Wet tile around the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Custom Resource

Reaction score
We installed a brand-new toilet in an apartment that is not yet occupied (I mention this to rule out frequent flushing as an issue). The floor is this gorgeous white marble tile, the top of which has been sealed. However, around the toilet base the marble is darker in a halo radiating from where the wax ring is located. Though not wet to the touch, it looks as though the toilet is leaking slowly out into the tile and grout. Does this signify a common leak? Is the toilet improperly seated?
Could the master plumber we used have screwed this up?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the toilet is flushed, or there is an internal leak, there isn't normally any water in the drain line. Sounds like you may have an internal leak, so it could be a defective toilet. Another thing, but normally only if it is used, is condensation. But, if you don't flush it, it doesn't get/stay cold enough to have any condensation and dripping. Last, if it does leak when flushed, once things get wet, it can take as much as 10-days for the tile to dry out. I say that from my limited experience when setting tile - the moisture from the thinset will discolor some tile for that long until it sets and dries out.

Sounds like you need to remove the toilet and see what's happening.

Custom Resource

Reaction score
I was just hoping some grizzled veteran plumber would reply with something like "Darker grey ring around your toilet in a white marble floor, you say? Well that's a standard 'moisture halo'. It's a sign of an excellent installation. It occurs during the first two months of a toilet's life and will clear up naturally."
I figured our guy is gonna have to come back. Darn.
And as for its gorgeousness, well, it just makes it that much more frustrating to see something like wet tile around the toilet.

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
wet tile...

Did you install a new angle stop and supply line?I had a job where the angle stop leaked just alittle after being disturbed.The copper supply line was on a little bit of an angle .water ran back into the wall and dripped down,worked its way under vinyl floor and discolored the vinyl.
BTW, did you use white thinset under the marble?I've seen grey thinset
"ghost" thru white marble tile as it was drying.Didn't go away.Had to be removed and redone.(I had a very unhappy homeowner,very very unhappy tilesetter!!)

Custom Resource

Reaction score
Yes, white thinset under tile... all the tile was done at once so it's definitely wetness I'm looking at. And yes, new angle stop and supply line to the wall (no further). It's definitely water coming from the base of the toilet and definitely not wetting any exposed surface. I'm seeing the wet tile through the sealed top surface, which makes me really nervous about the extent of damage if we don't deal with it soon.

I understand the homeowner's pain-- but tilesetter should be thrilled there was more work to do... in theory.

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
pain...

Custom Resource said:
I understand the homeowner's pain-- but tilesetter should be thrilled there was more work to do... in theory.

Tilesetters mistake...tilesetters pain!(financially)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks