Exhaust Fan Replacement Timer

Users who are viewing this thread

Shrapnel

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing a conventional switch in the bathroom which controlled the exhaust fan. I am placing a timer instead. Upon opening the switch box, I noticed that I only have 1 - black, 1 - white, 1 - bare ground. Therefore, I assume the source is at the fixture.

Exhaust fan is 13 Amps, therefore I figured I needed a 20A Timer (requires white neutral connection). Now, my question is, if the source is at the fixture (fan), would it be safe to use a 5A Timer (which doesnt require a white neutral connection)? If not, how do I connect the timer without access to the extra wire.

Hope this makes sense, I am new at this.

Thanks,

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Is this a residential exhust fan? Also if this fan actually draws 13 amps, this will definitely be a problem with a 5 amp switch....

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Chris75 said:
Is this a residential exhaust fan?

I see the sheet rock pulling off the walls and the commode lid standing straight up every time the fan is turned on.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Shrapnel said:
Hi, I'm replacing a conventional switch in the bathroom which controlled the exhaust fan. I am placing a timer instead. Upon opening the switch box, I noticed that I only have 1 - black, 1 - white, 1 - bare ground. Therefore, I assume the source is at the fixture.

If those black and white wires were/are connected to the switch, I would guess the black is hot and that the white carries power from the switch to the fan motor already connected to a common (white) on the other side of its windings.

Shrapnel said:
Exhaust fan is 13 Amps ...

As others have already suggested, that is very unlikely ... and here is a nice timer to consider once you get the amperage issue sorted out:

http://www.wattstopper.com/products/details.html?id=105

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
timer

If the timer has a separate neutral, it must be electronic, so unless you can extend a neutral to the timer you cannot use it. Why not use a mechanical timer that has a knob that turns to the amount of time desired with a maximum of say, 30 minutes?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
If the timer has a separate neutral, it must be electronic, so unless you can extend a neutral to the timer you cannot use it. Why not use a mechanical timer that has a knob that turns to the amount of time desired with a maximum of say, 30 minutes?

I'm with Furd and hj on this. Any good hardware, or big box, store will have a variety of spring wound timers, with different max. durations (some up to several hours).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks