second floor laundry closet

Users who are viewing this thread

Cincinnati

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Love

I have a second floor closet in the middle of my 100 year old home and I'm thinking of placing my washer and dryer hook-up in this space. The space is avaliable to allow me to do this job. My question is that when discharge water from the washer will be leaving and entering into a two inch drainage pvc pipe and falling down after leaving the trap in the area of the closet will there be a problem with venting? (the fall will be about twevle feet) This two inch pipe will be entering into the basement where at this time my w/dryer is presently there without any problems. I do have a lot of area in the basement that allows me to run any direction. Can you please help?

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm assuming by the name that you're in the greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. The code in Ohio regarding drainaige for a washer box has also changed. The stack that the washer box drains to has to now be 3" where it used to be 2". This is according to Ralph Reeb, chief plumbing inspector for the state of Ohio. I have had a couple of inspectors (city of Hamilton and Hamilton County) allow the vertical to be 2" but as soon as it turns horizontal it had to be 3". This was due to spacing restrictions. In addition, you'll need a 1-1/2" vent extending either through the roof or tying into an existing vent stack at least 6" above the flood level rim of the waher box.

Cincinnati

Reaction score
venting in second floor closet

Dear Mr. Love

Would you please explain what is a self venting drainage system? I am asking this because I have a second floor closet that I might turn into a laundry closet which is not close to a venting stack.

Thank you

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Self vented? Sounds like you're talking about a combination drain/vent system which still has a vent extending through the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks