Faint sewage smell

Users who are viewing this thread

kelly001

Reaction score
We recently--past 8 months--bought the house we are living in. In the past few weeks, I've been noticing at times, some faint sewage smells. I noticed them in our second floor bathroom, in our kitchen sink and our laundry sink in the basement. All three are vertically aligned in the house.

I noticed that when someone does number two in the bathroom upstairs and then flushes, you can very shortly after smell some faint sewage in the kitchen sink. The smells do not happen on a daily basis.

We do not have any gurgling or problems with drainage.

I just had the septic tank pumped and it didn't help the matter.

What do you suggest? Try a deodorizer?

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Traps are under all fixtures (toilets have built-in traps) to hold water to prevent sewer gas from entering your home.
It sounds like you need to clear the main vent stack on the roof.
If it gets partially clogged with a birdnest, leaves or other debris, it will cause this gas-preventing trap water to siphon out as the drain/waste/vent system drains water through it by creating other "vents" by draining traps and allowing sewer gas back in.
Go up on the roof (carefully), remove all debris that you can reach by hand, and then flush down the vent stack with a water hose sprayer. If it is really clogged, you may even have to snake it from top to bottom with a heavy-duty snake, but that usually isn't necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks