Concrete Storm Room Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

horstman

Reaction score
Help!

We need to remodel the basement of our 1950 2-story house but first need to remove a cement storm shelter. The room is 7x10 and has 2 cement block walls, 2 foundation walls and a 6" poured cement ceiling. Any advice?

MH

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
Removal...

The ceiling is going to be the problem.6" of concrete is alot of weight...Foundation walls?Are these part of the existing basement foundation?
(is the room in a corner?pictures would help.)
A jackhammer and alot of wheelbarrow work hauling out debris is in your future!!
It's a shame you can't incorporate it into the remodel.Make a great pantry,
walk in freezer,music room.
Just a thought...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have two suggestions. First one. Leave it. As previously noted, there is mega weight in that ceiling, and when you remove the two load bearing walls, it's going to come down. You will be risking your safety and possibly the house foundation. Second suggestion. If you still feel you must remove it, hire a professional concrete cutting company that can do it safely, properly, and who will clean up the mess.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
I have two suggestions. First one. Leave it. As previously noted, there is mega weight in that ceiling, and when you remove the two load bearing walls, it's going to come down. You will be risking your safety and possibly the house foundation. Second suggestion. If you still feel you must remove it, hire a professional concrete cutting company that can do it safely, properly, and who will clean up the mess.

Ditto!

I just removed old plaster walls in a half bath. So we're talking about 1/2" thick in a very small room. Maybe 5'x4'. I put all the plaster in the back of my truck and the truck was feeling it.

You're talking about a lot of weight. Major safety issue.

Tom

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
horstman said:
... storm shelter ... 7x10 and has 2 cement block walls, 2 foundation walls and a 6" poured cement ceiling.

With all the walls being block and only one of them an actual basement wall, we have essentially the same sitting in the corner of the crawl space under our added-on living room (outside the original house). I have pondered that concrete ceiling many times and I seldom back away from anything, but the safe removal of that slab has me completely stumped.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
If You Demo

remove any dirt above concrete ceiling. Place used truck casings on slab deck
inside. Demo with air jack best, or Bosh 60 lb. Elec. jack hammer. Can't believe
The ceiling wouldn't be reinforced with re bar. This will let it come apart in small pieces. You'll see this right after a few cuts. Good luck!

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't know where you live, but with the increase in violent storms, I would be prone to keep it.

R

Rancher

horstman said:
The room is 7x10 and has 2 cement block walls, 2 foundation walls and a 6" poured cement ceiling.
It might be a storm shelter, but from the age of the house it was most likely built as a BOMB shelter, remember the cold war? Just about any owner built house in the 50's had one, they make good cold storage rooms for perserves and caned food stuff.

Rancher

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Rancher,

That was also my first thought, but it was being described as a storm shelter. From current news, it would appear the cold war is still upon us, or is about to be.

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
Back hoe, would be my suggestion,

But suggest to leave it, basements are not that good for storm tornadoes, the house can blow off or cave in to the basement, that is why they built a separate cellar off to the side of the house.
Many are done that way around here, and I jsut built a new cellar/storm room for my family a few years ago.

R

Rancher

PEW said:
That was also my first thought, but it was being described as a storm shelter. From current news, it would appear the cold war is still upon us, or is about to be.
Remember even if the cold war ended someone forgot to dismantle all those nuclear missiles that we have aimed at them and they have aimed at us.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks