it's not a Toto with the unifit (prices up here in Canada are just highway robbery for Totos - $500+), just a regular made in china type flange that expects a wax ring. The dripping sound resembles the trail end of what you would hear when you shutoff the shower and the remaining water in the pipe runs out of the main faucet into the tub or the water that streams out of a downspout 2-3 min after a rainshower ends. I'm a bit worried that I'll end up getting a damaged subfloor or worse (like it develops into a major leak).
The only other thing I didn't mention is that I think this started happening after I installed the toilet and turned on the water supply for the first time again before quickly realizing that I hadn't reconnected the supply line to the tank (nice water fountain effect) - what that would have to do with this I have no clue other than allowing water to flow through that line at a faster rate than usual for those 5 secs of mayhem. :confused:

jadnashua
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Most (if not all) toilets overfill the bowl somewhat. The bowl can only store so much water before it overflows and goes down the drain. I think what you are hearing is normal and resulting from the bowl reaching its normal, full state as any water sent to it from the overflow tube finds its way into the bowl. If it went on for much longer, it might be something else. Not all fill valves shut off like a switch, either, so it could be very slowly still running longer than you think. As long as it doesn't overflow the tank, no problem. The easiest way to check for a flapper leaking is to shut the supply off and then see if the tank level drops. that can cause that sound, but it normally wouldn't stop, and the tank would refill periodically, so that is another telltale sign.

dripdripdrip
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
And again: WEIRD - THIS POST USED TO BE IN A THREAD CALLED "Mysterious dripping sound after flush and tank refill". Not sure how it got here but it's not about the Costco Wateridge one-piece toilet.

jadnashua, I believe you've hit the nail on the head! I re-tried the pitcher test but this time I added it less forcefully in attempt to recreate the overfilling scenario and sure enough then I heard the trickling sound again. The only thing is that it really does sound like water streaming down rather than flowing along the pipe to the first bend so I'm still considering unbolting it all just to verify that the water isn't leaking out anywhere (I "buttered" the flange with wax this time first so perhaps if it is leaking maybe that's why it's not coming down the pipe into the storeroom like the first time) but of course that will mean having to redo the wax ring again. I'll let you know what I decide in the next couple of days.
thanks for the feedback!

dripdripdrip
02-21-2010, 12:30 PM
And yet again: WEIRD - THIS POST USED TO BE IN A THREAD CALLED "Mysterious dripping sound after flush and tank refill". Not sure how it got here but it's not about the Costco Wateridge one-piece toilet.

So I decided to pull it up one more time and sure enough there were no leaks around the flange/wax seal so I just cleaned up the wax pieces and re-installed the new one. Still some dripping sounds but now they're different than before (quieter and not the steady streaming sound but it goes on for longer than before) so looks like everything's A-OK, although the toilet's flush leaves a lot to be desired (it seems that the default settings are too weak, so I adjusted the flusher to give a more forceful flush however the water doesn't seem to be directed properly so I readjusted the amount of water in the tank by adding a filled handsoap bottle of water to displace the amount of water). This seems to correct things somewhat by having less water forced out.

dripdripdrip
03-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Just replaced an upstairs toilet with one of these babies (after not being too impressed with another manufacturer's toilet I installed downstairs) and it works awesomely! Buttons seem to work properly for me (smaller sized wavy button is on the right and larger one is on the left - lifted the tank cover and verified that on the flush tower inside the tank the one on the right has a 1/2 moon symbol and the one on the left has the full moon). No problems flushing at all and I gave it a good workout!

(One thing to note, this one-piece does not have a lined tank but I guess that could be addressed if condensation ends up being an issue with a DIY styrofoam kit similar to the MOEN one I saw the other day at Home Depot)

bpetey
03-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Did you not read all of the post before yours? All known information has been posted. It's not much though.

dripdripdrip
03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread, but the actual manufacturer of this Costco WaterRidge one-piece (model C22055C) is a Chinese co. called Milim G&G Ceramics (got that info from my local municipal toilet rebate list).

hj
03-18-2010, 07:09 AM
This one seems to have a problem when you use the 3 liter flush for I would say a significant "load" but if you use the 6 liter flush, everything works perfectly.In the first place, the 3 liter flush is NOT for "significant loads", so if it plugs up then, it is a "user error", not the toilet's problem. If the 3 liter flush was for EVERY purpose, why would they bother having a 6 liter option.

mannekin2001
04-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Same problems as everyone else, but the biggest one issue is
1. the sticking of the flusher buttons. If I don't catch it they can run for hours. My partner doesn't hear the water going and going and going and going for ever! It happens frequently and I really have to hammer on them to get them unstuck.
2. The bowl isn't deep enough and indeed when standing up to urinate it will splash EVERYWHERE! I'm not one to sit for number 1.....
3. The shallow bowl also leaves skids with number 2, very embarrassing for company.
4. And there really is no clear visual difference between the liquid and solid buttons.
5. Now I'm starting to get clogs...... I think it's gonna go back as soon as I find a better one.

dripdripdrip
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Just to confirm,

This is the 1-piece water ridge and not the 2-piece tank and bowl set, right?
I actually found that the bowl appears to have some sort of coating on top of the glaze (or glazed really well) and that 'streaking' isn't really an issue.

Haven't had any of the other issues yet (and hoping that I don't)!

Follow-up comment: Is it possible that your flush mechanism isn't adjusted correctly since you're saying that there doesn't appear to be enough water in the bowl in your case? I'll try to take a look tonight at ours and see how high the floats are set (perhaps I'll snap a pic). Also, is it the outer shiny 'lid' buttons that are sticking or the actual internal flush tower buttons that are sticking?

Same problems as everyone else, but the biggest one issue is
1. the sticking of the flusher buttons. If I don't catch it they can run for hours. My partner doesn't hear the water going and going and going and going for ever! It happens frequently and I really have to hammer on them to get them unstuck.
2. The bowl isn't deep enough and indeed when standing up to urinate it will splash EVERYWHERE! I'm not one to sit for number 1.....
3. The shallow bowl also leaves skids with number 2, very embarrassing for company.
4. And there really is no clear visual difference between the liquid and solid buttons.
5. Now I'm starting to get clogs...... I think it's gonna go back as soon as I find a better one.

qvminich
05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I bought this toilet in 2007 and this past week it has started to fail. Toilet constantly running even after numerous water level adjustments. Couldn't find any info on the internet about replacement parts. Luckily I found my manual with an 800 number to call. I was happy to find out that it had a 5 year warranty so I called them up and ordered the part and it should be here in 4 days. That was easy. Will it last another 20? Who knows. I had been shopping for another toilet before I found my manual and my plumber recommended the cadet 3 American Standard. It was $200 here in Calgary, Alberta. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my Water Ridge will last forever after this part gets changed.

QV

Xtrck
08-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I bought this toilet in 2007 and this past week it has started to fail. Toilet constantly running even after numerous water level adjustments. Couldn't find any info on the internet about replacement parts. Luckily I found my manual with an 800 number to call. I was happy to find out that it had a 5 year warranty so I called them up and ordered the part and it should be here in 4 days. That was easy. Will it last another 20? Who knows. I had been shopping for another toilet before I found my manual and my plumber recommended the cadet 3 American Standard. It was $200 here in Calgary, Alberta. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my Water Ridge will last forever after this part gets changed.

QV

Anyone happen to have the contact number for them? I have a couple of these that are running non stop now too.

me
08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I've had one of these Costco Water Ridge dual flush toilets for about 3 years, about 6 months after I installed it, I had problems with the sticking of the full flush button causing it to run. I tried adjusting all adjustable items on the flusher assembly and even replacing the assembly with a new one (taking advantage of Costco's return policy), none of these worked. For 2 years I ended up pushing the button a second time when the bowl flushed, this worked but my company could never follow instructions. I was about ready to replace the toilet but thought I should look at the flusher assembly a bit closer. The sticking button problem is because they have a poor design (bad angles) with the linkages inside the assembly for the full flush and they didn't lubricate them properly. I removed the flush assembly and let it dry out completely (2-3 hours), then I sprayed a water repellant lubricant inside through the holes onto the linkages and onto the flapper on the bottom (for good measure). The toilet button doen't stick open or run anymore (2 weeks so far, cross my fingers for months). I used Jig-A-Loo (orange can) but any equivalent like a silicone or lithium based spray should work. Hope this helps.

dripdripdrip
08-18-2010, 05:25 AM
The number on the Canadian boxes/manuals is 1-866-789-CARE (2273) - not sure if it's different for folks in the US or not.

Anyone happen to have the contact number for them? I have a couple of these that are running non stop now too.

Reader Review
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi. We purchased 2 Water Ridge toilets from Costco in La Quinta Ca. and need a repair manual. We are having problems with one, other one is fine. We have replace parts that we could, but the toilet keeps make the "flushing" sound every 20 seconds and doesn't flush properly when button is pushed.
HELP!
Thanks much
Shirley and Dan

dripdripdrip
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Sounds similar to a problem my Dad had on his American Standard. Basically the flap in the tank wasn't closing/sealing tight because a piece of the rubber gasket from one of the tank screws had managed to work it's way between the flap and opening allowing water to slowly drain into the tank thereby causing the tank to partially refill (that flushing sound you're hearing).

The mechanism is different on the WaterRidge one-piece but the principle is the same in that it sounds like you're not getting a good seal at the opening from the tank to the pipe that leads to the bowl compartment. check to see if you need a new seal or if the drop-valve mechanism isn't lining up properly to seal that hole.

(To confirm that this is what's happening, a common suggestion is to add a few drops of food colouring to the tank and then wait your 20sec. and see if the colour makes it's way into the bowl water before the flush sound).

Hi. We purchased 2 Water Ridge toilets from Costco in La Quinta Ca. and need a repair manual. We are having problems with one, other one is fine. We have replace parts that we could, but the toilet keeps make the "flushing" sound every 20 seconds and doesn't flush properly when button is pushed.
HELP!
Thanks much
Shirley and Dan

Redwood
10-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Toilets typically are installed in a home and used for 15-20 years...
Why would you want to buy something you can't get parts for?

dripdripdrip
10-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Why does the phone number listed higher up on the page not work? The innards of most of these drop-valve assemblies look pretty common from manufacturer to manufacturer (even the American Standard we have looks the same when I opened it up compared to the WaterRidge so I'm not sure what you're talking about) - the innards are pretty much all made in China/Taiwan.

Toilets typically are installed in a home and used for 15-20 years...
Why would you want to buy something you can't get parts for?

Redwood
10-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Why does the phone number listed higher up on the page not work? The innards of most of these drop-valve assemblies look pretty common from manufacturer to manufacturer (even the American Standard we have looks the same when I opened it up compared to the WaterRidge so I'm not sure what you're talking about) - the innards are pretty much all made in China/Taiwan.

Will it work 10 years from now? good luck on that one...
The trouble with "Universal Fits All" parts is they are seldom bolt in parts. They tend to require some adaptation to work even though they look close. Things like "if only it was 3/4" higher" "if only the push button was 1/2" shorter" those will cost you extra when making repairs often many times what you saved by buying a junk toilet...

A toilet like a Toto not only will have parts available 10 years from now, but will also have non-oem parts available, and they will be at a local supplier not at a phone number with a part number that can only be found in the original manual that came with the toilet....

I'm a plumber and my time is money. Make the job harder and it costs you more. It's that simple!

dripdripdrip
10-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Umm no offence but that's why if I have such issues after 10 years of the toilet working, I'll just buy a new toilet (with updated styling) if things get that complicated rather than paying a plumber 2 hrs labour @ $80/hr to try and fix something that's "overly" complicated.

Toto is the best we get it, they never have issues, ever. Holy Smokes, you should just rename this site if every forum is going to end with buy a toto buy a toto buy a toto - not everyone can buy a Mercedes which is why you see Hondas, Fords, Volkswagens on the road.

Try to be helpful to folks asking for assistance instead of being a smug smarta$$ plumber.

Will it work 10 years from now? good luck on that one...
The trouble with "Universal Fits All" parts is they are seldom bolt in parts. They tend to require some adaptation to work even though they look close. Things like "if only it was 3/4" higher" "if only the push button was 1/2" shorter" those will cost you extra when making repairs often many times what you saved by buying a junk toilet...

A toilet like a Toto not only will have parts available 10 years from now, but will also have non-oem parts available, and they will be at a local supplier not at a phone number with a part number that can only be found in the original manual that came with the toilet....

I'm a plumber and my time is money. Make the job harder and it costs you more. It's that simple!

Redwood
10-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Umm no offence but that's why if I have such issues after 10 years of the toilet working, I'll just buy a new toilet (with updated styling) if things get that complicated rather than paying a plumber 2 hrs labour @ $80/hr to try and fix something that's "overly" complicated.

Toto is the best we get it, they never have issues, ever. Holy Smokes, you should just rename this site if every forum is going to end with buy a toto buy a toto buy a toto - not everyone can buy a Mercedes which is why you see Hondas, Fords, Volkswagens on the road.

Try to be helpful to folks asking for assistance instead of being a smug smarta$$ plumber.

Go For It!

But you are buying a 1986 Yugo....:rolleyes:

Terry
10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I think one of the questions was,

Where do you get replacement parts?

Where can I call for questions and tech support?

Dripdripdrip has the right answer to this. These should be considered "one use" toilets. When something goes bad, they can go in the trash, and a new toilet can be installed.
Drippy, any toilet can be installed in a home. I personally sell pretty much all of the brands out there. For some brands, I sell very few. It's hard to get someone to commit to buying a second if they didn't like the first one. If someone doesn't like reserching their buying decisions, then skip all this web stuff and pick up something at Costco or a big box store. If things don't work out, you can always trash can the product and try again. That makes perfect sense to many people and I have to agree, it's logical.

Lucky for me, most of my customers are doing repeat buys on product with few problems.
I did sell the "Consumer Reports Best Buy" dual flush Gerber for six months, but then 40% of them came back and nobody knew how to fix them. I quit selling the EcoFlush dual flush wonder that Consumer Reports tauts as their "Best Buy". It turned out to be junk. But like Drippy says, it's not a big deal to chuck a $349.00 toilet in the trash and start over.
The WaterRidge dual flush, did we ever get around to finding a way to get parts for them?
Or is it the consensus of this review that they should be thown away when the seal or flapper goes bad?
After all, they were sold to people that "wanted" to conserve water. If the seal leaks day and night they should be junked.
Drips, since you have these toilets, maybe you can research the parts problem.

dripdripdrip
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm no "expert" but at least I can offer suggestions as to how to diagnose what's may be the problem/what's happening. If the best you can offer is "Buy a Toto", I think you shouldn't bother putting down "Expert Plumber" but rather "America's Top Toto Salesperson who has expert knowledge in plumbing but won't offer any technical advice".
Sorry but you guys just sound really condescending and can't even help Dan and Shirley to try and diagnose what's going on (like the $1.00 food dye experiment or how a simple $3 can of lubricant was enough to solve the issue of sticky mechanisms).

I agree that Toto makes some great products but the point of the other poster's question was to try and pinpoint what would cause this problem.

I haven't seen a reply from them as to whether the 1-800 number works for them so not sure what else you expect me to offer? If I have a problem with an Apple/HP/Dell/B&D/Sony/RCA/<insert brand here> and I need assistance/replacement parts, I usually start there to see if they can assist.

For the record, I haven't had any issues with the one-piece toilets I purchased (doesn't mean I will or won't have any issues though but the 2 I have appear to function well).

I think one of the questions was,

Dripdripdrip has the right answer to this. These should be considered "one use" toilets. When something goes bad, they can go in the trash, and a new toilet can be installed.
Drippy, any toilet can be installed in a home. I personally sell pretty much all of the brands out there. For some brands, I sell very few. It's hard to get someone to commit to buying a second if they didn't like the first one. If someone doesn't like reserching their buying decisions, then skip all this web stuff and pick up something at Costco or a big box store. If things don't work out, you can always trash can the product and try again. That makes perfect sense to many people and I have to agree, it's logical.

Lucky for me, most of my customers are doing repeat buys on product with few problems.
I did sell the "Consumer Reports Best Buy" dual flush Gerber for six months, but then 40% of them came back and nobody knew how to fix them. I quit selling the EcoFlush dual flush wonder that Consumer Reports tauts as their "Best Buy". It turned out to be junk. But like Drippy says, it's not a big deal to chuck a $349.00 toilet in the trash and start over.
The WaterRidge dual flush, did we ever get around to finding a way to get parts for them?
Or is it the consensus of this review that they should be thown away when the seal or flapper goes bad?
After all, they were sold to people that "wanted" to conserve water. If the seal leaks day and night they should be junked.
Drips, since you have these toilets, maybe you can research the parts problem.

Terry
10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Drips,
Until Costco starts providing tech support for the product, or carries parts on the shelf, don't expect the expert plumbers to waste a lot of time worrying about a disposable product.
An expert knows when to cut their loses. Time is money, and there is no reason that we should stay awake nights trouble shooting an orphan product without parts and tech support.
Do you offer tech support for your competitors? Do you run a forum and a question and answer for products you don't sell and can't get parts for?
Do you consider yourself and expert at what you do for a living?

dripdripdrip
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry you feel that way but then as I said, you really should relabel these forums as "TOTO Forum discussions" if you're only willing to discuss ONE particular brand otherwise you are being disingenuous (I thought Truth in Advertising was a big thing down in the US). You are the one that is purportedly offering assistance to folks who have questions about their toilet issues.

Where I work, we don't offer a Forum where we discuss competitor's products or their deficiencies but if we did, we wouldn't be doing so just to crap on their products - but maybe that's a Canadian thing?

jadnashua
10-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Drip, Terry sells and supports a bunch of toilet brands. He also has real-world feedback on numerous models from all-over. Based on feedback and experience, of the brands he sells, he has the lowest trouble with Toto, either as defective out of the box or on other factors. Something sold without local parts support is problematic, and costly to repair because of the time. The product might work great out of the box, but when it breaks, then you have your problems. How would you feel if your car manufacturer required you to call a central location to get a repair part, and your car was sidelined until it showed up. Own a Deloran, Yugo, Fiat, or Alpha and want to get it fixed today? Good luck. With some brands, you can pick up parts easily, cheaply, and readily. Not true with others. Kohler might make a decent toilet, but try to get parts...on some of their older ones, according to people that have posted here, they told them sorry, can't get the parts, buy a new toilet. Lots of people have tried to buy an American Standard toilet at a big box store, and found them defective. Then, the parts, while they may come free, had to be sent, and then still failed rapidly.

So, you pay your money, take your chances. If you misplace the manual that came with the toilet, good luck, as Costco doesn't carry parts, and the manufacturer might be a contract job, and the brand a front name, not a corporation name - might get one batch from company x, the next from company y because the price was better, but the parts are slightly different.

A toilet is a once in a long time purchase...best not to go entry level, and amortizing it over the life, the difference is slight, especially if you can repair it rather than replace it.

Terry
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Big Drip,
Maybe you can put together a Costco WaterRidge Forum Here.
Oh wait, there is already a disscussion of the WaterRidge toilet here.

If you know where parts can be found for this orphan, then please inform us.

I do sell brands that are sold through plumbing supply stores.
American Standard
Caroma
Crane
Duravit
Eljer
Gerber
Kohler
Mansfield
Sterling
Western

But I'm not Costco. If Costco wants to sell plumbing, then Costco should provide parts.
Is that too much to ask, or is that just an American thing, wanting tech support and parts?

In the real world, a plumber needs to deal with a company that has a web site, tech support with a real person anwering the phone, and gettable parts.

Why are you mad at the facts?
The facts are, that Costco isn't supporting the products you bought.
You should be angry at them, they are the importer, not me. I'm not selling orphans, Costco is.
I'm amazed that nobody even cares that the Costco toilet is disposable. When I sell products, you can get replacement parts. Plumbers can't service a product if Costco isn't supporting the product.

If you have a Costco WaterRidge toilet, please call Costco for parts and tech support.

I don't have a manual, or parts for them.
I have never bought or installed one.

dripdripdrip
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
jadnashua,

I agree with the statement that Totos are great but like I said this toilet forum was supposed to be a way for folks to figure a helpful tool for readers to try and assist them with issues they might have with their current toilets (regardless of brand or so I thought) and I have had the opportunity to benefit from this forum. The experts here have definitely seen similar issues and probably already know what might have been the cause but refused to help those individuals simply because they didn't buy a Toto/Kohler whatever (heck if I was able to rattle off that suggestion for trying to diagnose what the poster described based on a suggestion I once read and am not a plumber, then it's definitely a common trick/technique and not something you'd lose sleep over trying to suggest).

Obviously, some folks are not fans of the WaterRidge products and that's their perogative and right to have that opinion (some have had problems, others none whatsoever) but that's the situation they're in and parts can be obtained for them through some method (phone - maybe delivery is overnight since it's pretty cheap within the US, but might be a week for folks up here in Canada?). Personally, I've heard terrible things about their faucets and choose not to buy them.

Anyone else could have just said, "Perhaps you have a leaky seal/valve/mechanism between the tank and bowl and should try ordering a spare part from the manufacturer but if you're unable to get that part then you're probably out of luck and should replace the toilet with something that has readily available parts." But that wasn't/isn't the case so why not say that as Moderator/Expert Plumber you're not willing to offer advice on toilet brands that you don't buy/resell instead of acting like the @$%# (self-censored since I'm not a @$%#) Terry just showed himself to be in the previous post by posting my personal email address?

All this does is give a bad reputation for oneself whereas assisting someone with what they already have can pay back dividends later (say the poster was a customer in your neighbourhood, you could advise them to try and get that replacement part and then offer to install it for them at your labour rate and if that doesn't work then you can always suggest the Toto solution and explain why)!

Drip, Terry sells and supports a bunch of toilet brands. He also has real-world feedback on numerous models from all-over. Based on feedback and experience, of the brands he sells, he has the lowest trouble with Toto, either as defective out of the box or on other factors. Something sold without local parts support is problematic, and costly to repair because of the time. The product might work great out of the box, but when it breaks, then you have your problems. How would you feel if your car manufacturer required you to call a central location to get a repair part, and your car was sidelined until it showed up. Own a Deloran, Yugo, Fiat, or Alpha and want to get it fixed today? Good luck. With some brands, you can pick up parts easily, cheaply, and readily. Not true with others. Kohler might make a decent toilet, but try to get parts...on some of their older ones, according to people that have posted here, they told them sorry, can't get the parts, buy a new toilet. Lots of people have tried to buy an American Standard toilet at a big box store, and found them defective. Then, the parts, while they may come free, had to be sent, and then still failed rapidly.

So, you pay your money, take your chances. If you misplace the manual that came with the toilet, good luck, as Costco doesn't carry parts, and the manufacturer might be a contract job, and the brand a front name, not a corporation name - might get one batch from company x, the next from company y because the price was better, but the parts are slightly different.

A toilet is a once in a long time purchase...best not to go entry level, and amortizing it over the life, the difference is slight, especially if you can repair it rather than replace it.

Redwood
10-13-2010, 01:41 PM

You have substantially underestimated what I charge for labor to either repair or install a toilet....
Hence the advice to spend your money wisely...

Terry
10-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Drips,
I would think you would want your email posted because you have the time, and the inclination for working on the WaterRidge toilet and you are very helpful.

I will freely admit, that you are the expert on them.

I have never had a call to work on one, and I have never seen one, except while shopping at Costco.
The first thing I notice is the poorly designed trapway. I do have one customer that bought both the Toto Drake and the Costco dual flush.
He wound up having trouble with the Costco dual flush, but he returned it to Costco.
Isn't that what Costco is for? They will take back anything. Maybe that's why the plumbers haven't been "asked" to work on them yet.
Redwood, Have you "ever" worked on one?

If your Costco WaterRidge quits working, return it.
Save your receipt and bring it to the return counter when you are done with it.

Redwood
10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Redwood, Have you "ever" worked on one?

No, I replace them.

dripdripdrip
10-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the compliment but like I said I'm no expert and only offered suggestions that I've seen offered by others before (suggestions which may lead to the poster identifying the part that needs to be ordered or to realize that he/she may indeed be fighting a losing battle which may result in them returning/junking that toilet) so I'm formally requesting that you edit the post to remove the email address. (<-Much appreciated)

And your explanation of one of the advantages of the Toto over the WaterRidge is an excellent example of one of the reasons why it might end up being better in the long run to choose the Toto if they have to replace the toilet (who wants to pay for a damaged ceiling from a backed up toilet?).

cabazon
11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
I Have read all the threads on many toilet forums. I decided to install the Costco WR single dual despite all the bashing by the so called expert Plumbers. So far I can safely say I have flushed down all the bad S*** quietly and quickly down this wonderful toilet. Totally impressive. I checked out Costco's proven return policy and the easily reached 1-866- 789-2273. ( Number printed on the box was wrong (886)) Provide all free parts and replacement for 5 years and Standard Fluidmaster are available most stores on emergency. Just proves to me ... Don't believe all you read especially from the so called experts.

Terry
11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Cabazon,
I guess your next step is to install the Costco Titan disposer (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?23136-Costco-Titan-Premium-Food-Waste-Disposer-review-and-comments)on your kitchen sink. That's a real winner too.
It's nice and light weight, heck, you could play football with it. What wonders they do with plastic.
Other disposers use metal, but not this lightweight disposer. If you like things made of plastic with motors that spin, then this is it. Plastic................Wow!

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11257100/reviews.htm

http://www.terrylove.com/images/costco_titan_disposer.jpg

jonjonbear
12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I Have read all the threads on many toilet forums. I decided to install the Costco WR single dual despite all the bashing by the so called expert Plumbers. So far I can safely say I have flushed down all the bad S*** quietly and quickly down this wonderful toilet. Totally impressive. I checked out Costco's proven return policy and the easily reached 1-866- 789-2273. ( Number printed on the box was wrong (886)) Provide all free parts and replacement for 5 years and Standard Fluidmaster are available most stores on emergency. Just proves to me ... Don't believe all you read especially from the so called experts.

I posted here two years ago regarding my first purchase of the Costco Water Ridge dual flush. I had also just installed the Toto Aquia III (400.00) in my master bath. I HATE the toto. Looks beautiful, horrible design. It's like crapping in a coffee cup. water spot is tiny, so every time you use it, get the brush out. They could have at least put that super slick stuff in the china like some of their others. It wasn't too bad when you could get that teflon toilet spray.
I bought a second WR for the other bath, so far only one of them required a new flush tower, which I called the toll free number and they quickly sent me a new one free of charge, 1.5 years later. It did the same as others have mentioned, it hangs up and keeps running. I tried to figure out the problem but couldn't.
I would replace the dang toto and kick it to the curb, except I had to drill holes in the floor to mount it..Terrible.. Only thing it's good at is looking good. None of them (Toto or WR) have stopped up, so that isn't an issue with any of them for me.
John

jadnashua
12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Dual-flush toilets CAN'T have a large water spot, because, when you use the small flush, it must still evacuate the entire bowl. If the bowl was the same size as a 'normal' toilet, and you used that small amount of water, you'd be leaving a diluted, but still nasty bit there. This is true for ANY dual-flush toilet. Diet and where you sit on a toilet somewhat determine how many, if any, skid marks you get in a toilet.

jonjonbear
12-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Dual-flush toilets CAN'T have a large water spot, because, when you use the small flush, it must still evacuate the entire bowl. If the bowl was the same size as a 'normal' toilet, and you used that small amount of water, you'd be leaving a diluted, but still nasty bit there. This is true for ANY dual-flush toilet. Diet and where you sit on a toilet somewhat determine how many, if any, skid marks you get in a toilet.

Well, hate to tell you but the WR DUAL FLUSH toilet has a full size water spot. Works great even on the half flush.

MTGuy
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I just purchased one of these push-button dual flush models from Costco to replace a 20 year old higher end toilet that has been having continual problems for some time. I have a fair amount of past experience in plumbing so I did not expect too much from this toilet ($90 for everything needed), but since it was going in our least used bathroom, I thought I would give it a try. It installed easier than any other 2-piece I have ever installed. Absolutely no problems, not even any adjustments, although I did use brass closet bolts & nuts rather than those provided. I didn't particularly like the seat, it initially seemed somewhat flimsy and I planned to replace it, but it went on solidly without problem so I'll give it a try as well. The flushing seems very good so far, but time will tell as to how reliable it is. I can say this, it is easily the finest "cheap" toilet I have ever bought or installed. I am a bit worried that replacement parts will be hard to come by, if available at all, when they are inevitably needed. Hopefully I can "duct tape or wire" anything that breaks and I remain happy with this apparent "steal" of a deal. Oh, BTW, the water spot or at least the bowl water level, is indeed higher than any other low volume toilets I have seen. I think this would be an advantage.

Wally3433
01-13-2011, 05:05 AM
I saw the Waterridge Dual Flush toilets at my local Costco for $85, including the gradual seat drop. No, Costco does not sell parts, but they also don't ask questions when you return products. So, would you rather go to a plumbing supply house four years from now and buy $20 - $100 in parts to fix your toilet, or return the whole thing and get a new one? This is the trade off you have in purchasing items from Costco.

Berlin
02-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Can I use some other parts for this toilet as mine is sticking in open position and water runs all the time. I must fiddle with it to stop it from runing all the time. Can you recomend a better valve system or should I replace the whole toilet. Thanks.

hj
02-01-2011, 04:55 AM
It would help if we had a picture of it, since we have NO idea which brand or model toilet Costco sold you.

Berlin
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
hj the toilet is Waterridge Thanks for the info.

Berlin
02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info, what kind of toilet dual flush would you recoment.

Wally3433
02-05-2011, 08:19 AM
berlin

just return the toilet to costco - you'll have a full refund in about 60 seconds. use the money to buy a new one there or someplace else.

You can also call Waterridge and they should send you free parts and/or authorize a refund over the phone. I have done this with laminate flooring - as it would be cumbersome to bring in a bunch of torn up flooring into costco for a refund.

RogerPDX
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
The manufacturer of the latest WaterRidge dual flush toilet at Costco is Globe Union.
They make in in China, and it looks like they use the bowl manufacturer "Milim".

The MAP report is #18-005, Item # C21083c.
It says that it is rated for 1000g.

Can this actually be true, for a .9 /1.6 dual flush toilet?

It's sells for $80, here in Portland Oregon.

Looks good, and the dual action valve in the tank looks good too. It is also a 3"er, with a 2" glazed trapway. Comes with everything that you need to install it too.

Costco works on 10% to 12% m/u, so this would be about $120 to $150 at a store like Home Depot.

Has ANYBODY tried this toilet? I am not interested in taking a toilet back to the store! Who needs the headache? I just want it to work well, without problems...

My money is on the Drake II, but who's to say?

Serene
03-12-2011, 08:24 AM
@RodgerPDX
I have one of these and, overall, I give it a C+ grade. It's better than the 17 y/o contractor grade Mansfield that it replaced. There are trade-offs for it being so cheap: the documentation is full of errors; I had to use my “bubble gum & bailing wire” experience during the installation; the wax ring is too cheap – spend $2 on a real one; the seat feels real cheap. Its flushing performance is almost as good as my Drake 1 toilet. I got it in January, so I can't speak to its reliability. A big minus is that even though it has the WaterSense label, it is NOT listed on the EPA website, so does not qualify for the rebate from my water district.:mad: I have it installed in a light use location (~2-5 flushes/day) and I made the right decision (for that location). I would never consider the WR for my main toilet (~25-35 flushes/day).

RogerPDX
03-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your insight. I figured as much, although it is always nice to hear from someone who actually has experience with the item.

I have been researching the best toilet for us lately, and I'm pretty sure it is the Drake II. I am so tired of brown spots/streaks left behind, and the Double Cyclone seems to be the best cleaning action that Toto has. Would you agree?

Elongated bowl and ADA height are important to me too. I really like the Aquia III, (dual flush) but from what I've read, including some comments that a Toto factory Tech has given me, the Aquia doesn't clean as well as the Drake II.

I really only want to do this one time, so I'm trying hard to find the best toilet for us. Here, in our home, the main drain to the street is a new PVC drain all the way... Nice and smooth. I am confident that the solids will move to the street fine.

On the other hand, I also need a new toilet for our beach cabin, which has a 1964 cast iron main drain pipe, some 30' long, that is not smooth inside like the new PVC. I am a bit concerned that the solids and paper might get hung up on the travel to the septic tank, with only 1.28gals. Right now we use 5 gals per flush at the cabin, which works, but is a lot of water for our limited production well.

If anybody has comments regarding the main drain situation, vs 1.28 or 1.6 gals, I would love to hear them!

Terry
03-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Because the Drake uses a 3" flush valve, the drain line carry is fine.
You're not going that far with it either.
Many of the five gallon bowls only use about 2 plus gallons for the actural flush, and then a lot of water goes down after the fact as the tank and bowl refill, but very little amount of water at that time, and very slowly.

SteveW
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your insight. I figured as much, although it is always nice to hear from someone who actually has experience with the item.

I have been researching the best toilet for us lately, and I'm pretty sure it is the Drake II. I am so tired of brown spots/streaks left behind, and the Double Cyclone seems to be the best cleaning action that Toto has. Would you agree?

Elongated bowl and ADA height are important to me too.

If anybody has comments regarding the main drain situation, vs 1.28 or 1.6 gals, I would love to hear them!

--Double cyclone on Totos is great - really washes the bowl well.

--By all means get the "comfort height"

--I have 1.28 and 1.6 Totos and can't tell the difference. I would have no qualms using any Toto 1.28.

ralph1
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I purchased the 1 piece dual flush from Costco about 3 years ago. The first problem was the seat. It slides sideways easily. Solved this by grinding some off of the 2 front bumps on the underside of the seat so they fit into the bowl. The next problem is the sticking open flush. I contacted Water ridge. None of their suggestions worked. They sent me a new flush assembly. It seamed to work at first but then also failed. I have never had a fill valve problem. In three years I have NEVER had a problem with plugging. If I cannot solve the sticking flush problem I will replace this toilet. Any suggestions on replacement part or how to fix this flush assembly

tunnelboy
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I've installed this toilet in our single bathroom house about 3 years ago, and it gets "loads" of use. It is an excellent toilet and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Never once had a clog or any problem for that matter. I've installed 3 others for friends. Two in one house about that same time, and they haven't had any problems either. So I would say this is an exceptional buy. Yes the seat should be discarded straight out of the box. It stinks. That and the bolt caps they use are really weird looking. Replace them with the standard white click-downs. A+ as far as our experience goes.

Reader Review
06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Terry, found you online and I was one of those Costco shoppers who bought a Waterridge dual flush. It is sufficient but I have to time the flush just right as poop is going down. Kind of challenging. One of our toilets the tank does not refill after flushing. We have to take off lid and giggle the part that gets pushed down by lever to engage flush. Any ideas how to fix that?

I would rather not take this out and return to Costco.

Thx for your help. If I cannot fix this I will have to purchse a Toto as you recommend on your website.

Christopher
Whidbey Island, Wa

Costco WaterRidge

luauguy
07-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Have 2 of these pieces of cr*p installed (sorry about pun). Never again would I buy something like these. The flappers stopped working properly after a year. Replacing one flapper only stopped the problem of "phantom flushing" but did not stop the "running on" problem. Both toilets have the running on problem after a year or two. One is the dual flush model, the other is a single flush model.

Also the seats have never fitted properly and constantly slide all over the place, giving worrisome thoughts to males in the house.

The sad thing is, it is hard to return them after you spent all the time & effort in installing them and using them for a while.

Spend some money on more than an $80 toilet and then spend your time doing something useful, like having fun or making money, instead of repairing new toilets. Visit a real plumbing store please.

The most depressing thing about this is that the lovely also bought 4 of these cheap things for a country home we're building..... :(

cwhyu2
07-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Have 2 of these pieces of cr*p installed (sorry about pun). Never again would I buy something like these. The flappers stopped working properly after a year. Replacing one flapper only stopped the problem of "phantom flushing" but did not stop the "running on" problem. Both toilets have the running on problem after a year or two. One is the dual flush model, the other is a single flush model.

Also the seats have never fitted properly and constantly slide all over the place, giving worrisome thoughts to males in the house.

The sad thing is, it is hard to return them after you spent all the time & effort in installing them and using them for a while.

Spend some money on more than an $80 toilet and then spend your time doing something useful, like having fun or making money, instead of repairing new toilets. Visit a real plumbing store please.

The most depressing thing about this is that the lovely also bought 4 of these cheap things for a country home we're building..... :(If they are still in the box send them back!

bobcat378
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I have purchased three faucets from Costco and they were all WaterRidge. You cannot beat the quality for the price. They work just fine. I would rather pay 79 bucks for a faucet that does the job rather than pay over 200 bucks for something I get tired of in a couple of years. I bought a low flush WR toilet and it works great, I keep looking for two more for my home and I believe they have been discoed. The toilet flushes the poop and pee just with one flush, never had to plunge yet. Costco sells good quality stuff, they don't sell crap like Walmart does. I have no complaints.
bob

Urban Contracting
10-03-2011, 06:01 PM
There are now more then twenty "WaterRidge" toilets on the MaP test. When this thread was started, there was only one. A lot depends on "which" Costco product you have for which week. It's changes constantly

As a contractor I've installed dozens of the exact toilet your inquiring about. This toillet should have the name " Super Toilet " . The MaP rating on an average toilet in the 80's was around 150g , the number of grams of solid waste in one flush. Today the average has risen to around 350g , not bad ! This toilet has a rating of 1000g yes 1000g - not a typo so feel good about buying this toilet - personally i'd like to meet the engineers so i could tell them how great a job they did . :)

jadnashua
10-03-2011, 06:40 PM
As a contractor I've installed dozens of the exact toilet your inquiring about. This toillet should have the name " Super Toilet " . The MaP rating on an average toilet in the 80's was around 150g , the number of grams of solid waste in one flush. Today the average has risen to around 350g , not bad ! This toilet has a rating of 1000g yes 1000g - not a typo so feel good about buying this toilet - personally i'd like to meet the engineers so i could tell them how great a job they did . :)

The MAP test is quite different now than it was, so comparisons other than within the same years, are essentially meaningless. Plastic wrapped paste verses bare paste makes a huge difference. The old test was closer to the real thing, the new one is mostly marketing, but still has some validity. The plastic wrapped stuff is much slipperier, so it gains more velocity rather than sticking, so you can flush more.

billtell
11-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Water Ridge High-Efficiency Toilets with Dual Flush MODEL NUMBER 53315

I have two of these toilets and they work extremely well. The poo button (bigger flush) is unnecessary for poo 99% of the time. Maybe we have small poos:)

The information by some people on this blog is patently false. I don't understand why they would try to discredit the Water Ridge brand. Is it because these toilets are made in China? Is it because they want to sell more expensive toilets? Is it because they want to make themselves seem expert? Who knows?

Don't pay attention to them.

I called Costco Customer Service 866.789.2273 and was told the toilets have a lifetime guarantee. They also said parts are readily available.

I replaced two water efficient American Standard toilets that stopped working properly (they used more and more water). I wound up replacing the inner workings but they still were not satisfactory. So things can happen to any brand.

As I said my Water Ridge 533515 toilets work perfectly.

billtell
11-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Water Ridge High-Efficiency Dual Flush Model 533515 - COSTCO Edit Blog Entry

I have two of these toilets and they work extremely well. The poo button (bigger flush) is unnecessary for poo 99% of the time. Maybe we have small poos

The information by some people on another blog on this site is patently false. I don't understand why they would try to discredit the Water Ridge brand. Is it because these toilets are made in China? Is it because they want to sell more expensive toilets? Is it because they want to make themselves seem expert? Who knows?

I called Costco Customer Service 866.789.2273 and was told the toilets have a lifetime guarantee. They also said parts are readily available.

I replaced two water efficient American Standard toilets that stopped working properly (they used more and more water). I wound up replacing the inner workings but they still were not satisfactory. So things can happen to any brand.

jimingram
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Good review billtell. I bought 12 of these for an apartment building and they work fine. No problems in over 12 months. Costco guarantee is the best.

billtell
11-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I have two of these toilets and they work extremely well. The poo button (bigger flush) is unnecessary for poo 99% of the time. Maybe we have small poos :)

The information by some people on another blog on this site is patently false. I don't understand why they would try to discredit the Water Ridge brand. Is it because these toilets are made in China? Is it because they want to sell more expensive toilets? Is it because they want to make themselves seem expert? Who knows?

jimingram
11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I see you have posted a new thread.

I love these toilets. Put 12 of them in a 12 unit apartment building in San Diego. They work great. No problems in over 12 months

flapwing
12-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I have 3 Costco WaterRidge one-piece (model C22055C) toilets installed mid 2009. Two of them have the common "water keeps running after flush, valve not dropping" problem as well as the "laterally askew moving seat". I called the Costco customer support # 866.789.2273 and for $7.95 shipping I am receiving 2 flush towers and 3 seats. Gotta love Costco....

ralph1
03-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Bought a costco 1 piece about 4 years ago. Had the sticking flush problem,so recently bought a 1 piece dual flush toilet from RONA . It is rated at 700gm, so I expected it to preform better than the costco toilet. It did NOT. Half the time on the high flush it does not flush all the toilet paper down. I called RONA . They said it must be bad drainage line or plugged vent pipe,and not their toilet.Also because it had been installed it was not returnable. I explained that the toilet I just took out did not have this problem. Not returnable and not a problem with their toilet . So I thought I would call costco about the issues with their toilet (what I should have done before buying the RONA toilet) They told me the the costco toilet has a lifetime warranty and there is a new improved flush assembly. I also mentioned the seat problem. They said the seat was still the same, but would send one also. I just had to pay $7.95 for shipping. Received new parts in a few days. The seat is NOT the same as the old one. It looks much better. The flush assembly looks good also ( time will tell). At this point I am very happy with costco and very unhappy with RONA,as I am stuck with a RONA toilet .

roby
03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
I just bought 2 water ridge high efficiency dual flush (1.1gpf/1.6gpf) toilets from costco each for 89.99. Model is C21083C. This model qualifies for $50 county water rebate in Atlanta. I don't know if it qualifies for the $100 for 1.2GPF toilets. It is 16.5" height and has soft closing seat. Seat seemed real flimsy. Haven't installed yet. 3 " standard flush valve. Quiet siphon jet action. 12" rough in. large glazed trapway. Comes with wax ring and fastening bolts. In this thread there are many references to costco water ridge toilets. Just want to know if anyone used the C20183C model (2 piece, dual flush one). Costco's WR single piece one is out of stock and is also expensive. I bought this for a 1964 built house with cast iron drains. I will be renting soon. $40 something for a new water efficient toilet seemed like a good deal. But if it is not a good product, then I may go with something else. Lifetime warranty at costco is great.

NeutrinoMan
03-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Jim is correct. It's too bad there's so many water ridge toilets being returned, and parts being ordered, when the solution is quite simple. Just move down the ratcheting bars.

The problem is, over time, the ratcheting bars push inward because of flushing. I would say it would be better if water ridge had mad the threads thicker, or made the threads from metal, that would prevent this problem. but it's easy enough to fix - once in a while just simple screw them back out.

After some more experimenting, it seems the final answer is:
-turquoise inverted cup - move it down it's ratcheting bar to make the 3L flush stronger
-red sliding door - move it down to make the 6L flush stronger

Jim.

Gary the Electrician
04-03-2012, 06:55 AM
I do not know if anyone has solved the Costco toilet leaking problem, and I am sorry if I missed the solution, but I did repair mine - at no cost.

I really like the toilet and it works well, but I have had re-occurring leaks.

Remove the center flush unit and you will see a large (mine is the color grey) rubber gasket. Remove the gasket and inspect it. If you see any bubbles, which mine had, pop them with a needle. This will let the gasket sit flush (no pun intended) again. This has solved my slow tank leak twice now.

Bigflush
05-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Big mistake to purchase dual flust toilet from Costco. I was supposed to save water but it is end up to pay more.
I have it for 1 yr and the problem started.
The valve does not lower after using big flush, and water keep running. I took out the valve assembly and try outside. It worked as it should be when it was out of water, but not work when it was in the water.
Other issue, the shit got backup inside house sewer system even I flushed twice. Looks like this toilet will be returned. Too bad, it took me 1 day to install on upstair bathroom, now I have to remove it. It's big job.

gnosker
06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I have bought two of these toilets from Costco and love them both. Best toilet I have owned yet. Terry the
so called expert plumber does not know what the hell he is talking about. He just can't sell his toilets for
that kind of money, so he is running down Costcos. Both toilets flush great, and liquid flush I use most
of the time. When it is the solid flush, it does a great job and has plenty of water to flush everything
down. It averages out to 1.2 gal. per flush and saves me a lot of water. I give it an A+

wjcandee
06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I have bought two of these toilets from Costco and love them both. Best toilet I have owned yet. Terry the
so called expert plumber does not know what the hell he is talking about. He just can't sell his toilets for
that kind of money, so he is running down Costcos. Both toilets flush great, and liquid flush I use most
of the time. When it is the solid flush, it does a great job and has plenty of water to flush everything
down. It averages out to 1.2 gal. per flush and saves me a lot of water. I give it an A+

I am not of the opinion that everything from Costco is crap. We get meat, cheese and produce there that rivals anything in the best shops here in Manhattan. Their prices are great, if not always the lowest. More importantly, they focus on service. For example, their truly-excellent and proud service in the tire shop blows away anything I have experienced at the Mercedes dealer. We bought a very expensive, high-quality massage chair there. Paper goods, water, button-down shirts, HP computers, printers, televisions, DVD players, plants, flowers -- all name brands from Costco and all provided with excellent service, excellent support, and an amazing return policy. If they have the thing that you are looking for in the model that you are looking for, it's a great place. If not, you get it somewhere else.

But there is no reason to attack Terry personally for his opinion, which I value and trust. The toilets that he recommends are premium products, even if they are cheaper than many lesser products at places like Home Depot. He expects them to last a long time without problems. He guarantees his installations, which he performs thoughtfully, professionally, and at what seems to this New Yorker to be an amazing price, given his expertise and willingness to do things for free that other plumbers where I live would charge extra for. I expect that because he guarantees his work, he wants to install something that he is (a) not going to get complaints about from the customer and (b) isn't going to have to come back and fix for free within two years. The consensus here and elsewhere is that when you put in a Toto toilet, most likely the only thing you are going to have to fix within the first 5 years, if even then, is the flapper. And maybe, if you get crud in it, the diaphragm on the Korky fill valve. Both of these can be done by mere mortals, and the parts are readily available at almost any local hardware store for less than $5, and at Lowe's for less than that. Ten, fifteen, twenty years from now, if you need to change a valve, there is no reason to believe that you won't be able to find replacement parts easily, cheaply and locally, just like we still can for the more-generic, 50-year-old American Standard toilets.

The consensus about these Water Ridge toilets seems to be that the initial investment is low, and they seem to satisfy many of their purchasers when they work properly, no doubt because there isn't much not to like for $89, and if you find it fun (as I do) to install your own toilet then it's just another fun project to undertake if you have to replace the thing. However, the total initial investment isn't so low if you have to pay someone $300 to put it in; in that circumstance it probably behooves a person to make a little-higher investment in materials to avoid the need for the expensive professional to return to repair or replace the thing.

What also seems to be the consensus about the Water Ridge toilets is that they have a non-standard mechanism that comes out of whack over time. It appears from some comments here that if one knows what to do about that, one may be able to get back in business on one's own. If not, as would be the case for most people (and maybe even many local plumbers unfamiliar with the product), then an expensive headache awaits.

And I don't think that too many can argue that that's the deal.

If you have had a good experience and you are prepared to fix the thing when it finally does break, great. But that's no reason to crassly impugn the integrity of a friendly, honorable guy that understandably doesn't want to be dragging himself back out to a customer over and over to fix something that has now cost the customer more in total cost than the customer would have spent if he had just paid another $120 in materials to get the premium Toto Drake. And customers like that are never happy people. Also, Terry always seems to approach even the most inane questions on here welcomingly and with good cheer. You're entitled to your opinion, but you should be ashamed of yourself.

Terry
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Gnosker,
There are plenty of negative reviews on the Costco WaterRidge and some positive reviews. This one generates a lot of opinions.
We have the bargain hunters that buy on the low end giving a product review on one of the cheapest toilets they can find.
Personally, I work on all the brands, and sell all the brands. I get to work with low end product and high end product. There is a difference. And it's a pretty obvious one. That being said, even the builder grade stuff is approved for use in homes. You bolt it in, and it works for a lot of people. And then there is product that I can even recommend for restaurants, churches and commercial buildings. This isn't one of them.

I'm sure you think I'm a car snob too. I like taking my Toyota 4 wheel drive Highlander up skiing in the Winter. I could have bought a VW Bug. I'm not a bug guy though.

I'm not liking this trapway on the WaterRidge bowl. It might work for for some if you needs aren't much, but it's a bit on the small side and has that strange offset at the exit of the bowl. Ouch!

SteveW
06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Terry,
Very classy response! I would have not been as nice or as patient as you.

Gnosker,
Really bad form to join a free internet DIY site like this, hosted, for FREE, by Terry, and which has attracted really smart and helpful professionals who give DIY'ers like you and me FREE advise.

I have gotten much good advice over the years and have never bought a toilet from Terry (too far away, or I would!)

SkyRiverRat
08-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Terry,
Very classy response! I would have not been as nice or as patient as you.

Gnosker,
Really bad form to join a free internet DIY site like this, hosted, for FREE, by Terry, and which has attracted really smart and helpful professionals who give DIY'ers like you and me FREE advise.

I have gotten much good advice over the years and have never bought a toilet from Terry (too far away, or I would!)

I purchased two of these $79 WR toilets from Costco recently, but wanted to check reviews before installing. In searching the Internet for reviews came across this forum/thread and this DIY site. Lucky for me, I live very close to Terry and may very well take advantage of that! :)

mopilac
08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
I've had my water ridge dual flush toilet for about 4 years now and for the past 2 months it's been draining and refilling and the water bill is ridiculous! Now I'm not sure who to contact for help since this is a product sold only from Costco..I've been trying to do some research on how to fix running toilets but nothing helps. I'm almost positive that the water is draining into the toilet boil and that the seal needs to be replaced; however, I do not know how to remove the dual flush center unit. Can someone please explain to me in very basic terms on how to remove it?

Terry
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
You will need to call Costco for the parts. No hardware stores support the WaterRidge brand.
Normally on the flush valve, you can rotate them out, counter clockwise.

wjcandee
08-22-2012, 01:59 PM
To expand upon what Terry said, I would read the posts on this thread (I know there are a lot) to see what others have done to solve the leak problem, because it's not an uncommon problem with these toilets.

One poster said that he had solved the problem by removing the flush valve, examining the grey seal, and popping any blisters on it that had formed, and that this had solved his slow leak.

As far as getting parts, call Costco Customer Service 866.789.2273 and talk to them about it. Now if you decide to scrap this thing and buy a Toto, which often uses American-made Korky parts, you could call Toto customer service and/or Korky customer service, and either one would actually sit on the phone with you and walk you through the steps necessary to fix your toilet while you are doing it, kind of like how computer tech support does. In this case, I think that the most you can expect from Costco is that they will send you replacement parts under warranty, although they do purport to offer some level of "technical support" when you call.

If you are trying to get the flush valve out of the toilet, the steps would be: (1) turn off the water supply to the toilet at the wall there; (2) flush; (3) disconnect any hoses that go to the flush valve (I'm just not familiar with it so don't know if there are any); (4) rotate the flush valve counterclockwise. If you can't get it out by turning with your hand, I'm not sure you're going to get it out easily. I'm assuming that this is a one-piece toilet, because the method for a two-piece would be different.

Hope this helps, but I think that calling Costco tech support directly is your best bet to start.

And let us know how it goes, so that others can be helped.

wjcandee
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Just a quick and separate observation, using the latest forum member as an example.

I am intrigued by how many folks have been persuaded to view a toilet as a short-term disposable item rather than a long-term capital improvement. I guess that strategy works okay if one doesn't plan to stay in one's house very long, but otherwise it seems so penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Taking today's example with the Water Ridge, the guy must have felt like he made out well by buying it over, say, a Toto EcoDrake, which would have set him back maybe another $100. And I'm sure he felt good about that savings for the first four years. But when the moving parts of the thing eventually wear out, as they will, now comes the comeuppance. Had he purchased a Toto, we could have told him to go to Lowe's (or Ace or any number of independent hardware stores) and come back in 20 minutes with the part he needed, whether it be the Korky Fits Toto flapper or the R528 Fill Valve Repair Cap. And in less than five more minutes, he would have been back in business. Instead, he has a major hassle on his hands, and there are few feelings worse (at least for me) than to know that you have something important that isn't working and you have no idea how to get it working again. Who do I call? What will it cost? Am I better off fixing or replacing? It just sucks.

Now let's see what the delta is on this hassle factor. A customer receives four years of trouble-free service during which time he tells everyone who would listen what a great deal his WaterRidge is. Then he finds himself with a broken product and a bunch of frustration. For about $2/month over that four years, he would have, at the end of four years, no hassle instead of immense hassle. In a ten-year window, we're talking about less than an extra $1/month for the Toto, and we can predict two or more episodes of hassle during that time.

If you look at it that way, it's a no-brainer. And if people bothered to educate themselves, they would walk right past a whole lot of pretty fixtures in the big-box stores and make what we here know to be the right decision. It makes evangelizing for quality plumbing fixtures a rewarding diversion.

mopilac
08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you for your help on removing the flush valve! Now I removed the grey rubber seal and cleaned it (although it really wasn't dirty) and I did not notice any blisters. Now my question is, the black rubber seal at the bottom that is still attached to the tank..could that be the source of the problem? It looks like I have to unscrew it in order to get to the black rubber seal. I'll have to call Costco in the morning when their customer service hours are running.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/img1644pm.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/img1649pv.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/img1643a.jpg/

mopilac
08-22-2012, 06:53 PM
The pictures didn't upload. I'll keep trying so you can see what I'm talking about with the black rubber seal

wjcandee
08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I see what you have there. Personally, I think that's less-likely a location for the leak, but possible. One way to check is to, without reinstalling the dual-flush assembly, put water in the tank to below the bottom of the mouth of the flush valve housing. Make sure it's below that level so none runs through the flush valve opening. Add some food dye in the tank, and wait. If you get any colored water in the bowl, then the leak may be between that black seal and the tank. If not, then that isn't the problem (assuming that the pressure of the additional water doesn't vary your test results, but with enough time, if there's a leak you should see it). One other test: put your flush mechanism back in, turn on the water to fill the tank, then turn off the water and leave it overnight. See how low the water goes by morning. Sometimes, you can find a leak or crack just by evaluating how far down the water goes -- if it's basically-dry in the morning, leak at very bottom of tank. If a little water left in, you can figure out where the seal point is that it's leaking. If water settles to a particular level on several runs of that test, then look there for a crack or other source of water leak. (We had a guy a few weeks ago who couldn't figure out why he was losing about an inch -- and only an inch -- of water in his toilet when he tested by turning off the water. He had a crack in the overflow riser from the top down about an inch or so, and which was obscured by the clip for the refill hose. He kluged the repair with some waterproof tape, and was happy and back in business.

Also, I can't tell from your third photo: is that refill hose "daylighted" above the lip of the overflow riser on the flush valve, or is it shoved down that riser? If it is shoved down the riser, water can siphon from the tank through the fill valve and down that hose into the overflow riser and from there into the bowl.

mopilac
08-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Thank you wycandee! So it wasn't the black rubber seal and was in fact the grey rubber seal of the dual-flush assembly. When I reattached the flush unit, I filled the water about an inch above where the grey seal is and instantly I heard the water dripping and the water in the bowl changed color. I just called Costco and they will send me a new flush valve and hopefully this will solve the problem!

wjcandee
08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Great detective work! When you receive and install the part, let us know how it goes so others will have the benefit of your experience (how long the part takes, how easy to install, whether it solves the problem the first time, etc.). Have a great week!

j1paque
08-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Thank you wycandee! So it wasn't the black rubber seal and was in fact the grey rubber seal of the dual-flush assembly. When I reattached the flush unit, I filled the water about an inch above where the grey seal is and instantly I heard the water dripping and the water in the bowl changed color. I just called Costco and they will send me a new flush valve and hopefully this will solve the problem!

I have the same problem. I also noticed the short flush works fine, the rubber seals it properly. But when using the long flush, it appears the seal is never made again and the drip starts. Did you call your local Costco store or a support number? Did you need a receipt? I need to do the same! :)

j1paque
08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
There is a tab with numbering of 1-5 on the unit. Does anyone know what that is for?

wjcandee
08-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I have the same problem. I also noticed the short flush works fine, the rubber seals it properly. But when using the long flush, it appears the seal is never made again and the drip starts. Did you call your local Costco store or a support number? Did you need a receipt? I need to do the same! :)

In reply 113 above, I told the poster to "call Costco Customer Service 866.789.2273 and talk to them about it", and I'd give the same advice to you. Regarding your question about a need for the receipt, I know that, with computers, they just ask if they have your permission to access your membership purchase info, you say "Yes". They have your complete purchase history available, so they just say, "Okay, the HP BlahBlah with the BlahBlah that you bought on February 24, 2009?". You say, "Yes", and that's it. I assume its the same for the toilets, assuming that you purchased it on your own membership.

Let us know how it goes, so we can help others... And good luck!

mopilac
08-30-2012, 05:19 PM
The new flush unit just came in today and so far so good! It was a different one than the original but the set up was the same; however, there is now the issue of the rods from the flush buttons being too short and it barely reaching the actual flush unit
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/img1682k.jpg/

j1paque,
No receipt is required because I moved into this house with the toilets already installed by the contractor. I told Costco just that and I actually didn't have to pay for anything. Although I know a few other posters paid for shipping..

ralph1
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Bought a costco 1 piece about 4 years ago. Had the sticking flush problem,so recently bought a 1 piece dual flush toilet from RONA . It is rated at 700gm, so I expected it to preform better than the costco toilet. It did NOT. Half the time on the high flush it does not flush all the toilet paper down. I called RONA . They said it must be bad drainage line or plugged vent pipe,and not their toilet.Also because it had been installed it was not returnable. I explained that the toilet I just took out did not have this problem. Not returnable and not a problem with their toilet . So I thought I would call costco about the issues with their toilet (what I should have done before buying the RONA toilet) They told me the the costco toilet has a lifetime warranty and there is a new improved flush assembly. I also mentioned the seat problem. They said the seat was still the same, but would send one also. I just had to pay $7.95 for shipping. Received new parts in a few days. The seat is NOT the same as the old one. It looks much better. The flush assembly looks good also ( time will tell). At this point I am very happy with costco and very unhappy with RONA,as I am stuck with a RONA toilet .6 months since new parts. So far working perfect. Use only the low flush for both #1 and #2 and has worked perfect EVERY time. There is a simple minor adjustment required on the push buttons to work properly with the new flush assembly. The new seat is much better and is satisfactory. Because this Costco toilet flushed everything down before and after the Rona auberhaus toilet, it is obvious the poor flushing with the Rona toilet is the Rona toilet and not my drainage or vent. Very satisfied with Costco. Not satisfied with Rona.

wjcandee
09-04-2012, 11:37 PM
There is a simple minor adjustment required on the push buttons to work properly with the new flush assembly.

Can you describe that adjustment here so others who happen upon this site -- and our friend MOPILAC in the post above -- can benefit from the explanation? Thanks!

ralph1
11-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Can you describe that adjustment here so others who happen upon this site -- and our friend MOPILAC in the post above -- can benefit from the explanation? Thanks!
Adjustment may be needed after replacing old style flush mechanism with new style as new style appears to be a bit shorter.If you have to push the flush buttons too far to get it to flush,remove tank lid and turn it upside down. There are 2 plastic threaded rods. One attached to the full flush button and one attached to the low flush button. The end of the threaded rod is screwed into the flush button. There is a lock nut on the threaded rod where it screws into the flush button. The nut does not look like a normal nut and I had trouble at first to tell it was a nut. Loosen this nut by turning it counter clockwise. You may need to carefully use pliers or needle nose pliers. Now unscrew the threaded rod a few turns. Put the cover on and try it.Remove cover and adjust as necessary to get it as like it. Do the same on the other one. Re-tighten the lock nuts. My toilet is a old one piece and I do not know if the newer ones or 2 piece are the same. Still using only the low flush without a single problem. P.S. Sorry I took so long to reply. You probably have all figured this out by now on your own, but just in case.

wjcandee
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
I appreciate you sharing your discovery!

Jarrodsmom
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I have two of the Water Ridge toilets and have never had any problems with them except for the seat. Is there anyway way to change them?? Also trying to figure out which button is which is a challenge. No manual in the boxes I got.

db4elle
11-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi Terry, found you online and I was one of those Costco shoppers who bought a Waterridge dual flush. It is sufficient but I have to time the flush just right as poop is going down. Kind of challenging. One of our toilets the tank does not refill after flushing. We have to take off lid and giggle the part that gets pushed down by lever to engage flush. Any ideas how to fix that?

I would rather not take this out and return to Costco.

Thx for your help. If I cannot fix this I will have to purchse a Toto as you recommend on your website.

Christopher
Whidbey Island, Wa

Costco WaterRidge

Hey Christopher,

You may have replaced your toilet by now, but I have 3 of the same ones as in your picture, and they all leaked. That is, when flushing, the valve would get stuck and remain in the OPEN position unless you jiggled the buttons as you described.

Since I'm an engineer and like taking things apart and fixing them (after getting replacement flush cartridges from WaterRidge didn't help), I did just that, and I think I found an alternate solution that I haven't been able to find online yet.

It seems that during the manufacturing process of the flush button assembly, the axle on which the flush lever pivots contains a casting line (two in fact). Sometimes these casting lines can jam the lever in the 'flush' position causing the leak and preventing the tank from filling. The solution to this problem is to open up the assembly, remove the lever, and using some find sand paper or emery cloth, polish the axle until it is very smooth and perfectly round. This should fix the jamming of the lever and the leaking of the water.

I posted some more details (pictures and a video) HERE (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-leaking-Water-Ridge-dual-flush-toilet-f/).

It might not be very clear because it was midnight when I wrote the solution, so if its not, let me know and I'll try and explain it a bit better. Hope this works for someone! Apart from the leaking valve these toilets are great :)

Grace99
12-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I purchased three of these about a year ago....in Oregon we get water credits for installing low flow toilets so I got three of them for three bathrooms. They use very little water.

They have all worked perfectly until recently, one of them has a sticking flush mechanism. I tried lubricating it but to no avail. Under the lid, there is a contact number, the model number, and so I called it. They are sending the replacement flush mechanism...no muss, no fuss.

The toilets sold for $75 at Costco, and each one carried a $50 rebate from the State. So they cost $15 each, and are great. The company satisfied my issue instantly. How could you do better than that?

breplum
12-08-2012, 10:27 PM
I have quite a few of the WDI Ecoflush products installed around and they have all had issues with the flush lever section failing over a few year period. WDI has been very good and easygoing with sending replacements, but they do charge me for shipping before sending! And as long as your customer's don't mind changing out the lever mechanism themselves, then it is a quick fix.
But if I make a service call every time one goes bad, it obviously is incredibly annoying and unsatisfactory for the customer.

I stopped selling any brand that uses the EcoFlush.

AgouraHillsPlumber
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I completely agree. They have great prices, but you are right. Kirkland is their money maker, so I wouldn't count on any longevity for anything other than that

wjcandee
02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
They have all worked perfectly until recently, one of them has a sticking flush mechanism. I tried lubricating it but to no avail. Under the lid, there is a contact number, the model number, and so I called it. They are sending the replacement flush mechanism...no muss, no fuss. ... The company satisfied my issue instantly. How could you do better than that?

Better would be to have a flush mechanism, like the one in the Toto Aquia, that doesn't fail, particularly one that doesn't fail within a year after installation. For a person that isn't a do-it-yourselfer, paying a plumber to come fix the thing -- and maybe make two trips because he won't have that part and will have to order it -- will instantly eat up the difference in cost after the first trip.

wijnand van der net
04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
I bought 2 of these toilets, installed them and unfortunately broke the tank lid of 1

Contacted Costco's # given and arranged to have another shipped out, NO problem, I had it in 4 days

I inquired about carrying spare repair kits and was told its not neccasary as they are available anytime, just a phone call away.

I am a Building manager and we have American standard and Kohler low flush toilets installed in the apartments, and every now & then, we have a back up, in fact my old toilet, 18 years old, where I live now used to back up too.
so if the WR backs up, its no different.

The toilet is higher than normal and the seat unless you stand on it, is quite comfortable and sturdy enough

I'm quite happy with Costcos product & service.
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

VAN

Costco is introducing a new Dual Flush Toilet that is rated as 1.6gpf and 1.1gpf respectively and it has a “Fluidmaster” 2” valve system. The name of the unit is “Waterridge” Item No. 386082 and it is made in China, seemingly for Costco. Waterridge appears to be the manufacturer. September 14 2007

I cannot find any information on the Web (including TerryLove) regarding this toilet or its manufacturer. Is this a quality toilet? Would I be flushing my money down the toilet if I purchased, actually two. My local water authority has no information about this product. I would appreciate any information or opinion you might have.
Thanks.

Veefre
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I bought 2 of these toilets, installed them and unfortunately broke the tank lid of 1

Contacted Costco's # given and arranged to have another shipped out, NO problem, I had it in 4 days

I inquired about carrying spare repair kits and was told its not neccasary as they are available anytime, just a phone call away.

I am a Building manager and we have American standard and Kohler low flush toilets installed in the apartments, and every now & then, we have a back up, in fact my old toilet, 18 years old, where I live now used to back up too.
so if the WR backs up, its no different.

The toilet is higher than normal and the seat unless you stand on it, is quite comfortable and sturdy enough

I'm quite happy with Costcos product & service.
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

VAN

I have two WaterRidge toilets from Costco. Both are one-piece. One was purchased quite some time ago (I'm thinking five years) but it sat in my garage in the box until last December when I finally decided to install it. It is similar to the one pictured in the previous message, with the fluted base, fully exposed trapway and a standard 15" bowl height. It seems to have the Fluidmaster fill valve, as well. It has worked extremely well for the past six months - better than the circa 1965 vintage American Standard it replaced. No problem flushing liquids, paper, and solids. Unlike the A/S, it has never clogged. The seat height is good because I put an electronic bidet seat on it that raises it up to about 17" anyway. A 17" bowl height would have been too tall for that. The tank is not lined, but this is generally not a problem with our arid summers here. The model number is C22055C.

I was pleased enough with it that I bought a second one, part number C22133C. The box says it's the "Parisian" model. It's got a smooth base, partially concealed trapway, and 17" ADA compliant seat height. It has a styrofoam lined tank, not sure if that matters. I recently installed that, replacing a 1941 vintage Kohler 4518 unit which gobbled water and needed its flush valve and fill valve replaced anyway. This one also works very well, although I have noticed that it seems to be a bit more miserly with water on the flushes than the earlier model. It has updated fill and flush valves - which unfortunately don't match the illustrations in the owner's manual. They do not appear to be adjustable, so I guess I'll have to call WR to find out if there are adjustments or an updated owner's manual. The bowl fill is less than with the previously model, but I'm not sure if that makes much difference.

On the model with the exposed trapway, I can see that there may be a 90 degree bend in the trapway just before the floor drain. I suppose stuff could collect there but I figure that if stuff has made it through the rest of the trap it's not going to stop just before the floor drain. Next time I'm at Costco I'll take a look at their display model(s) to see if that bend is anything major. The rectangular look of the trapway just under the bowl is there for a purpose: the main water flush is delivered in that direction, horizontally from front to back, and this is what enables the toilet to use less water but still propel solids through the trap. Since the toilet has had no clogs, unlike the vintage model that preceded it, I'm guessing the final bend in the path is nothing to worry about.

In any case, I'd recommend these units. They are both rated at 1000g flush power, and are quite reasonably priced for what you get. The price I paid was about $140 each, and I got a rebate on one from the local water company of about $100, which is not too shabby ($40 net cost!). I prefer the one-piece construction as it is easier to keep clean and looks neater, although it's more expensive, and possibly more difficult to install than a two-piece. Costco is selling the one-piece equivalent for about $90.

With both toilets I've noticed that if one pushes and holds down the either flush button, the unit will deliver more water, up to the maximum in the tank. A quick push just delivers the metered amount.

I also have a WaterRidge kitchen faucet and it's worked very well. And when the rubber boot on the pushbutton spray head control cracked and started leaking a little, WR sent me a new spray head with no fuss. I assume the same level of service would apply to these toilets. I have a call into WR/Costco to get updated adjustment instructions for the newer C22133C toilet flush and fill valves... waiting for an email...

wjcandee
07-12-2013, 04:48 PM
By the way, speaking of Costco, I was intrigued to see that they now sell the Caroma Sydney 270, which uses an offset flange adapter to fit either 10" or 12" rough-ins. More importantly, they claim it has a FOUR INCH trapway. Can that be right? Wouldn't that be a challenge (or at least a little misleading) given how many people have 3" closet bends?

JJLEPR
10-01-2013, 04:54 PM
You are one lucky person. Just got off the phone with Costco Customer service and they wanted to charge $84 to send two flush devices for the dual flush Water Ridge toilet. Unreal. Time switch toilets and try to buy a mainstream manufacturer.

ralph1
11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
You are one lucky person. Just got off the phone with Costco Customer service and they wanted to charge $84 to send two flush devices for the dual flush Water Ridge toilet. Unreal. Time switch toilets and try to buy a mainstream manufacturer.

I have never paid more than $7.95 for shipping and parts are free as they have lifetime warranty. I have a one piece that is several years old and is working fine. I recently purchased 3 of the newer style. I have installed only 1 so far. It does not work as well as the old one, but is satisfactory. I do like the new seat better than the old one so far.

oto
12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
My Costco single piece dual flush tank is slowly leaking and I hear it refill occasionally, and one of the flush buttons wasn't fully popping back up into place (although enough to fully clear the flush mechanism, so that the water refilled and stopped).

I called Globe Union 866-789-2273 and went through the call-tree to selecting Consumer and then Parts. They asked about the color of the flush mechanism and determined it was an older design (yellow track down the side). They are sending an updated flush mechanism (blue on side), the plungers that go into the tank cover, and a new seat; all under warranty at no charge.

They sent a confirmation email with installation instructions. It looks like a 20 minute task, requiring only a philips screwdriver.

oto
12-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Follow up: It took 15-20 minutes. The emailed instructions were very complete. Installing the new seat took a few more minutes. The attachment bolts with oblong metal inserts look improved, over the plastic washers.